4 & 5. Because Roses are Red, and Violets are Blue: [Texas]

by Ella_Mercy

4. Because Roses are Red, and Violets are Blue: Part 1 [Texas]

It was the first day of the semester today. Mama drove me into school in her SUV, the silver one, not the blue one. The silver one kicks ass.

It was very hot; the road was dusty and red. Kinda like how it was when we went on safari in Africa. But that was boring- and today is the opposite of boring.

I watched the other kids walking to school and I felt happy. Happy that I was privileged. Happy that I was loved. Happy I was Katy. And most especially happy that I was still the only girl in my tight knot of a family: the airplane hadn’t landed from London, in the night, like it was supposed to: apparently it got delayed by the weather. Whatever. I looked out of the window and saw my “friends” waiting for me. I flicked back my long hair and brushed Sue’s cheek with my lips, then I got out of the car and walked into school.

5. Because Roses are Red, and Violets are Blue: Part 2 [Texas]

It was the first day of the spring semester today. I drove Katy into school in the SUV; upon her command it was the newer silver one, not the blue one. Katy had said, “The blue one sucks ass.” And that had been enough to change my mind. My darling daughter’s happiness.

It was very hot; the road was dusty and red. Almost like how it was when we went on safari in Africa. But to Katy that had been boring- and this day was, for her, the opposite of boring.

I watched the other kids walking to school. My eyes feel upon a girl walking along the road. Her hair was a dull gold colour, matching perfectly the colour of the skin on her legs. She wore an aquamarine blue bag with white shorts and tennis shoes. She looked like a cheerleader. As she flicked her head around I recognised her face, though I couldn’t quite place it. And I realised, that those these were a petty few facts, I knew more about this cheerleader than I did the girl who had been meant to be coming to stay with me. I remembered with a cringe having to tell Katy how it had gotten delayed by the weather. I didn’t want to stress her with the truth: that the plane was missing and presumed crashed. It was only a small transatlantic, it didn’t even have a first class unit so there was no danger of it being broadcast to Katy’s friends.

I watched as she ran up behind the cheerleader, names were inaudible amongst squeals of delight. I realised that the cheerleader was one of Katy’s friends. I remembered her name: Shelley, and I nodded approvingly to no-one in particular.

And don't forget it's hydrate or diedrate
— zaminami