Defining Anything

by KaiTheGreater

Anything-

(n); A shapeless beast with bats for eyes and keyboard letters for teeth. It has plum-painted nails so sharp they can rip through glass and a nose a little bit like a chipmunk that twitches a lot. It has a parrot-shaped, buffalo-sized tail, sticky toes, and it eats teddy bears on the weekends. It tends to stalk writers through their dreams, instilling fear into the hearts of even the bravest, but in reality is a harmless creature that just wants to be played with. When one plays with it, they may see it transform before their eyes into something mysterious and beautiful.

RituparnaBhowmik wrote a review...

it is really interesting to see something different. but first of all "(n);" is that an emoticon or rather what should have been an emoticon. well as it doesn't appear you would better delete it as it only disturbs. now for the nitpick-
"eats teddy bears on the weekends"- i really like this phrase, it gives it a quite cute description, and even childish.
"When one plays with it, they may see it transform before their eyes into something mysterious and beautiful."- this reminds me of a Shakespearean quote " sweet are the uses of adversity" . you see your imagination is great and well polished and animated, but some readers may not get the hint you suggest as you seem confusing in the line- "in reality is a harmless creature that just wants to be played with."- its not just used as a symbol of terror but also power. i would like to know from where you derived your imagination, and even though i loved your work you struck me with a note where you were against that which is mythical.
is this really a poem? as to me it seemed more like a paragraph then a stanza. clarify this point to me if you have got some free time.
keep writing,
Rituparna

EmeraldLinks wrote a review...

Emerald here for a review!

First off I want to say that I LOVE short poems like this, long ones most often get boring to me in the middle of reading it, but this is a perfect size! This was something interesting and new to me and I enjoyed reading it very much!

One thing you might want to try is to do this next time you do a poem

"A shapeless beast with bats for eyes and keyboard letters for teeth.

It has plum-painted nails so sharp they can rip through glass and a nose a little bit like a chipmunk that twitches a lot."

Although, I can see now you made it the way you did... xD

Well, this was an interesting poem and I hope to see more from you soon Lily!

Rating: 8.9/10
Earned a follower *Thumbs Up*

Dracula wrote a review...

Dearest DragonLily, I am now challenging your draw your lovely, quite haunting, description of the beast named Anything. Lots of love, Dracula.

Seriously though, you've got to have a go at drawing this! I definitely know that I could not, nor could any other artist. But you imagined it, so have a go. :p However, it might be difficult to draw a 'shapeless' beast. This brings me to a question. If it is shapeless, how can Anything have bats for eyes and a shapeless tail? Because bats have a shape, and a tail must have a shape or it isn't a tail. I suggest that instead of saying it's shapeless, say that its shape is always changing, or changes depending on who views it (like a boggart). This was really imaginative though, and I really liked it.

That's a great idea, only I can't draw. Like, at all. :)

Morrigan wrote a review...

Hello again, DragonLily.

I really enjoyed this. I don't know if I find it humorous, but I really liked the ride that you took your readers on. I'm not sure this is poetry, but it is certainly something.

I think you might want to name it something different than "anything," though. Particularly if it specifically stalks writers. Maybe it's imagination, or something, rather than anything.

and a nose a little bit like a chipmunk that twitches a lot.

This is very awkwardly worded. Try saying it like this: "and a twitching nose a bit like a chipmunk's." But really, I want to see the nose compared to something completely unrelated to noses. Like bowling balls. Or cacti.

It tends to stalk
Take out "tends" because it makes that phrase weaker.

I'd like to see how the creature plays. Does it gambol around like a puppy, or does it enjoy chess? It would be interesting to know, and I think it would add something to the piece, as well.

Instead of saying "mysterious and beautiful," give us images that are mysterious and beautiful. Show us, don't tell us.

I hope that this review proves useful to yoU! Happy YWSing!

Thank you for reviewing! :)
This "something" (as we're not quite sure if it's a poem) came to life in the chatroom, actually. I had writer's block, and they told me to write about anything, and so I did. There was quite some speculation about what "anything" might look like, and part of this definition was birthed from their helpful contributions. As to the nose "a little bit like a chipmunk that twitches a lot," after some debate, we decided to leave this open-ended. It is up to the reader to decide whether its nose is like a chipmunk's, or is indeed similar to a twitchy little version of the rodent itself, as clearly stated. I will definitely consider the rest of your advice!

cleverclogs says...

This gives me quite the mental image. XD

People ask if I ever experience writer's block and I just have to laugh... that's my default position.
— Aaron Sorkin