robbery (dg's diary)

by zaminami

your black hair curls around your face,
in a failed attempt to hide the evil glint in your eye.
you shove her into a bag, her leaving willingly.
as if under mind control.
you sling her over the shoulder and run.

the scene reminds me of bank robberies in television --
the robber running while the police watch, helpless,
because if they make a move the thief will shoot.
and i, being a policewoman, would dislike being shot,
especially by such a good shot as you.

the next day i see you sitting in front of her.
you two chatting, despite the fact that
she's the hero, you're the villain.
the one who isn't afraid to brandish religion like a weapon,
the one who denies all things that you have actually done.

"but i haven't done anything!" you say.
that's a lie. a lie created by a robber -- someone untrustworthy.
it's bad enough that you lie. now you have stolen something very dear.
the girl closest to me. the girl who understands.
the only one who can relate to the torture i endure day after day.

just because she's my friend doesn't mean she's yours.
we aren't friends anymore, remember?
do you just want someone who loves you, when no one else will?
because that's exactly what i did.
or do you just want me to be alone forever?

Mathy wrote a review...

Hey there! It's ZeldaIsShiek here to review another quintessential piece of literature that made my day and win this Review Day by helping the Red Pandas stay in first place and reaching my goal of 80 reviews. I might even get to 100, if I work hard enough. I am really excited to review this amazing piece of art that you have created, and maybe add some witty humor as well. Anyway, that's enough idle chatter from me. Let's get into the review.

This poem is an amazing example of imagery in literature. It uses this imagery to paint a picture of a bank robbery- but the bank is your life, your friends, what you wake up for. What was stolen was a friend who was dear to you, now perverted by someone who wants nothing to do with you, presumably someone who she loves. This person wants to steal your childhood friend who is the only person you ever get along with and the only one who understands your pain. The fact that you are the police woman is a very interesting aspect of this poem, however, and I don't quite understand why. Maybe you are one who is trying to get her to be your friend again, but you don't want to risk hurting her? That's why you don't shoot and get her back, because you might miss and hit her instead.

That's all for today. Keep writing amazing literature that inspires me to read and review them, and have a great Review Day! Let's beat the Blues once and for all!

~ZeldaIsShiek

Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:36 am
LadyLoki wrote a review...

Hi there DemonGoddess,

First of all, I really enjoyed reading this poem! Thank you for writing it, I know many people have faced this situation before as well and it is good to have pieces out there that are relatable like this one.

So, I am pretty much just going to be stating some things I noticed and wondered about, I hope that's okay.

I noticed:

-There are five stanzas to this poem.
-Each stanza has five lines, with the possible exception of the opening stanza(?)
-There is absolutely no capitalization in this poem or title.
-In the first stanza, you start literally and transition into figurative. The opposite is true in stanza three.
-The poem begins not with a sense of 'i-ness' but with a sense of 'you-ness'. Which, in turn, actually creates an emotional image of the speaker.
-This poem relates the loss of a friend (to another) heavily to 'cops and robbers'.
-This poem is free verse.

I wonder:

-Is there any particular reason nothing is capitalized? (I am curious to know peoples reasons behind what they do in poetry, I find it quite interesting!)
-Why is the second line crossed out? Is it supposed to be ignored or was it placed there on purpose?
-what inspired the 'cops and robbers' theme? I enjoy it and probably would not have thought of it myself!

I really enjoyed reading this poem, thank you so much for reading it!
As always, let me know if you have any questions or if I was unclear about anything!

Good job, keep writing, and I hope to see more from you in the future!

Lady Loki

zaminami says...

Many poets on this website don%u2019t capitalize to create a feeling of sadness. I also crossed the second line out so it%u2019ll make it seem like it was a thought that I didn%u2019t want to accept. Thank you for enjoying. The cops and robbers theme happened just in my head, ya know? It was suddenly POOF THERE

LadyLoki says...

Ohhhh! That makes a lot of sense, thanks for taking the time to explain! ^-^

Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:48 pm
DeerInBacPac wrote a review...

Hello, E.E here for a possibly quick review and maybe some utter nonsense! Grim is here as well, drinking hot cocoa and being a slacker. *Grim looks over, glaring* So, lets get started. :smt020

((Side not- sorry I haven't review this yet or the other one. I've been meaning to so.. yeah. Sorry but I am here to review now so YAY!))

So, the first thing I notice is that.. well, nothing! It flowed really well and I did not notice any grammar mistakes. I loved the comparison with cops and robbers. It was a nice way to let me or any other readers to see through your eyes. my favorite line would most definetly (<--- could not spell this word for the life of me), be "but i haven't done anything!" you say." This line specifically resonates with me. And will, for sure, speak to others.

Now is when I dissect your poem and see if I can't get its meaning right! So, in your poem you are telling us, the reader, that a person who you were once friends with is either trying to be friends again or they took one from you. You despise them for it, for how they treated you and how they treat you know.

Overall, I loved the poem and keep up the good work! Happy Thanks- WAIT, MERRY CHRISTMAS, I CAN SAY THAT NOW! OR HAPPY HANUKA I really need to go now Grim has souls to reap and he needs more cocoa. He has a problem, seriously. Cheerio and fruit loops to you!

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:11 pm
DeerInBacPac says...

YES YOU POSTED IT YES

they got that magical iridescence that you don't expect to be on a sky rat y'know
— Ari11