z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Wrong Cheese

by Panikos


She’d only wanted some Red Leicester.

As usual, the rational side of her brain had been, well, rational. Go to Tesco, Heather, it had said. If you go to Tesco, you can pick up crackers as well.

But the pyjama goblin side of her brain hadn’t liked that at all. The pyjama goblin side preferred to spend fifteen minutes scrabbling beneath the sofa cushions looking for her wand, and then a further fifteen scouring Google for food-conjuring spells. By the time she’d got everything ready, wand in hand, runes aligned in a slapdash position on the kitchen floor, she could’ve run to Tesco and back twice.

But no matter. Heather waggled her wand, tightening her grip as the wooden tip began to glow. If you played dot-to-dot with the scorch marks on her lino, you’d scribble out the entire thing. Her mother liked to point that out when she visited.

The wand carved an arc in the air, trailing blue mist. A silence. The lights flickered.

Then came a wet pop, and a glob of mozzarella dropped out of the air, slapping against her bare foot. She looked down at it for a few seconds, shaking the slimy water from her toes, and then kicked it into the corner of the room. She turned back to the runes. Twisted a few this way, that way, polished a handful on her pyjama top, and put them back into the ring.

Another wand wave, another trail of fog. Green this time, and more of it. It condensed as a shiny film on the windows, giving them the look of pond water. She’d have great fun scrubbing that off.

A slab of gorgonzola splattered on the kitchen counter, two feet away from where she’d intended to conjure it. The smell hit like a bomb – she clapped her hand to her face, the wand knocking painfully against her teeth. Swearing, breathing shallowly, she cranked the filmy window open and hurled the oozy thing out into the night air. A cat screeched.

Another rearrangement. Another wand wave. Red mist.

Four separate cubes of Edam tumbled down her front, bouncing away like dice. She gathered them up stacked them into a column on the counter.

She swapped the runes. Flourished the wand. Grey smoke.

Feta. She stowed it in the fridge for another time.

Purple smoke. Brie hit the lino.

Orange mist. A volley of halloumi slices rained down, slapping the floor like flip flops against tarmac.

Pink trails. Mascarpone spurted over her leg.

Heather knuckled her eyes and bit down hard on the insides of her cheeks. She just wanted Red Leicester. That was all she wanted.

One last time, she arranged the runes. She touched her finger to each of them, testing the angles, whispering luck charms. She polished the tip of the wand – with the actual cloth, not on her trousers. She breathed in and out through her nose, hand on her chest, feeling the dip and swell of her breath.

She flicked her wrist. A wisp of cloudy white streamed through the kitchen.

Then milk – a sheet of milk, crashing like the tide against a breakwater, rushed through her hair and over the grooves of her face, pouring into her gasping mouth. When she opened her eyes, pale droplets clinging to her eyelashes, the puddle was an inch deep, making islands of the fallen halloumi slices.

Some milk, the rational side of her brain told her, is worth crying over. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
963 Reviews


Points: 187
Reviews: 963

Donate
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:14 pm
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



Goodness! Poor Heather! All she wanted was Red Leicester cheese.She got every kind of cheese imaginable but not the one she wanted.I never tried Red Leicester before.My favorite is Brie, but others will do.I don’t like Swiss,I find it too sweet. As a cheese lover I find this highly amusing.It’s also tragic because she’s never going to get the cheese she wants, no matter how hard she tries. This should be a horror story for how terrifying it is. I hope you have a nice day/night.




User avatar
1485 Reviews


Points: 154066
Reviews: 1485

Donate
Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:15 pm
IcyFlame wrote a review...



Hi there!
I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover (or by its title) but from reading your title I just couldn't resist opening this... I do love some red Leicester!

But the pyjama goblin side of her brain hadn’t liked that at all.
This is wonderful. Great imagery!7

By the time she’d got everything ready, wand in hand, and had runes aligned her runes in a slapdash position on the kitchen floor, she could’ve run to Tesco and back twice.

I think it reads better this way. you had a lot of commas in this sentence and it was beginning to get a little confusing.

If you played dot-to-dot with the scorch marks on her lino, you’d scribble out the entire thing. Her mother liked to point that out when she visited.

I like the little foreshadowing hint here that something is probably not going to work out quite right. However, I'd separate it from the previous line and have it as a statement/paragraph on its own to avoid confusion because it doesn't fit well.

That's all I could find! This was an incredibly well-written and endearing piece of work. I loved the light sense of humour and the last line is absolutely perfect .

I'm sorry I don't have much more to add here, but very rarely do I find something I enjoy this much. Please bring back Heather in another story!

Icy.




Panikos says...


Thank you! This is really helpful. :D



User avatar
522 Reviews


Points: 18486
Reviews: 522

Donate
Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:25 pm
Lavvie wrote a review...



Hi DarkPandemonium! Here I am again, because I am so drawn to your writing.

This story is totally endearing and, funnily enough, pretty relatable! We have all been in that situation where we've had a craving for something and wished that we could just conjure it out mid-air. I love that you took this desire and actually made something out of it. Nevertheless, Heather remains as unsuccessful as ourselves, in a way, because she never got what she wanted. There is a subtly moralizing aspect to this story.

There is little in which to find fault when looking at a story like this, which is so reminiscent of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. I felt that everything flowed and fit well, except for one part. Look at the following:

But no matter. Heather waggled her wand, tightening her grip as the wooden tip began to glow. If you played dot-to-dot with the scorch marks on her lino, you’d scribble out the entire thing. Her mother liked to point that out when she visited.


I find this really confusing and cloudy, particularly the whole dot-to-dot and mother thing. What's the relevance? Mostly, it seems to distract from the story and does not seem very coherent, anyway. With something so short, you really don't have time to provide much side-details if you want to keep everything pretty stream-lined. However, that's my biggest issue with the story. Otherwise, I'm very happy with this. Please let me know when you post more of your writing!

Best,
Lavvie




Panikos says...


Thank you! I'll take that on board. :)




gonna be honest, i dont believe in the moon
— sheyren