Home » Literary works » Poetry » Lyrical

Corvus

by CorvusQueen

This is a safe place,

Where no one expects much.

A little community,

Filled with friends.

A breath, a break

From the suffocating reality.

A watchtower, a monolith,

Protective and constant.

I am no one here,

But I am making a name,

Free from the titles I didn't choose,

And the things I never asked for.

Here, I am Corvus,

A poet and friend.

A crow,

Smart and misunderstood.

The world is still a mess,

But I would rather be me

Then whoever I’m supposed to be.

I am happy to be Corvus.

Mon May 27, 2019 4:34 am
Aliceinhorrorland wrote a review...

Hello~ I’m here to review. I’ll start with the things I liked:

I loved how it didn’t rhyme much and still (for the most part) flowed well. That’s a pretty difficult thing to accomplish id say. I also liked your descriptions and the words you chose. This poem gave me a lot of vivid images and feelings. It’s also a connective poem, as I’m sure a lot of users view YWS as their safe haven when everything spirals downwards. You captured a nice idea and really brought it to life.

Now onto some critique:

I actually throughly enjoyed this poem, but the last stanza wasn’t the best. Every other stanza was nice and flowed exceptionally well but the last one just didn’t spin right. It felt forced, almost.
Not to mention, you just randomly rhymed two lines, when you didn’t rhyme the entire poem. Also, the ending was unsatisfying, it didn’t give me a “WOW” factor response.

I think it would be better if it went something like this:

“When the earth closes in,
When life locks it’s doors,
I will be here,
Safe.”

That’s just an overview, of course. Oh and you don’t have to change anything if you don’t want to, it’s just my personal opinion. Also I am in no way trying to be harsh! I loved this poem, honestly, I just think the ending could use some work. But I literally lived for the first four stanzas :3

Anyways you have a solid poem here, and I can’t wait to see what you do with it! Always keep writing, you have a bright future.

That’ll be all from me!

-Alice

Fri May 24, 2019 12:30 am
starryknightt wrote a review...

Hey there!

I really, really love this. It's so sweet, and I can't help but agree with you in every way. Young Writer's Society is really magical. I found it just when I needed it and hope to make a name, just like you said. The words about being a "crow" added a nice splash of color to the page. It didn't predict it, and you tied it in wonderfully.

Can't wait to read more of your art!

-M

Thu May 23, 2019 8:04 am

Hello, FlamingPhoenix here with a short review for you on this lovely day, and like always to help get your work out the green room for you.

Okay let's start.

I'm happy to say that there was nothing wrong with this poem everything was in it's place. Your punctuation was perfect everything as in just the right place, making the flow just perfect. And your word choice helped with that. Even if none of them rimed it still worked with the flow.
I also really like the story you are telling it's in some cases true, but that depends on who reads it.
I think your word choice was great, and your spelling was spot on. Well done.
The length of your poem was perfect, it didn't sound rushed, and it ended at a really good spot, making it easier for the reader to see the poem is finished.
I also think the name you chose for the poem was the right choice.

Over all this was all really well done and I loved reading and reviewing this work, I do hope you will never stop writing and will post again on YWS soon. Have a great day or night.

Your friend
FlamingPhoenix.
Reviewing with a fiery passion.

Thu May 23, 2019 2:42 am
Horisun wrote a review...

This poem is amazing! I really enjoyed the flow, and the feeling. It's so enjoyable, and so emotional, it's just great!
The only thing might just be me, but in the line "The world is still a mess," I can't tell if you're referring to the virtual world, or the real world.
Other than that, this poem get's a gigantic thumbs up from me! I really love it!
Keep on writing! :D

To succeed, you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you.
— Tony Dorsett