Why?

by rainforest

May I ask you, "Why?"

Why is life like this?

I can't find any serenity,

and I can't find bliss.

-

"Ha! He's gay!" that kid at school says.

Then everyone starts calling out,

"Gay, gay, gay!"

No one could doubt.

-

"She cuts." says that one girl.

Then that rumor gets spread.

It gets spread everywhere,

it starts getting in her head.

-

"She's such a slut!" says the 'popular' girl.

Everyone agrees.

She gets pushed around all the time,

and she falls on her knees.

-

Just why?

Why is society fucked with?

I don't know.

I wish it was all a myth.

copgraveyard wrote a review...

I didn't like this for the following reasons.

The biggest one is that this was very pretentious and you act like you know what to do, like you are above anyone. Not only that, but this didn't do anything special in terms of delivery. You took an old theme, an old concept, and you delivered it in an old way. It was old, to be honest. Maybe try something different instead of criticizing others? I don't know. Hate to be honest, but bullying happens for a reason and we can't stop it.

thanks.

XPresidentTurtlesX wrote a review...

Hello, CaptainSaltWater! This is somewhat old but I'm going to review it now.
I really like this piece because I really do feel like it captures what society is today. I have to say, I really love the ending line "I wish it was all a myth." It just has a certain flow and impact to the poem that really gets to me. I feel like some people would scowl at this poem, but it really is how the world is today. Sometimes I wish that the world would just stop bickering over stupid matters and actually listen to people.
With that being said, I couldn't find any errors in the poem. You did an excellent job on this. As usual, I really liked your work. Keep writing! ~Prez. T

Thu May 21, 2015 11:34 am
sagnik wrote a review...

this is another theme which is becoming popular day by day.in our country one gay has published a matrimonial add. the way u question this society that why it calls one gay and then the rumors spread is very good. he people then abusing u and the popular girl calling u a cut is more pathetic i like the way u question why the society is**** with it

Wed May 20, 2015 10:06 am
deleted23 says...

This is a great poem and I like the way you put the ending! This really does capture what's happening to some people and it's unfair and so wrong....

Wed May 20, 2015 9:28 am
ishitadutt wrote a review...

The message you are trying to give through this poem is great and you've brought it out in a pretty simple way, keeping the emotion intact. One thing that confused me was the narration. You started the poem in first-person and then you went to the second stanza with third-person form. And in the end you again came back to first-person.A little editing would have made this perfect. :)

Wed May 20, 2015 5:31 am
LuluGirl24 says...

Love the poem. There is so much truth. I like how you kept it simple and straight to the point.

Wed May 20, 2015 2:15 am
erilea wrote a review...

CaptainSaltWater, great! This poem was great. I'm not really sure if I should point this out, seeing the mood of this piece, but there are younger people on this site, just saying.
I think this really describes the stereotypes out there and the rumors. The first stanza tells of a major problem in the world and it's a big issue for schools. These are bullying issues, and they are kind of saying, why do you have to be so cruel? I totally get the point of this essay.
What I would like to say is that sometimes the rhymes don't work for different subjects, like this one. Maybe you could make this free-verse. I know you prefer rhyming but in a situation like this, maybe you could consider changing it. This work was great, however. Good job!
-wise

Wed May 20, 2015 1:09 am
matthewmazer wrote a review...

I saw your name in the Green Room and immediately recalled your "mom" poem I loved so much and I have to say that I am not disappointed with this. Again, this is a great poem and does a good job of reflecting society today, especially high school. The brandings are here, the taunts, and everything in between. You could easily elaborate on this with other similiar situations but doing so would give you an endless poem. Again, great job and keep writing.

Deal with the faults of others as gently as with your own.
— Chinese proverb