z

Young Writers Society


12+ Mature Content

Does it Bother You? (Edited)

by rainforest


You see a man kissing a man.

Does it bother you?

You see a woman kissing a woman.

Does it bother you?

You hear about a virgin dying.

Does it bother you?

You see people sexual attraction with both sexes.

Does it bother you?

Well people, if it bothers you,

I am sorry.

That's just our sexualities.

~

There are people out in this world

who don't feel safe.

Just because of their own sexuality.

Well, it inspires and makes me happy

when I see people being who they are.

We need more of that in this world.

So if it bothers you,

I apologize.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
102 Reviews


Points: 196
Reviews: 102

Donate
Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:37 am
View Likes
TheShauzer wrote a review...



I complete agree with snoink as regards the whole 'blog entry' comment. It's nice and I know you're trying the whole 'taking a stand' thing, and I support your opinions, don't get me wrong, but they're so regurgitated. These are the things normal people say when they talk about homosexuality and discrimination, but you're not a normal person, you're a writer. You want to convey these opinions in a different light. Be artistic, be more creative, you don't need to decorate the thing with fourteen letter words, but let the words you do use have a strong impact. Let them be fresh, powerful and from your heart's imagination. Otherwise I might as well just look up opinions online, but what I want to see is beauty.
Keep writing..

Yours in ink,
TS.




User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:05 am
View Likes
Snoink wrote a review...



Hi!

First of all, I want to point out a typo!

"You see people sexual attraction with both sexes."

I think you're missing a verb?

Anyway, on with the poem!

I really like how you're speaking your mind on something which is clearly important to you! Poetry and art in general should be about making a stand and saying things that ought to be said -- even when things can be difficult to say!

With that said, it looks like you're so concentrated on making a statement that it doesn't seem... very artistic? If I were to take out the line breaks, it would look like a very passionately written blog entry. Which is fine! But I'm not sure that is what you're hoping for with a poem. The best poems have a conflict or a story somewhere wrapped into the poem. This just seems to have some statements that you want to have known. So, I'm not sure if the poem is really the best medium for you!

Maybe you can expand the images of the first stanza? You can talk about the virgin (honestly, when I heard "virgin dying" the first thoughts of my mind were religious folks) and describe that person a bit. You can give more depth of the men and women who are kissing so that they are not cardboard cut outs. That way, that can give them some humanity, which would help humanize them and make it easier to empathize with them.

Just some ideas! Feel free to play with them as you will. :)




User avatar
233 Reviews


Points: 19633
Reviews: 233

Donate
Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:41 pm
View Likes
Cithara says...



Hey Captain! I'm not here to review, but briefly explain why this poem does not work.
Perhaps my starting line should be: You better check yourself before you wreck yourself.
Like others stated before me, this is a very hypocritical poem. You're incorrectly labeling and accusing many people, and you don't know any of them personally. What's hypocritical is, that's the argument you're making here: you don't want people to be that way towards people of the gay, lesbian, and other sexual orientations community.
Yes, I respect your belief. You believe everyone of any sexual orientation should embrace who they are. They don't deserve to be ridiculed and discriminated. And you have every right to believe that. I too believe nobody deserves discrimination for who they are. It's wrong.
The way you portrayed your belief was the hypocritical part. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I've been watching YWS take aims at each other all week. I haven't unfollowed, avoided, or bashed one person on this site who supports gay marriage. I say nothing about your avatars, because you have every right to use them! I respect. I respect. I don't condone the hate towards gay marriage either; the way they expressed their arguments was incorrect. Please go back and rethink the way you want to word your message.
This poem bothers me.




User avatar
254 Reviews


Points: 11196
Reviews: 254

Donate
Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:32 pm
View Likes
Sonder says...



This is for the author only. :)

Spoiler! :
Homophobia (n.)- intense hatred or fear of homosexuals or homosexuality

What you are describing here is not an intense hatred of/ fear of people with alternative lifestyles. The word you use is bother (v.)- to worry, disturb, or upset. For someone to be bothered by homosexuality does not mean that they are a homophobic, because that would mean that they are intensely frightened by or have intense hatred towards it. For example, if someone is not Jewish and doesn't agree with what the Jews believe, that doesn't automatically make them a Nazi.

A dislike or disapproval for a lifestyle does not equal a hatred for a person. I felt that this was hypocritical, because while you were preaching against hate, you were also suggesting that those who disagree with you leave.

Hope this helped at all. Keep writing!

~Night




User avatar
134 Reviews


Points: 74
Reviews: 134

Donate
Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:18 pm
View Likes
DrFeelGood wrote a review...



Okay, so I haven't reviewed in quite a long time, but I really felt I should give you an honest opinion. Let us begin!

My thoughts about the poem:

Extremely readable! The flow is effortless, words are easy to understand, and the message is crystal clear. You boldy put out your thoughts and the poem grabbed my attention from the word go!

About the content:

Now this is the main problem. You're bold here, but not necessarily comforting. The biggest problem of this poem is its "holier than thou" treatment. There are lines in this poem which attack a community without even understanding their belief system. I'll give you two quick examples.

Example 1:

Well people, if it bothers you,

then you must be homophobic.


This looks more like a hate speech. You're actually contradicting the message of your poem when you use such lines. A poem which is trying to bridge the hate between two communities should be treated with a lot of heart and compassion. By calling them "homophobic" you're increasing the hate between them.


Example 2:

We need more of that in this world.

We need less of followers and haters


Same problem. What exactly do you mean by, "less followers and haters"? Yes, some religions don't accept homosexuality. But when you go around bashing their beliefs, calling them blind followers and haters, you're undoing the entire cause of this poem.


Like I said before, your poem needs lot of warmness. The message of your poem has very little impact at the moment. While I support your cause, I'm not exactly happy with your wordings.

I hope you come up with a better poem on this subject! Keep writing!




Pretzelsing says...


Heya, just wanted to point out that you have a coding problem here in your review. Remember to write [/quote] at the end of the quotation to wrap up the code! Thanks!



DivineFool says...


Not a coding problem actually. I wanted to give him two separate examples, but actually forgot to mention them. Thanks for the suggestions. Now I have spaced two examples separately.



User avatar
75 Reviews


Points: 1145
Reviews: 75

Donate
Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:57 am
View Likes
sagnik wrote a review...



this poem had emerged because of the us govt. announced gay marriage legal. have i got it correct!i love the questioning pattern does it bother u. this way of questiong puts a negative pressure on the line and shows that all that same gender lovemaking is nothing to be so bothered about. i myself believe it that as long as one sex does not forces the other sex or same sex person to have a relation or compulsively get phisical with him, there's nothing to be worried about.then the point u held is good that in this world person dont feel safe for their own sexuality, it is needed that people come up as their own sex and not follow any trend or hate and class of people. ausome poem.




User avatar
213 Reviews


Points: 150
Reviews: 213

Donate
Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:32 pm
View Likes
dark wrote a review...



Hello, I'm dark.
I've gotta say, this is an interesting, yet kind of hypocritical poem you've got here. Whether these are you now opinions, or you're just trying to put something out there, overall message is pretty clear. If someone doesn't agree to those kinds of acts, that doesn't mean they should "go somewhere else" as yo put it. It also doesn't mean they're "homophobic" or a "follower/ hater". Again, you may have been trying to convey a less troublesome message, but either way your word choice was really poor. Just like you believe someone shouldn't ostracize those who are not considered straight, those who are okay with it shouldn't go out hating those who don't. That makes THOSE people haters and followers. Just think over your views before you get upset at those who don't agree. The poem isn't terrible, but I didn't enjoy reading it at all for those very reasons.

~The dark one.




User avatar
417 Reviews


Points: 500
Reviews: 417

Donate
Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:50 pm
View Likes
Willard says...



If people having their own opinions
whether it be disgust or not
and you are against it,
saying that they
"shouldn't feel bothered"
and how they are against
people being themselves,
that is a string of hypocrisy.

So, if it bothers you,
then go somewhere else.




dark says...


Agreed, this is a very hypocritical poem.




When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool, you end up looking like a moron instead.
— Robin Hobb