18+ Language Violence Mature Content

Delta - 20.1

by Brigadier

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

December 24, 4140 – the case of the cat in the freezer

6:30 am

Harry laid in bed, staring into the ceiling with a gaze that would have broken any looking glass, quietly waiting for Will to wake up. Most mornings she found a way to escape but with Will’s head directly across her chest and long arms wrapped around her waist, it was nice to enjoy the comfort. The warmth from Will was almost enough to distract Harry from thinking about the feline contents of the basement freezer.

Which only more occurred to her of the other shady things that she had stored downstairs. Yes, there was the body of the assassin that had followed Glenn across a star system, but there were the other goods she was keeping claim tickets to. The different illegal (and legal) products that would only last a couple of months before someone came back for their stash. Or Harry would just be forced to sell the items on the black market.

“You’re thinking about the cat in the freezer, aren’t you?” The hands moved from her waist and one tilted a cheek towards her partner. Even before Harry managed to wedge her eyes open, she could feel Will’s gaze staring into her face. “Harry, I know you’ve been awake for an hour.”

“I just didn’t want to wake you.”

“Or were you finally embracing the domestic life?”

Harry rolled out of the bed, grabbing onto the frame right before her right knee collided with the hard concrete. The area rug wasn’t always enough to protect her legs from impact and as Will had pointed out they would need carpeting if any little ones happened to be running around. Hopefully Harry didn’t have any “little ones” running around out there already, she had experienced enough pregnancy scares living on Barma. Four hundred years would have been the time to be a father and certainly not now that she was almost as old as Jud.

With a robe in one hand, Harry leaned in for the first official kiss of the new day, saying, “Will, I love you.”

That wasn’t an answer, but it was enough to satisfy the conversation while she searched for her clothes. The walk to her braces hanging on the back of the door was rather grueling, and so was the pain of compressing her spines back into their sheaths. This is why everyone on Tanis wore dresses, skirts and loose trousers.

“Fucking skin-tight clothing.”

The familiar hands went back around her waist, dragging Harry back to bed.

“That is the thought I get to when you’re wearing this stuff.”

Harry eased onto the edge of the bed, falling back on the discarded pile of pillows and blankets, and welcomed the feeling of Will in her lap.

"Will, I'm going to be late for work."

"That's a lie and you know it."

"Yeah but I had to try something. Us old folks don't have the same sex drive as spring chickens like you."

Each kiss that successfully made contact with a portion of Will’s body supported the emotions Harry had. Those just perfect thoughts that hadn’t existed since Cara and Cara had been an entirely different type of girl. Cara who was so sweet and innocent through her core and Will who only pretended to be that way.

Will’s hands were on the drawstring of Harry’s lounge pants as the voice whispered, “Then I’ll just have to make up for your side of the bargain.”

A laugh almost escaped Harry’s throat from Will fumbling to undo the knot. Will might have even thought that the way Harry tied her pants was purposeful, like she would really do it to deny sex. That was thinking too much of the plans that were laid out.

“Need some help down there?”

“I don’t know how you wear these.”

“Will, someone needs to wear the pants in this relationship.”

With the taunt obviously in mind, Will managed to finish the job and threw her own robe back to the laundry pile at the bottom of the bed.

The unfamiliar feeling of comfort came back to Harry as the game began again. Even for as often as they had relations that happened within the confines of a mattress and a sheet, Harry didn’t have the same comfort most people felt. Being held in her lover’s arms while kissing up and down their body would not always connect as a peaceful feeling.

But it did here and now.

Because this moment was with Will.

Just enough to tempt Harry to say, “Will, I have a question for you.”

The regret following her statement was blocked by Will’s hands unbuttoning the front of her shirt, a clear distraction from her plans. This was one of the reasons to keep going in her proposal plans. Knowing that her partner probably wouldn’t even hear the words she was asking.

“So, do you want to ask about how I want to get it this time?”

“Will, I have a serious question.”

“And my question isn’t serious?”

Harry laughed while laying back down onto the bed, letting the hands slip back over her and working on the plan again.

“Will, would you please do me the honor of-”

Everything had been going just right until the door clicked open and was followed by a disturbed scream. Ria standing in the doorway, holding a basket of muffins in one hand and “Lady’s List” in the other. It took Harry a further moment to realize that today, the twenty fourth of December, was both Christmas Eve and the Ladies’ Morning Saturday.

Harry could have sworn that the door was locked or would have at least been blocked by the small pile of clothes behind. The scream was an unexpected but an interruption all the same, while Will scrambled for clothing and a blanket was thrown over Harry’s body. A discussion of her partner’s aim would have to be reviewed once they were wearing a bit more clothing. The blanket on her head still wasn’t as much of a trouble as the shaken Ria still standing in the hall way.

“Ria! Get out of here.”

Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:23 am
keystrings wrote a review...

Hello again. Very on point with the title as always. Makes me feel a bit bad for the cat.

First off, the transition from happy-loving-phase of Harry lying down with Will to the thinking about what other dead bodies she has and other nefarious items. That's a kind of perfect short little representation of Harry, especially when she's feeling relaxed (as much as she can I suspect) with her significant other pretty much in her arms. Of course, her brain's going through loops and skips quickly from a warm-blooded body to a cold one. I think with every chapter, I kind of end up liking Harry more and more, as she's this really interesting (with literal backstory and a super long past) character to follow and learn more about.

Can I say that I love the connection of like the reader getting to know about Harry's past relationship with Cara and see how in love they seemed to be and that she's reflecting back on her, and we actually know part of it? I really like that feeling of things "clicking" in my brain is saying "oh yea I read about that, sweet" and then it leaves the reader to hope that we learn more about this later. I hope it ends somewhat good between them? Eech I don't know if I want to really know or not. I guess we'll find out eventually.

And I just love catching all of these glimpses of how Harry and Will have built on their own relationship and that they seem so comfortable with each other even with past things that we've read from Harry and I'm sure Will's got stories of her own. It just makes me happy, that like, they've settled nicely with each other. Still though Harry - I'm not sure that would be the best time to propose, as emotions could be all over the place? Good luck either way.

I laughed a little at the end. There's always someone to interrupt their "fun times." Darn. *snaps fingers*

Until next chapter!

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:19 am

Reasons I love Will.

Four hundred years would have been the time to be a father and certainly not now that she was almost as old as Jud.

Idk I love this??? Like I guess it's just funny like "should've had kids back in my twenties but now I'm too old," only "twenties" is "four hundred years old" and I love the humor/worldbuilding.

Also, "first official kiss of the new day" is super freaking cute.

“Will, I have a serious question.”

“And my question isn’t serious?”

Omfg I Cannot.

WHOOPS, bad timing, Ria, bad, bad, b a d timing.

Okay, I have to say though, I'm not ready to yell at Ria for interrupting (if anything I sympathize with I imagine Ria's horror), mostly because of, like, Harry's attempt at proposing. Like, c'mon, Harry. This is Will. The love of your life. The baddest birch, because I can't say the word I want in a review. And you're just gonna caaaasually ask her if she wants to marry you while she's trying to fool around with you in bed? Come on.

Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow.
— Helen Keller