z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Readers

by CocoaCat


WE ARE READERS

We're known to sit in their room for hours, their noses deep in a book.

We can multitask like no body's buisness. Walk and read, not looking up, yet seeing everything.

Listen and read, you will ace that science test, even though you've been reading all semester, ignoring your teacher yet hearing everything.

We escape reality, living a different life in order to escape our own.

We prefer Peeta Mellark, Augustus Waters and other book characters over real people.

Most people won't understand. But those who do, whether it be all or some of this writing, accept that others have never lived another life, and they never will.

At two am, we don't need sleep, we need to carry on with our books.

We cringe when the characters cringe. And when they cry, we cry. When they anger, we anger.

You have families, but we have fandoms and various lives.

We are readers.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4101 Reviews


Points: 254038
Reviews: 4101

Donate
Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:35 pm
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

Anyway let's get right to it,

WE ARE READERS
We're known to sit in their room for hours, their noses deep in a book.

We can multitask like no body's buisness. Walk and read, not looking up, yet seeing everything.

Listen and read, you will ace that science test, even though you've been reading all semester, ignoring your teacher yet hearing everything.

We escape reality, living a different life in order to escape our own.


Okay...this is a cool little compilation of character traits that I'm sure describe a lot of people that fall into this site, myself included, so this is a fun and very relatable little start to this piece. It kind of makes you feel awesome about yourself as a reader too at least for me personally cause when you combine everything on here into one place, it does make it sound like as a reader you gain a few superpowers, which I think is a very cool thing to start on. Well, I think its a nice little start to what seems like a wholesome little piece here.

We prefer Peeta Mellark, Augustus Waters and other book characters over real people.

Most people won't understand. But those who do, whether it be all or some of this writing, accept that others have never lived another life, and they never will.

At two am, we don't need sleep, we need to carry on with our books.

We cringe when the characters cringe. And when they cry, we cry. When they anger, we anger.

You have families, but we have fandoms and various lives.

We are readers.


Ahhh...the train of feelgood thoughts continue there, and being able to relate to literally everything on this list makes this a very fun story to read here. Its a lovely compilation of the sort of things that make us readers all stand out and it was just a really fun thing to read. I don't have much else to say on this piece honestly. It just brings a big ol' smile to our face as we read it and its just a lovely little piece here.

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
57 Reviews


Points: 1435
Reviews: 57

Donate
Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:09 pm
Saruka wrote a review...



Hey CaitlinMarie!
Oh my gosh, this is beautiful! I love this, and I feel like I could relate to every single aspect of this short story. I was extremely interested in this story, as I was so familiar with the concept. The text was easy to understand, and you conveyed a wonderful message with simple, readable words. I pretending find myself having trouble with titles, but you summarized a central and simple idea and made it your title, sometimes I can't always do with ease.
In the very first line, though, I was stopped and confused by the contraction meaning 'we are' and 'their', illustrating two different perspectives in one sentence.
I loved how this was written, keep writing more like it!

Sincerely,
Saruka




User avatar
81 Reviews


Points: 2620
Reviews: 81

Donate
Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:24 pm
skylnn00writes wrote a review...



So the first thing I noticed is you switching your person. You go from we to they and I think you should pick one or the other, not switch between the two.

Secondly, you wrote "when they anger, we anger" I would either use a different form of angry or change it to "when they are angry, we are angry", just a suggestion.

I can relate to this on so many levels, because I do prefer Augustus Waters to regular people a lot of the time. I do enjoy reading very much, and I enjoyed reading this very much. I am not the strongest in poetry, so I can't really tell you anything about the grammar or lines in this but I hope my suggestions are helpful to you. :smt001




User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 1762
Reviews: 27

Donate
Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:51 am
DrLavender wrote a review...



Hey CaitlinMarie! DrLavender here to do a quick review for you! Before I begin, I have to say, I loved this. This is creativity at its finest! Alright, on to the review.

We're known to sit in their room for hours, their noses deep in a book.


A great opening line, it certainly caught my attention! But a small remark. You begin with referring to the readers as "We're", in the second person narrative. Nothing wrong with that, but you have to remain consistent. When you switch to "their", you went into third person. Makes for a very awkward sentence, at least in my opinion. I would recommend changing "their" to "our".

Listen and read, you will ace that science test, even though you've been reading all semester, ignoring your teacher yet hearing everything.


I read this aloud to myself and it sounded a bit....weird. It's not your wording which is the problem, I think it's the punctuation. I recommend adding a period after "science test", and adding a comma after "your teacher".

We cringe when the characters cringe. And when they cry, we cry. When they anger, we anger.


Again, fantastic sentence, but a few suggestions. Instead of saying "We cringe when the characters cringe", I recommend "We cringe when the characters do". Now what you have works fine, and if you'd like to leave it like that, it would be completely okay! I also found the last part of this a bit awkward. I'd recommend "When they're angered, we're angered".

You have families, but we have fandoms and various lives.


I think in this line, if you were to simply end the sentence at "fandoms" and remove "and various lives", the sentence would be perfect. By adding "and various lives", it just sounds wordy and ruins the punctuality for me.

And that leads us the end! Overall, I really enjoyed this! It was creative and I've never read anything like this before. I think this was a great piece of work!




User avatar
116 Reviews


Points: 5240
Reviews: 116

Donate
Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:51 am
RoseTulipLily says...



Oh gosh, this was beautiful. You describes us readers perfectly. Reading is an important part of our lives and personalities. Hence us being called readers and you really captured that here. Keep up the good work! ;)




User avatar
48 Reviews


Points: 174
Reviews: 48

Donate
Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:43 am
CocoaCat says...



So sorry, but while I was editing, I forgot to delete some words that I no longer needed. For example, in the first row, I said their when I should have said our. Again, really sorry about all the mistakes.




amelie says...


If you need to fix some mistakes, you're able to go back and edit after you publish something.:)




Moo.
— Cow