Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Romantic

Project Oblivious - Ch 3

by Book_Dragon

Chapter 3 - Katrina

The next day, I’m still thinking about the library as I leave for school. Specifically, I’m remembering when I met that guy. Even more specifically, I’m being crushed by the weight of how embarrassing I was. Every tiny thing my brain has deemed “Wrong” hits me again and again. Prattling on about the plot of Catching Jordan. Saying “Christopher Columbus” to a stranger. Explaining “Christopher Columbus” to a stranger. Slamming my head into someone else's! Embarrassing embarrassing EMBARRASSING EMBARRASSING EMBARRASSING.

I’m a total nincompoop.

Why couldn’t I have looked where I was going. Why couldn’t I have moved slower. Why does my brain have to repeat all the embarrassing until the CRACK will echo in my head forever.

My only solace is the fact that I don’t know him and will never see him again.

Standing in front of my open closet doors, I hesitate. I look to the left, at the dresses and skirts that I want to wear. Nice, long, twirly, old-fashioned things that I love. Things that I only wear on the weekends when I don’t see anybody. I look to the right, at normal clothes that people won’t look twice at. Stuff that helps me blend in. Stuff that says, “please don’t talk to me, I’m shy and stressed and close to panicking, please and thank you.”

I think about all the students preparing for the second day of school. All the germs they could bring in…

Shut up. School is important. Senior year is important. Much more important than any germs that could hang around my classmates in thick, sickly green clouds.

Grimace and bear it, Katrina. Grimace and bear it.

Studying the right side of my closet, I grab old mom jeans and a loose, black, long sleeve T-shirt. Dry brushing my thick, curly hair would be a disaster, and my shoes are downstairs, so I’m all set. I hover by my door, looking longingly at my lovely, safe bedroom. The navy walls. My overflowing bookshelf. My collection of antique key--

“LILLIAN’S HERE!” my mom shouts from downstairs. My phone buzzes with a text from Lillian at the same time.

“OKAY THANKS” I scream back. With one last look around my room, I go downstairs, tripping on the last step. Luckily, this time I’m able to catch myself before I fall on my face.

“Have fun!” Mom says as I grab my backpack and shove on my scuffed shoes.

“Ha,” I deadpan, opening the door.

“Love you.”

“Love you too,” I call, running over to Lillian’s truck.

“Let’s get this bread,” Lillian says, clapping her hands.

I make my way to first period AP physics in plenty of time before the bell. It’s kind of a loser thing to do, but I prefer “loser” to crowded hallways. I’d go to the school library, but it’s closed the first week of school.

Sitting down, I pull out the only thing in my backpack, a purple notebook to write down important first B-day of school stuff.

A-day, B-day, it’d be confusing if I hadn’t lived in the same place for my entire life. The days alternate between A and B, with different classes for each. I remember how pleased I was when I went to middle school and learned I didn’t have to take math every single day. I had an entire extra evening to procrastinate its stupid homework!

I sigh and open my schedule. Yesterday, an A day, I had AP Gov, Trig, AP Studio Art, and Creative Writing. Today I have AP Physics first period, then Photography, ASL 4, and AP World Lit.

I sigh again. Opening my notebook, I reach into my backpack for a pencil.

Nothing.

Frowning, I rummage through the front pockets. I swear I packed one--

Nothing.

I slump back in my chair, but jump when something touches my shoulder. I glance to the side and see a hand offering a pen. “Thanks,” I mumble, taking it. I look up and gasp.

Library boy.

He stares at me, smiling slightly. I realize he has two different eye colors. One is grey-blue, one bright green. Harry Potter green. For a second I think he has a scar too, by his mouth, but he shifts into more light and I see it’s just a cleft chin.

“Can I sit here?” he asks, pointing to the empty seat next to me. I nod, and he sits.

Embarrassing embarrassing eMBARRASSING EMBARRASSING.

“Sorry again,” I say suddenly. “For, you know…” I motion to my head.

“It’s fine again,” he says, smiling. “Seriously.”

I don’t say anything.

“Here,” Library Boy says, placing his hand on our tabletop. “It never happened, okay? We’ve never met before. We certainly didn’t smack our heads together. Let’s start over.”

“...okay, then,” I say after a pause. “We’ve never met.”

Library Boy turns away, then turns back a second later. “Oh, hi!” he says. “What’s your name?”

“Katrina,” I say to the table. “And you?”

“Josh,” says Library Boy.

“Nice to meet you."

“Same to you,” he says.

The bell rings, and the teacher steps to the front of the room. “Attendance!” she calls, then starts reading off her clipboard.

I glance over at Li--Josh. He pulls out a book. The book. Catching Jordan. But since I guess the whole Catching Jordan fiasco didn’t happen, I guess I shouldn’t point it out.

“Kat-a-rina De Luca?” the teacher calls out then. I raise my hand, but she doesn’t see. “Kat-a-rina De Luca?”

“She’s here,” Josh calls.

“Katrina, not Katarina,” I quickly whisper to him. I don’t know why. It just comes out.

“And it’s Katrina,” he finishes.

“Thank you…” the teacher trails off.

“Josh. Joshua. Mass.” Josh raises his hand.

And we start over.

Hi Book_Dragon,

Mailice back with a short review! :D

The next day, I'm still thinking about the library as I leave for school. Specifically, I'm remembering when I met that guy. Even more specifically, I'm being crushed by the weight of how embarrassing I was. Every tiny thing my brain has deemed "Wrong" hits me again and again. Prattling on about the plot of Catching Jordan. Saying "Christopher Columbus" to a stranger. Explaining "Christopher Columbus" to a stranger. Slamming my head into someone else's! Embarrassing embarrassing EMBARRASSING EMBARRASSING EMBARRASSING.

I don't know why, but that introduction warms my heart. You did a very good job of making an elephant out of a little mouse, which brings just the right effect that the reader would also expect after reading the previous chapters. She has a very reclusive nature, and enjoys solitude very much.

Prattling on about the plot of Catching Jordan.

You would have to put the title of the book in italic to keep it the same as you did in the previous chapters.

Why couldn't I have looked where I was going. Why couldn't I have moved slower. Why does my brain have to repeat all the embarrassing until the CRACK will echo in my head forever.

A question mark at the end would be appropriate instead of the full stop in this paragraph. I also like the way you portray her asking herself these questions, and you can see that with each new sentence, her anger increases a little.

After reading the three chapters of your story, I notice that sometimes you don't put the characters' thought processes in italic (or any other form you like😊 ).
I don't have the greatest idea how to tell when there's a difference between trains of thought and when to highlight them, but I think with "present" moments like this, it's significant to highlight them because they relate to the situation. Here, for example, Katrina is thinking about something she has been thinking about, which puts not only the present but also the future in perspective.
That sounds very confusing to me too, but maybe I can put it that way: Does it seem like Katrina wants to speak out loud or can she say it out loud (although it might seem crazy then :D) you can put it in italic, because these trains of thought are nothing more than mental monologues. Hope that's understandable. :D

"Let's get this bread," Lillian says, clapping her hands.
I make my way to first period AP physics in plenty of time before the bell. It's kind of a loser thing to do, but I prefer "loser" to crowded hallways. I'd go to the school library, but it's closed the first week of school.

I would make a bigger section here because Katrina is in the truck and now suddenly at school.

Library Boy

I like how she gave him that nickname. I also love how neither of them know what the other's name is until Katrina suggests they've never met.

"Katrina, not Katarina," I quickly whisper to him. I don't know why. It just comes out.
"And it's Katrina," he finishes.

That's so sweet of him to correct the teacher. I also like the detail that Katrina only whispers it but she is not heard.

I can only repeat myself, but Katrina seems like a very interesting person and you have portrayed her very well with her many details. I just like reading the story and knowing that you put in these details that gives the story this uniqueness in the character. I'm looking forward to the next chapters where you find out a bit more about Josh.

I really liked this chapter. I think it seems different from the previous ones, in that I notice because here it is a combination of the previous chapters; the inside world and the outside world in the form of the dialogues. You've done a good job of making the story interesting and I was also pleased to see Josh in class with her. I'm excited to see how the story continues!

Have fun with the writing!

Mailice.

NivedaJames22 wrote a review...

Hey!

I've been waiting for so looong for this, and when I saw this in the Green Room, I started to grin from ear to ear like an idiot. (: You made my day!

Anyways, this chapter was awesome, just like the last two.

I especially love the comparisons that Katrina makes, like Little Woman, and Harry Potter. I don't know if this is true for all readers in general, but personally, I'm totally geeking out over these references! :D

I really like this part:

I like how you add to Katrina's adorably blunt and slightly awkward personality:

On the whole, it was a great chapter, and flawlessly executed. Can't wait for Josh's take on the day's events.

Keep writing.

Book_Dragon says...

You made my day for commenting so nicely!! thanks :)

Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.
— Henry David Thoreau