red marks

by BlueRoses15

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

tonight i made

bruising red marks

around my neck.

the belt was lying on the floor

while feelings of power,

constriction,

and shame consumed me.

tonight i made

bleeding red marks

on my thigh.

layers upon layers of scars

new and old

fascinated me.

tonight i made

terrible red marks

up and down my arms.

freshly sharpened knives

turned on my secret addiction

as i pressed harder to see little white lines,

eating away at me.

tonight i made

unsteady red marks

around my heart.

hoping to cut it out

and end the pain

forever.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:09 pm
Charlotte2 wrote a review...

Hello,

Okay so I have never self-harmed before but I had a friend who did it, and even though I've not experienced it myself, this poem touched me a lot. I don't usually have tears in my eyes after reading poetry but it was written so well and really helped me to understand what it's like for the actual self-harmer. It sounds so painful, and I really felt that in the last paragraph. I feel like this has given me quite a bit of new perspective.

Thank you for writing it, and I hope this gets better. x

Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:27 pm
WhosabellCanWrite wrote a review...

Self harm is never a good thing. I struggle with it and I know so many other people do too. The whole part with the belt is confusing too... maybe explain that.

I get it. Feeling like your skin is trying to destroy you from the inside out. You have to do something to distract yourself. So you make marks and marks and marks...Red marks.

If you are still doing this, currently, maybe get some help. Talk ti internet friends, thats what I do. Or if you still need the pain, then use a rubber band, or pinch the inside of your thighs. It helped me not to use cutting as a crutch for my life.

Message me if you want to talk about anything...Even bread if we have to.

Whosabellxx

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:45 am
Morrigun wrote a review...

Heya, I'm back.

So, I feel personally this is a well written poem. I'll start off with saying the imagery, while extremely sobering, is also particularly apt. You did well to convey the way those things all feel with more simplified descriptions. It leaves the reader feeling bare, as if there is nothing to stand between them and the feelings brought on by the poem. This feels real, and honest, and so forthright it can't help but pull at heartstrings. Reading this brings tears to my eyes, because you've written it so that even though it speaks of what you have went through, it also rings true of my own and perhaps others' experiences. It's relate-able.

In all truth the only real criticism I can think of is that I don't personally like it when there's no capitalization, for the word I mostly. However, this is a common device used in poetry and in this instance it does lend itself to the "This is all I am laid out for you to see without gimmicks, and I have no further energy for sugarcoating or embellishing" feel the poem has to it.

I appreciate you writing this. Thank you very much, hun. And again, you are welcome to contact me at any point if you feel comfortable doing so.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:48 am
Morrigun says...

I'm going to come back and review this but as Renee said below I have also been here. I was admitted to a hospital for this, I feel your pain honey. And if you need I too am here to chat should you feel you need it.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:23 am
reneehope says...

Comment first. Then I'll review. I just want you to know I've been here. Like exactly here. For like, six years. I would cut then write poetry about it. And while the latter is a great release, the former is not. I want you to know that I'm here for you, I can understand some of what you're going through, and I would love if you reached out to me at any time. You're so amazing, and destined for amazing things!
xx

I tell the neophyte: Write a million words–the absolute best you can write, then throw it all away and bravely turn your back on what you have written. At that point, you’re ready to begin.
— David Eddings