z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language

The Break-in

by BluesClues


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language.

The prompt: Start with a bumper sticker. Describe the car it's on: Year, make, model, color, condition. Open the door and describe the inside of the car. Name three objects you see and a fourth you don't expect. The owner of the car appears. What does he or she look like? What does he or she say?

“Don’t like my driving? Call 1-800-EAT-SHIT,” the bumper sticker snarled.

Peculiar, I thought. It made the whole car seem unfriendly, where before it had been your average beater: A 1992 Ford Tempo, dull red, with a tarp-covered left rear window and rust working on the lower edges of the vehicle. One of the rear tires sagged, and a hitch stuck off the front fender as if an RV or a mobile home frequently pulled the car along to places unknown.

I stole a glance around the parking lot. No one else was around. What would you have done?

Okay. Probably you would’ve been a good, law-abiding citizen and left the grocery store parking lot without giving the Tempo another thought. I, however, cannot resist an adventure, no matter how stupid or criminal it may be to break into an unfamiliar car.

Besides – the doors were unlocked! That’s practically an invitation to investigate.

Heat whooshed out of the car the moment I opened the door. Even so, sweat dripped from my forehead the moment I stuck it in the car. Luckily the seats were covered in that rough, carpety sort of material rather than leather, so I didn’t burn my hands on the upholstery as well as drowning in sweat.

McDonald’s wrappers, empty Sam Adams bottles, and ripped-up speeding tickets stagnated on the floor, and the smell of cigarettes loitered. I wrinkled my nose and tried to avoid breathing. When I tried the glove box, I discovered a bluish-grey wad of gum residing beneath the handle. Ick. Never mind about the glove box, then. Ignoring the gearshift – unimpressed, since I can drive a stick myself – I crawled right into the car to examine the backseat in detail. Ooh, a steak knife. I reached for it, wondering if it had ever been used to kill anyone.

Maybe I have an overactive imagination.

Said imagination is probably the reason I sort of freaked out when a gruff, countrified voice said, “Whatcha doin’ in my car?"

I banged my head on the ceiling in my rush to get out of the car. A meaty, ruddy man with a protruding gut and a scraggly brown beard stood on the driver’s side of the Tempo, wearing overalls, a baseball cap, and a frown. The expression was more appropriate to catching a child sneaking a cookie from the jar than finding a strange woman breaking into your car, but I was still thinking about the fact that the knife I was holding might’ve been used to kill someone. I screeched as if I’d just realized the monster in my bedroom closet really did exist and ran across the parking lot, first slashing the man’s passenger-side tired with the steak knife so he couldn’t chase me down and kill me. Then I hot-wired the next unlocked car I found and zoomed away, safe from all pursuit. After all, by the time the man got new tires on his car I’d be far away. He couldn’t even give my license plate number to the police, since I’d had the good sense to steal someone else’s car rather than alert the man to the fact that my car was parked right behind his.

All this resulted in a long police investigation that went nowhere, as I wiped my prints from my escape vehicle’s steering wheel after ditching it in a hotel parking lot, dyed my hair ginger, lost a bunch of weight, and moved to Arizona, where I now live in an apartment under an assumed name.

But my misadventures here must be stories for another time.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
168 Reviews


Points: 32746
Reviews: 168

Donate
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:05 pm
View Likes
Rose wrote a review...



Aloha! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method Today!

Beyond my beloved horizon, I'm diving headfirst into some new reading material, ready for an adventure. I whip out my trusty binoculars, and what do I see? A super intriguing story called "The Break-in" that definitely deserves a solid review. So, no more waiting around, let's jump right in!

Image

Top Graham Cracker - What I Know
So very first of all, you've written an amazing story here! The humor started from the first sentence and stayed right there by your side 'till the very end. You have a huge imagination and you're full of creativity! From a prompt you've managed to create something humorous and marvelous, Chapeau!

Slightly Burnt Marshamallow - Room for Improvements
There is always, and again, ALWAYS, room for improvement. For example, you can add more dialogues, adjust the pacing, describe the setting more vividly, and many more things. But in the end, the only thing that I really think you should do........ is write a sequel! I would love to read a sequel of "The Break-in". But of course, that is entirely up to you.

Chocolate Bar - Highlights of the Piece
I'll say it again if I have to, but the humor of your story is just on point. The first sentence of the story is the best and definitely my favorite, it's also the reason why I decided to read further, I knew that this story was funny one.
The part where you describe the trash in the car is also just awesome.

Closing Graham Cracker - Closing Thoughts
As I said before, I just loved this story! It was just the thing to read today, so I'm glad I stumbled upon it.
A "little extra note": Feel free to check out some stories from @foxmaster, such as This season on Ms. Fowell's School of Witchcraft and Mayhem! and Dark Side of the Coffee Machine 0: The BIG boss!, for some more ideas to add some extra flavor to your storytelling!

Me,
Rose




BluesClues says...


Thank you so much for your review! I love the way you structured it like a s'more!



User avatar
561 Reviews


Points: 31500
Reviews: 561

Donate
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:21 pm
Atticus wrote a review...



I'm really sorry Blue the checklist challenge made me do it Hey Blue! Tuck here with a review for you today.

Wow, that took a steep turn. I love how you took a challenge and ran with it and created something totally different than what I was originally imagining. Not only did you work a great plot into a descriptive challenge, you balanced them in such a nice way so that they complemented each other. On the whole, a well-done story!

However, I felt that your antagonistic character was playing into a lot of stereotypes. While I appreciated the many small cues you gave the reader to hint at the personality, I was somewhat disappointed to find a character that matched all of those stereotypes. This could have been avoided by creating a rough-looking biker guy who has a princess sticker on his leather jacket that his young daughter put there, or another similar character. That would help humanize the character and give him some more dimension beyond "big-tough-scary-guy".

I also take issue with some of the action that took place here. From the impression I've received, your main character is smaller than the owner of the Tempo. I'm surprised to see that the owner doesn't give more pursuit, or take more physical action to prevent an escape. As far as we know, he stands there in stunned silence and watches as the rest of the story unfolds. Besides, the main character has to take at least four minutes to escape, since she would have to:
1) Find an unlocked, unoccupied car (which may prove to be difficult since previous description states that the parking lot was empty :P)
2) Travel to said car and enter it (another 30 seconds at minimum)
3) Hotwire the car (assuming that she's done this before, she may be able to do it in 1-2 minutes, but if this is one of her first times, it'd probably take closer to 5)
All of that is plenty of time for her to be chased down by the Tempo's owner, or at the very least for the owner or some other eyewitnesses to notice the plates, notice her description, or otherwise intervene. This doesn't seem like the perfect crime by any stretch of the imagination, so I have a hard time imaging how she escapes from this unscathed. All this to say, her escape likely would not have been as smooth as it is written here.

Overall, however, your mix of description and plot made for a vividly entertaining story, and I enjoyed seeing the parts of your personality that were brought out in your response to this prompt! While I took issue with some of the specifics, the idea was original and refreshing to read. I hope that some of my critiques have been helpful to you, and please feel free to reach out with any questions!

Best,
Tuck




User avatar
32 Reviews


Points: 1145
Reviews: 32

Donate
Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:09 pm
Perviguana wrote a review...



Hey, it's Pervy here. This story was good and you described the events well. It just left me wondering that the average man would beat the s*it out of you for trespassing in his car, since to guys, cars tend to be very important. I also think that the girl was over-reacting. If the man showed no signs of hostility, what gives her the reason to suddenly break loose, stabbing the car tire (without the man stopping her?) and breaking into the NEXT car (:D) and hotwiring it before the man can move a muscle.

Just a point, and I noticed you misspelled "tired" when you meant just "tire".

That's all, a good short story and all that, but why would the girl change her entire ID for something like that? Oh well ^^

Sincerely,
Perviguana~




User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 1785
Reviews: 62

Donate
Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:56 am
tommyknocker wrote a review...



Okay, i enjoyed this story.

However, i feel the main character is a tad strange. Why would you just walk over to a car, see that it was open and immediately see a knife and then immediately presume that it's a murder weapon. The latter was explained:

"Maybe I have an overactive imagination. "

Indeed.

Also the ending in my eyes feels rushed. This just kills the mood. And it doesn't make me feel like remembering this story after I've read it and moved on.

I do understand that this was a "Story prompt," piece and so it wasn't your idea so to speak.

I suggest work on that ending and flesh it out a bit. Then your golden!!!





Forever is composed of nows.
— Emily Dickenson