z

Young Writers Society


12+

Chapter Four (The Mate Between Brothers)

by deleted1967


"You're going to Howler's in that?"

Oakley was standing in the threshold, staring at a wide-eyed Max. She looked down at herself. She didn't think shorts and a tank top would be that bad to wear. It wasn't as if they were going ballroom dancing, or to a formal tea party. "Is it really that bad?"

"Babe, it's Howler's. Howler's. You gotta wear less than that. And something that's in one piece..." Max said.

Oakley stared at her friend, noticing that Maxine was wearing sweat pants and a baggy T-shirt.

She caught the judgement, "Well I'm not ready yet. We have to dress you, first. It'll take the most time, and I already picked out what I want to wear."

"We have to dress me? Why do we have to dress me? I mean, Max..." Oakley protested.

"Oh come on, it'll only take a second. Plus, you'll look like a complete babe. Trust me."

As if Oakley hadn't heard those words, trust me, come out of her friend's mouth a gazillion times before. Max took her friend's hand and guided her to the bedroom. Oakley followed in obedience and silence, showing no resistance, yet wanting so badly to resist.

The first three outfits that Max had made her try on weren't that bad, if put on a curvier figure, or one with a little more chest. The first was a dark red with lace leading up to the neck from the chest and into spidery sleeves. It was cute, but the long sleeves were itchy. Plus, they covered a large amount of arm and seemed to emphasize how small the amount of leg was covered.

The second was a strapless blue dress that hung around her ankles, and had a slit down the left leg. It probably only fell to Max's knees, and it looked awkward on Oakley's small frame.

The third was a frilly purple dress that made her feel as though she was a child on Halloween in a princess costume. Though, Oakley figured that no matter what she picked, she would still feel like she was dressing up as someone else.

"Okay," Max sighed, rummaging through her small closet, "I do have one more that I think will look really good on you. Better than the others," she promised.

Her bedroom wasn't all that big, considering she lived in a trailer with three other people. She had one window, a bed, a dresser, and her closet. Though the closet didn't seem to be so useful, since most of her clothes were always in piles around her floor. The room was much smaller than Oakley's; it felt so confined. Max had once complained to her that her two younger siblings got a bigger bedroom than she did. Although, Oakley had objected that Max's siblings did in fact have to share the room, which she thought only made it smaller for both of them.

"Aha! Found it!" Max came out from the closet, displaying a very skinny dress that looked like it was made fit for a Barbie doll. It was a short black dress that left the shoulders uncovered with attached sleeves that reached to her elbows.

When Oakley had tried it on, after repeatedly complaining that it looked too fancy for her, it seemed to fit alright despite her doubts. She looked in the mirror, constantly pulling up the fabric at her chest. "It's going to fall down, Max."

"Believe me," her friend said, "it won't."

Max had dressed herself into the second option she had given Oakley, the strapless blue one with the slit down one leg. Oakley wondered how she managed to feel comfortable in a dress like that, and then realized that she probably didn't.

Max curled Oakley's brown hair, pinning it up with narrow strips of silver ribbon. Oakley held her hand up to stop her when Max took out her makeup bag, and then was met with a splash of glitter to her face. Max was all about glitter when it came to parties. Oakley thought it looked ridiculous, but no matter how hard she tried she couldn't get it off her cheeks.

"Alright," Max said, slugging her purse strap over her shoulder, "Ready to go?"

* * *

The club was full of swaying bodies, all dancing to the uncomfortably loud music. Their skin glistened with sweat under the flashing lights of the spinning silver disco ball overhead. Howler's was a wide one story building with a floor that sunk low into a dance floor in the middle by stair. The far end displayed a raised stage with a half naked woman screaming into the mic, accompanied by two men playing guitars and a drummer in the back.

Max screamed over the music, "Now this is a party!"

Oakley stared into the crowds of people, eyeing a boy and a girl who looked no older than she, straddling each other in a corner. She glanced around, and to her surprise—and relief—found several security guards surrounding the walls of the club, standing at the stage, and two at each exit. For a short moment she felt reassured by the amount of security, then wondered if they found it necessary to have so many guards. She shuddered.

"You sure you're good here? We can leave it you want," Max asked, though her attention seemed to be elsewhere.

Oakley nodded, mostly for her friend's sake than her own. If she were to disagree, Maxine would probably sulk the whole night. "Go ahead onto the floor. I'll go get us some drinks."

Max grinned, and half-walked half-skipped down the steps and into the horde of bodies. It took Oakley less than ten seconds to lose sight of her, and the thought that her and her friend were separated in the night club filled with troublemakers and security officers made her feel unsteady. She pushed the thought aside and tried to swallow her uncomfortable fear.

The bar was just to the left of the entrance, though Oakley still had to dodge bodies just to get to a stool at the counter. She had asked the tattooed barista if they carried sodas, and the woman looked at her as if she were a hunter and Oakley the prey. "Right," Oakley said, "just two Cokes, please. Or, uh, Dr. Pepper if you have it." She was handed the drinks within a couple minutes and twisted away from the counter.

Her eyes searched the room for her friend, and landed on a man glaring back at her. He wasn't far from her, and from the short distance, his stare seemed to pierce into her skin like knives. His dark hair was tousled, as if he had just rolled out of bed, and his grin was laced with a lust that said "found you."

Her heart sank in her chest, her stomach flipping over and over. It was a feeling so much worse than butterflies, as if the butterflies died and became moths made of fire, tearing at her insides. Who is he? What does he want? Why me? Why is he staring at me like that?

Her eyes went to the floor as she made her way through the crowd of people, trying to find the closest exit. She just wanted to run, to get out. The walls felt like they were closing in on her, and she almost forgot to apologize when she spilled her sodas on a dancing couple. She needed out. The room felt awfully hot, and her dress stuck to her skin with nervous sweat. She felt fingers wrap around her forearm and jerk her backwards, almost tripping over her own feet. Her hand reached out and landed on a firm chest, and she fell into his arms. She looked up to see his face, and just stared with wide eyes.

He was all cheekbones and jawline, his eyes a dark brown that reminded her strangely of chocolate. His lips were parted, and before she could pull from him, they were kissing.

She felt her muscles relax, and every bone in her body seemed to turn to jelly, his arms the only thing keeping her steady. She was barely aware of his hand on her waist, how the end of her dress needed to be pulled down, and how bare her shoulders were. His lips were hard on hers, fierce and hot, filled with desire. As if he was a starving lion, and she a wounded gazelle. She forgot that she had no idea who the man was. She didn't exactly kiss back, but she definitely felt no urgency to resist.

Then he let go of her. The scent of pine and lavender emanated off of him, heavy in the air around her. She sucked in her breath, and realized how fast her heart was beating. She wanted to shove out of his grasp, get as far away from him as possible, but she couldn't move. She felt frozen in his embrace, feeling that if he were to let go of her she would simply fall limp onto the floor at his feet.

He smiled, licking his lips, "You have no idea how long I've waited to do that."

~ ~ ~

Hey guys! Author here! Just wanted to mention that she has seen this mystery man several times before, so she recognizes him, there's no fault there. I'm hoping to get reviews on grammar issues and smoothing out my writing. Hope you can help!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 43

Donate
Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:37 pm
Amabilia says...



Can you let me know when you post the next chapter?




User avatar
1220 Reviews


Points: 72525
Reviews: 1220

Donate
Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:11 pm
Kale wrote a review...



Hello again! It looks like I'm back for another chapter, so I'll spare you the introductory spiel. ;P

I haven't read Chapter 3 since I'm focusing on clearing out the back of the Green Room, but if you'd like me to go back and give you more complete reviews of all the chapters, feel free to leave a request in my WRFF thread and I'll get to them as soon as I can.

I caught a few minor typos that I think you'll be able to catch on a closer read-through when you're revising, so I'm going to leave those out in lieu of discussing my thoughts on the description in here, since you mentioned in your author's note at the bottom that you're looking for more focus on smoothing out your writing.

With that said, the descriptions in the first half of the chapter were a bit of a slog for me to read through because there's so much wordage spent on describing the outfits that didn't work, and I was left wondering why it was so important to describe them in such detail if they weren't going to work.

I think what would have been more effective would have been to mention the number of outfits that didn't work in passing, and then perhaps show a bit of scene where Max heaves a huge sigh and goes "I was planning to wear this myself, but since none of the others worked, we can try this one", they try on the blue dress, it doesn't work, and then Max could have a moment of "oh yeah I have this one dress in the back of my closest that's really nice but too small for me to wear so maybe it will work".

I think that sort of approach to the dressing up scene will help characterize Max a bit more as well as highlight Oakley's frustrations with the dressing up because the latter has gotten a bit lost in the detailed descriptions of the failed outfits.

The descriptions in the latter half of the chapter were much more focused though, and boy did the plot thicken.




User avatar
641 Reviews


Points: 46598
Reviews: 641

Donate
Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:02 pm
Panikos wrote a review...



Hi, BaileyMatwiiw. Sorry for the delay! I've been either busy or recovering from lack of sleep this weekend so I haven't got around to reviewing anything.

Another interesting chapter. The story is developing nicely, especially now we're getting to the beginnings of what I assume will be the main plot. Part of me thinks you need to get to this part slightly more quickly, but that may just be because I've read each instalment in spaced-out sittings. Either way, it's not a problem to address now. Back to the chapter at hand!

Nitpicks

"Babe, it's Howler's. Howler's. You gotta wear less than that. And something that's in one piece..." Max said.


Not so sure about the ellipsis. I feel like it would work if you didn't have the dialogue tag, but otherwise a comma would work just as well.

Oakley stared at her friend, noticing that Maxine was wearing sweat pants and a baggy T-shirt.


Make more of a point that she's staring at Maxine's clothes. If you had something like:

Oakley stared at Maxine's sweat pants and baggy T-shirt. She caught the judgement.

"Well, I'm not ready yet..."


It's less telling this way. More concise, too.

She caught the judgement,


As shown in the above point, you should have a full stop rather than a comma after 'judgement'.

Oakley followed in obedience and silence, showing no resistance, yet wanting so badly to resist.


I think you could pick this apart to make it less telling, too. What kind of resistance does she want to show? Would she pull away? Try to be more specific. If you had something like this:

Oakley followed, dragging her feet, wishing she had the will to rip her hand away.

Like always, it's just an example, but it demonstrates a few subtle changes. It doesn't say Oakley is being obedient, it just lets us gather that from the fact that she follows. It's also more exact about what the theoretical resistance would look like, which I think is more immersive. It's up to you how you rephrase the quote or if you do at all, but keep these points in mind.

if put on a curvier figure, or one with a little more chest.


Delete the comma.

The first was a dark red with lace


A dark red what? Missing word.

Plus, they covered a large amount of arm and seemed to emphasize how small the amount of leg was covered.


Maybe tighten up the expression here. You could have:

Plus, they covered a large amount of arm and seemed to emphasize how little leg was covered.

Or something like:

Plus, they covered a large amount of arm, which seemed to emphasize how much leg was on show.

I'd probably prefer a variant of the second, seeing as it gets rid of the repetition of 'covered'.

The second was a strapless blue dress that hung around her ankles, and had a slit down the left leg.


Delete the comma. I'm one for overusing commas after 'and' as well.

The third was a frilly purple dress that made her feel as though she was a child on Halloween in a princess costume. Though, Oakley figured that no matter what she picked, she would still feel like she was dressing up as someone else.


Delete the comma after 'though'. I've noticed you have a habit of slipping in unnecessary commas when you use 'though' and 'but' at the start of a sentence, so keep an eye on that in future.

Come to think of it, I also think this quote should be one sentence. You can get away with starting sentences with conjunctions sometimes, but I don't think it works here. I'd change the full stop after 'costume' to a comma.

Max came out from the closet, displaying a very skinny dress that looked like it was made fit for a Barbie doll. It was a short black dress that left the shoulders uncovered with attached sleeves that reached to her elbows.


Picky point, but get rid of the repetition. Also, do you mean that it has open shoulder/cold shoulder sleeves? The description is a little convoluted. You could have something like:

Max came out from the closet, displaying a very skinny dress that looked like it was made fit for a Barbie doll. It was a short and black, with cold shoulder sleeves that reached to the elbows.

If you mean that the dress is strapless, just say that it's 'short, black and strapless, with sleeves that reached to the elbows'. People will know what you mean.

When Oakley had tried it on,


'Had' makes it sound like she's taken it off again.

Howler's was a wide one story building with a floor that sunk low into a dance floor in the middle by stair.


1) You mean 'one-story', with a hyphen. I thought you'd spelt it wrong for a second, but I just checked and found out that it's only spelt 'storey' in British English. You learn something new every day. :P

2) I don't like the expression in the second part of the quote. It's a bit of a struggle to figure out what you mean. Do you mean that there are stairs leading down to a sunken square of floor which is the dance floor? Play with the sentence and try to make it a bit clearer.

Oakley stared into the crowds of people, eyeing a boy and a girl who looked no older than she,


Have either 'no older than she was' or 'no older than her'.

For a short moment she felt reassured by the amount of security, then wondered if they found it necessary to have so many guards.


Do you mean 'then wondered why they found it necessary to have so many guards?' 'If' sounds weird.

We can leave it you want,"


Typo.

Max grinned, and half-walked half-skipped down


You need a comma between 'half-walked' and 'half-skipped'.

and the thought that her and her friend were separated in the night club filled with troublemakers and security officers made her feel unsteady


1) Should be 'she and her friend'.

2) I feel like 'a' would be better than 'the'. 'Separated in a nightclub filled with troublemakers and security officers' just sounds more natural to me.

3) Nightclub is one word.

She pushed the thought aside and tried to swallow her uncomfortable fear.


Just an unnecessary descriptor, really.

She had asked the tattooed barista if they carried sodas


'Had' puts it in the past perfect, making it sound as though it's already happened prior to her getting to the bar.

....and Oakley the prey. "Right," Oakley said, "just two Cokes, please. Or, uh, Dr. Pepper if you have it." She was handed the drinks within a couple minutes and twisted away from the counter.


Need some new lines in here. It should be:

...and Oakley the prey.

"Right," Oakley said, "just two Cokes, please. Or, uh, Dr. Pepper if you have it."

She was handed the drinks within a couple minutes and twisted away from the counter.


Her eyes searched the room for her friend


Just say 'Max'. Names are better than vocatives when you're familiar with the character.

Her eyes searched the room for her friend, and landed on a man glaring back at her. He wasn't far from her, and from the short distance, his stare seemed to pierce into her skin like knives. His dark hair was tousled, as if he had just rolled out of bed, and his grin was laced with a lust that said "found you."


Bit of a comma fest here. I'll rewrite the quote with the deletions:

Her eyes searched the room for Max and landed on a man glaring back at her. He wasn't far from her, and from the short distance, his stare seemed to pierce into her skin like knives. His dark hair was tousled as if he had just rolled out of bed and his grin was laced with a lust that said "found you."

I also don't think you use both speech marks and italics together, so just found you would work fine. I know I've broken that very rule in this review, but...

It was a feeling so much worse than butterflies, as if the butterflies died and became moths made of fire, tearing at her insides


It's a slightly...odd simile. It's also at odds with the idea of 'tearing' - fiery moths wouldn't tear, they'd burn. Either way, my insides have never felt torn nor burned when I was anxious, so I don't think the simile conjures up the feeling of panic that well. Maybe focus on a more relatable sensation - her stomach might twist or drop, her heart might whack at her ribcage, that sort of thing.

She felt fingers wrap around her forearm and jerk her backwards


Scrap the filter word. 'Fingers wrapped around her forearm and jerked her backwards' has much more punch. There's a couple of other 'felt's towards the end of the passage that you might want to delete as well.

Overall Thoughts

1) My main issue with this chapter is probably Oakley's reaction to being...well, assaulted by the dark-haired guy. I don't find it realistic that she'd forget who he was and feel 'no urgency to resist' him. Given that she was so stressed by even being in the club, I doubt any tousle-haired good looks and kissing ability could stop her from feeling completely violated and terrified. Besides, a kiss that's likened to being devoured by a lion doesn't exactly sound pleasant!

I can understand if shock and terror made her completely freeze up, but to hint that part of her enjoyed it feels far-fetched to me. Being manhandled and kissed by someone who's been effectively stalking you would be horrifying no matter how good-looking the assailant was.

2) When you're describing the club, I think you could do a bit better than calling the music 'uncomfortably loud'. If it's anything like what I'm used to, it goes beyond uncomfortable. It's a good opportunity to use the sense of touch - you could talk about how Oakley can feel the music pulsing up through the floor, thudding in her stomach and ribs, anything like that.

3) The relationship between Max and Oakley is still excellent. I like Max's characterisation as the lovable, well-meaning bad friend. Having her leave her best mate alone in a place she's obviously uncomfortable in showcases her (very believable) flaws.

I'll wrap the review up here because my evening meal beckons. I hope this helped! As I said earlier, I'm sorry for the delay; I'll try to be prompter in reviewing future instalments, which I'm very much looking forward to reading.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan





I would rather die of passion than of boredom.
— Émile Zola