what to do when the trauma piles up

by atlast

Thu May 06, 2021 2:43 pm
waywardxwanderer wrote a review...

o h w o w . I want to leave a review, even if I don't have any critiques or even words for the way this poem makes me feel. Every single word, every note is so beautiful- it's so full of hope and recovery and just--- This poem is absolutely lovely. It's one of the most beautiful poems I've ever read, and it's the kind of poem that could genuinely help people and change lives. Thank you for writing this.

atlast says...

Thank you so much, wayward! Typically a review is posted in order to provide friendly critiques and praise for a writer looking to improve a piece. I do very much appriciate the compliments!

Thu May 06, 2021 3:35 am
manilla says...

I must leave a review on this when I can. Man, this spoke to me, and man, you say all the right words.

atlast says...

manilla oh my goodness! thank you so much for the incredible compliment <3

deleted32 wrote a review...

Hiya Ashlyn here for a review!! Before I dive into it though please know that this review is not intended to offend you or make your writing look bad.

6. ...sometimes the best way to heal is in the background.
7. make a list. it's easier then you'd think.

Looks like you may have missed a space here ^^
3. try to forget
4. but not forever. you need to rest, but one day you must come and face the wolves. they will continue to howl in the back of your mind until you do.

Ack, yeah, that's the thing about trauma isn't it? You can try to forget it, but sooner or later you'll face it. Maybe you could expand on that a bit and go into the effects that holding back trauma and not dealing with it can have?
You can feel free to ignore this next bit because it's just me trying to offer a new perspective, but maybe you could use a different comparison besides wolves? This is a very special poem and it deserves a comparison that's more unique then wolves ^^
Again, that's just me offering a different perspective so you can leave that as it is.
6. grow. lean into the sun because sometimes you have to burn, to watch your skin peel off in sheets, before the softness sets in. trust that even when your petals wither, the spring will bring with it flowers just as beautiful.

Now this, this is just absolutely beautiful and sublime in every single way possible <3 And every word is true. In order to heal one does have to feel pain, or as you put it 'burn and watch your skin peel of in sheets before the softness sets in'.
There's nothing else I can critique so I'll have to conclude my review. I hope you found it helpful, and if you didn't, I hope it at least made you smile.
Thanks for writing this perfect work of art
-Ashlyn

atlast says...

Hi Ashlyn! Thank you so much for the review and kind words. I really appriciate it.

I can do some brainstorming when I revise to see if I can find a less cliche metaphor than the wolves. My thought process in that was related to the idiom "thrown to the wolves." Your suggestion is totally valid, though, and I'll see what I can think up.

Again, thank you so much for the compliments and the suggestions!

Happy writing!
Atlas

Maybe I should say something quote-worthy, like, I dunno... "You can only be happy if you decide to be happy?"
— Necromancer14