z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

Absolute - Chapter 4

by Vervain


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

-text removed-


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
125 Reviews


Points: 59
Reviews: 125

Donate
Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:47 pm
Songmorning wrote a review...



My heart leaped at: "Dress nice, or Andi will throw a fit." I'm so excited~~ I suppose Mavon put on her show of incredulity for the sake of other people in the library? They must not have been alone, or else she wouldn't have tried to discourage him like that before setting up the meeting.

I think I learned something new today. The Alamo was once a chapel. Thanks for the little tidbit--it was well-integrated.

Elijah's Korean! I now have a more refined mental image of him. ^_^

I knew as soon as he started following the purple hair that he was making a mistake.
"somewhere between gorgeous and grotesque"--that phrase made my eyes widen. Amazing.

At first, I thought the creature actually was Mavon in her "true form" or whatever. However, when Mavon appeared and acted distressed that Elijah had given that thing the bookmark, I changed my mind. There's obviously some enemy out there who shouldn't have all that information.

As for Andi, they did not disappoint. There's too many little, delightful details for me to react to them all. I try to write my reviews like I would write annotations, with moment-by-moment emotional responses to particular parts of the story, but Andi is just overwhelming. I suppose my favorite part was this:

" "Oh, you're Kitty's guest!" Andi bounced on their toes and clapped their hands together, looking more like an excited child than an extravagant socialite, then gathered themself and straightened out their dress."

I can just hear their voice in my head. Now, the pronoun "they" referring to Andi is going to take a little getting used to, but I think it's the best choice. I struggle a bit with thinking of "they" as more than one person, but I did read somewhere that it can be correctly used in English to refer to a single person of unknown (or no/both) gender.

Now, there is something that I was awkwardly but immediately curious about when you described them as wearing a purple dress. Does Andi have, um, a rounded chest, so to speak? I think you could incorporate the presence or absence of boobs (sorry >_<) into your original description of them. I'm currently assuming Andi's flat-chested because Elijah didn't seem to immediately think of them as a female, despite the dress. He seemed rather unsure. Though, of course, he was dazzled.

As I expected, Andi is now my official favorite character. They're just as squee-worthy and delightful as I had hoped.




Random avatar

Points: 3068
Reviews: 161

Donate
Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:19 pm
View Likes
kayfortnight wrote a review...



Hey, Ark!

Characters:

Mavon: Meh on the acting at the library. Not horrible, but come on, he saw her name on the bookmark, she's going to have to do better than that to convince him. I actually like that she didn't really seem like she was trying to convince him, considering how ready she was to give him the club address and go for info. Hmm... At the moment, my call would be that she's wanted to tell him for a while now, maybe even made sure he ended up with the bookmark, and is just trying to cover her back with the feeble attempt to say "No, that's crazy."

Elijah: Oh, come on, 'Lijah, you seriously believe her acting for even a moment? I suppose you could go for thinking maybe the bookmark was fictional, given it's a library, but seriously, she's practically telling you.

I know people might get all up in arms about him handing the bookmark over, but I don't really blame him. Survival instinct, at least. I do wish he'd have a moment's worry of "why does it want it so bad?" though, even if he doesn't hesitate to hand it over anyway.

Andi: Hmm. Genderqueer or perhaps some type of multiple (hey, you never know with sci-fi), based on those pronouns. Still, kind of surprised 'Lijah didn't assume based on that dress- he has glanced at strangers before and thought of them as male or female, so him immediately knowing Andi is genderqueer, of what form currently unspecifed, strikes me as a little off. Andi isn't described as dressing androgynously, after all- at the moment, the description is fairly feminine. Maybe have Elijah assume a gender and get corrected later on? As to other things about Andi- they act pretty shallow and light, but I sense a conniving mind hidden by that quirky exterior.

Homeless monster guy: Lessee... Ugly, animalistic, but can speak and knows what to get, so has some level of intelligence.

Mechanics:

he could have told
Not a real problem, but it does sound a little clunky.

in case of one girl with stunning green hair
in the case




He didn't know how he'd mistaken the thing for Mavon; it was obviously much taller than her, and built much larger.
To say nothing of the whole gaping jaw and clay-like features, Elijah, is rather insulting to the woman who just asked you out on something resembling a date. (Kidding, kidding!)


A set of footsteps neared him, and he jumped when a smaller hand touched his shoulder, but it was definitely not angelic. "Holy shit," Mavon breathed, crouching next to him. She touched the back of his neck, and he pushed himself away from her. "The hell happened here, Elijah?"

"Something... wanted..." Pain twinged through the right side of his jaw, and he rubbed at the joint. Hopefully nothing was messed up; he'd gone through two wisdom tooth surgeries without anything going wrong, and someone smashing him against a wall was going to do it for them. "The bookmark."

"Shit." Mavon leaned back and closed her eyes, pinching the bridge of her nose. She sounded like he had just told her he'd killed her dog. "And you gave it to them. Shit. Now you've done it. Come on," she said, pulling Elijah to his feet. He tried to catch his balance on her shoulder as the world spun around him. "Let's head inside. Andi's not gonna like this."




Vervain says...


Thanks for the review, as always~

Yeah, Mavon's not really trying to convince him they're not real; at this point, she's basically going "well, he got into the bookmark, now it's either tell him the truth or scare him into submission".

And as for Andi, I'm basically using their pronouns from the beginning because I'm not very good at the whole switching pronouns halfway through thing, and I have a feeling that no matter what I would do for that, people would skim it or misread it and call it "too weird" or "too confusing" that they would be called "her" before and "them" after clarification. So they're going to be staunchly they/them, probably until draft 2 when I can play around a little more with how they present.

Thanks for the mechanics feedback~ Just shows what you miss, even with proofreading xD A note, did you accidentally submit a draft of the review, with the bits of the chapter at the end?


Random avatar
kayfortnight says...


Bleargh, yeah. Sorry about that. I thought I had deleted that- I like to have it in the box so it's closer to reference to, especially while going line by line




"Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness."
— Bishop Desmond Tutu