Home » Literary works » Other » General

A Message to Bullies

by AnneTaylor

So this isn't really a poetic piece or an informational paper, or anything like that, it is simply just what the title says. 

-

I wrote this when I was 12 (so keep that in mind when reviewing) and I was asked to let some students read it out loud in their classes in two different schools. It's not that good, but what I wrote is the truth.

-

-

_A Message to Bullies

I am too good for you,

You don't deserve me.

-

I am too confident in who I am for you to tear me down or try to change me.

-

I am too beautiful on the inside for you to tell me that my outward beauty isn't adequate according to your standards, and then convince me that it makes me "ugly" or not worth it.

-

I am all too aware of my flaws for you to hurt me by continuing to point out my mistakes, I already know I mess up - it's called being human.

-

I am too happy for you to make me sad.

-

-

You don't deserve my attention when all you say is nonsense.

You don't deserve my time- my time is taken up by worthwhile indeavours.

You don't deserve my tears- when I cry, I have a good reason.

You don't deserve my friends either- They are amazing people who are loving and kind,  and we won't give in no matter how hard you push.

-

How confident are you? Can you only feel good about yourself by trying to make others feel insecure?

Are you beautiful on the inside? Or are you only consumed with hatred toward those who have done you no wrong?

Do you know that you have flaws? Or do you truly think that you're justified in your acts of cruelty?

How valuable is your time? Do you only use it to tear others down?

How much do you care about your friends? Do they all like you? Do you have any?

Are you happy?

-

-

AN: I must clarify something at the end where I seem to be taunting and making jabs at the bully I'm addressing...

I do not think that bullying is okay for anyone to do to anyone, not even back at your bully. Part of the intention of the last bit is to humanize the bully and to make people realize that they have feelings too, but still NOT in any way defending their actions. Thank you for reading, if you have any stories to share on this topic, or you have something to add to my statements, or a critique of what I wrote, go ahead and leave it below. :) I do not take offense, (unless you're actually being mean)

-Anne

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:47 am
Capa002 wrote a review...

Hi Anne,
Thanks for tagging me so I could read this. It's honestly such a great peice. Considering that this was written by a 12-year old, it's amazing.
The language and repetition is all very effective, but if you do want to improve it (and I've seen your other work and it's also really good) to reach the standard your capable of now, you could maybe use more sophisticated language? The language you've used is good, but at times it is simple, which can be both affective and overly simple, depending on the context. For example, instead of saying "are you beautiful on the inside" maybe you could think of a more creative way to put that?
One thing I really loved about this is that you managed to humanize the bully without validating their actions. And there's a very fine line between humanizing and glamourising a bully, but you did that perfectly. For a 12 year old I think that's more than amazing.
By the way, don't get me wrong, the suggestions I made were purely for if you wanted to improve on it, in my opinion I thought it was a great peice the way it is. Never would've guessed you wrote this when you were 12.
By the way sorry for the late review.

Good job and thanks for sharing!

Gigi12 wrote a review...

Hey, this is so good! I'm only 12 now and I couldn't write a poem like this. I often struggle with bullies at school myself. I am so glad there are strong people like you out there who believe in themselves. I like to think that I could stand up to a bully like this. I like the way you spaced your poem. I know that bullies have thier own problems and that they are humans just like the rest of us. Keep thinking the way that you do and we'll all be better off. I love this.

it;s my first review so don't be too harsh.

AnneTaylor says...

Thanks so much, fren :)

SpaceSnickerdoodle wrote a review...

Hiya! Glad I was tagged in this!
You said it was written by you when you were twelve, and that being I was impressed and delighted by the grammar and long words that really made it flow well. I also love the concept, making a bully seem more human really helps in understanding why they do the things they do.
One of the good things about this is that it questions the bully, asking them why they do it, telling them that their unneeded and unwanted cruel behavior helps no one and that the protagonist is above their petty fighting. Most bullies do what they do because they don't know how to cope with their own problems, they are weak so they give in and fight others to cope. This brings that to attention. It is also important to fight back without becoming a bully yourself. Rise above them while also defending yourself. I'm glad that you mentioned this.
Along with the beautiful vocabulary and writing, I enjoyed it!

I only have some advice for you, and that is too maybe cut down sentences that are too long. Break up a run-on sentence so it isn't that much of a mouthful.

This was a great literary piece! Good job!

-Space the Snickerdoodle

AnneTaylor says...

Thank you so much for the review! I'm glad you liked it. I agree with the run-on sentence issue, that wasn't something I used to look out for at that age. I'd like to think I have improved some! XD

LKSpinoza wrote a review...

I am glad I was tagged on it. Reading it made me think how much I liked it. You said it's not really a poetic piece, but it is, indeed. Although I wonder what would you write, if you had a longing to write something like this nowadays. We all know that bullies didn't have an easy life, otherwise they would've been different. It is easy to understand them too because everyone is born equal and difference appears when danger disappears. You see if one sees a bully probably family members did beat him/her and as they see weaklings they do begin acting cruel. Thank you for this poem and I'd like to see more like this. Let there be Love and Piece. ;)

AnneTaylor says...

Thank you very much for the review. I'm glad that you liked it :)

Lake wrote a review...

Anne, this is what I want to say all the time to people who make me depressed, that's 30% why I am the way I am. I think that when you wrote this, when you were only 12! It was amazing, I'm glad you wrote it, if you hadn't, I would have a review for this totally different. I loved this, there were no grammatical errors, it flowed, and overall, keep writing poems like these, they sound and look amazing, giving a very positive message! Keep up the fantastical work bud!:)

AnneTaylor says...

Thanks so much! :3

Peaceofmind says...

This was so good iwhish i could feel this way but i dont have enough self confidence tosay the things that you said. Thank you for this though it made me feel good.
I agree that bullying is terrible and no one should ever bully, it's a waste of time. Good job writing, Anne.

AnneTaylor says...

I'm glad you liked it :)

Peaceofmind says...

Peaceofmind says...

I wanna like put this on my wall now.

Man is by nature a political animal.
— Aristotle