Home » Literary works » Lyrics » Lyrical

16+

Love You Back

by AlmostImmortal

{Intro}
Hey, I know we just met
But you're the most beautiful girl
I've ever had the pleasure to see 
So could I take you to the movies maybe?

Uh... no. 

{Verse One}
Listen here, bud
I don't know you
I only know your name from class role
You talk about me
Like I'm some painting
And not a human being
So why would I want you 
Spoiler, I don't

You want to take me
Into the bathroom
And that's just indecent 
Frankly, it makes me sick
Just because I look like a girl
Doesn't mean I want to suck your-

{Pre-chorus}
Uh oh, I crossed a line again
Uh oh, I broke someone's heart again
But society's wild fantasies 
Have never been for me
{Chorus}
So no
I don't like you back
And  no
You can't change my mind
Sex and love don't make us whole
Cuz' we were never broken 
Just because you got some petty crush
Doesn't mean I have to love you back

{Verse Two}
Ugh, don't look at me like that 
Is it that hard to stay friends
I don't want you like that
Am I going to have to repeat myself again 
Listen, this body is mine
And I'm the one who gets to decide
Who can see it and I choose no 
Look, y'all get new crushes every week
And that's fine, just don't include me

{Pre-chorus}
Uh oh, I crossed a line again
Uh oh, I broke someone's heart again
It's not my fault you fell for the one
That'll never ever like you back
{Chorus}
So no
Don't text me back
And no
I won't give you a try
Sex and love don't make us whole
Cuz' we were never broken
Just because you got some petty crush
Doesn't mean I have to love you back

{Bridge}
And sure 
I'll admit that I want romance
But it sure as hell isn't with you
So keep your things
And week-long flings
Because those are for you
If you enjoy those things then have them
Because life is short
But don't try to rope me in
Because babe, you'll never win

Pre-chorus}
Uh oh, I crossed a line again
Uh oh, I broke someone's heart again
I'm not selfish for being myself
I don't have to worry about you
{Chorus}
So no
I don't like you back
And no
I won't give you a try
Sex and love don't make us whole
Cuz' we were never broken
Just because you got some petty crush
Doesn't mean I have to love you back
Because I can't love you back

Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:08 pm
Pink is the new black wrote a review...

{Intro}
"Hey, I know we just met
But you're the most beautiful girl
I've ever had the pleasure to see
So could I take you to the movies maybe?"

I love the intro. It feels like a love-sick teenager who tries too hard to be adorable yet funny at the same time (fudorable, I just made up a word!), just hit on a girl who's not interested. He should respect that, yet the majority of guys think women are just playing hard to get, I'm here just shaking my head at their attitude. And of course, they use crazy compliments like "the most beautiful girl I've ever had the pleasure to see", and their compliments are a bit cliche, not that their not nice, it's just that sometimes women expect to be complimented on their wit or their intelligence, not just beauty. And most, like myself, would love a relationship where the guy is involved emotionally, not just acting all hormonal over a silly crush, but forming a friendship at first and talking to a girl like she's a human being, not a prize to be won. So, yeah, the intro is good and relatable.

I love the part when you say, "uh...no."

The verses are nice, I like the parts where the girl tells him why she does not want to be with him, because he talks about her like some sort of painting.

"You want to take me
Into the bathroom
And that's just indecent
Frankly, it makes me sick
Just because I look like a girl
Doesn't mean I want to suck your-"

This verse reminds me why some guys treat women badly and make them indecent offers, most likely thinking with their other head.

{Pre-chorus}
"Uh oh, I crossed a line again
Uh oh, I broke someone's heart again
But society's wild fantasies
Have never been for me
{Chorus}
So no
I don't like you back
And no
You can't change my mind
Sex and love don't make us whole
Cuz' we were never broken
Just because you got some petty crush
Doesn't mean I have to love you back"

I like the attitude in the pre-chorus, she sounds bombastic and careless about society's wants and I love that.

{Verse Two}
"Ugh, don't look at me like that
Is it that hard to stay friends
I don't want you like that
Listen, this body is mine
And I'm the one who gets to decide
Who can see it and I choose no
Look, y'all get new crushes every week
And that's fine, just don't include me"

This verse is basically preaching, like women get to decide whom they allow to see their body. And it's just fact, I wish some people respected it.

{Bridge}
"And sure
I'll admit that I want romance
But it sure as hell isn't with you
So keep your things
And week-long flings
Because those are for you
Because life is short
But don't try to rope me in
Because babe, you'll never win"

I like how she tells him to keep his flings but that she does not want to get roped in. I like her confidence, saying "Because babe, you'll never win", that's a winner's attitude.

Thank you for the review!

Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:28 pm
JoyDark wrote a review...

Hey! Figured I’d review this thing because this would be a BOP.

First off, allow me to complement this song as a whole. The devil-may-care attitude throughout the lyrics is wonderful and really helps to drive the mood home. I love some of the cheekier bits, especially the pre-chorus and the couple of lines before each one. And the chorus itself also has plenty of attitude that I feel like can apply not just to ace people, but to anyone who doesn’t like someone back. The wit and bite of the lyrics gives me chills, and I think I was smiling throughout reading this because the attitude just makes it so full of emotion and, in my opinion, quite fun.

I also like the beginning of the song; if this was ever put into music, I can picture the first stanza with a piano backing, soft and sultry and cliché—only to be busted in by the first official verse with drums and guitars adding to the bite of the lyrics. As such, I feel like the first words of the song would be sung kind of slowly, and rest of the song being sung with a bit more hustle.

As a critique, though? The words “So please, won’t you date me” probably sound kind of (for lack of a better word, I’m sorry) cheesy and bad when crooned over a sweet melody. I feel like this idea of going on a date could be put a little better, with maybe this guy asking this girl out on a specific date, instead of just immediately asking to be their boyfriend. It would be more realistic, and you would still have that contrast of cheesy love song crashed in by shutdown-ace-throw-down lyrics and mood. (Does that at all make sense? I’ve been inarticulate lately.)

Overall? Love the song, because I bet a lot of ace people can relate to it, and the wit and unapologetic mood for being yourself is present in each line. Even I can relate to it on a level without being ace, just for the fact that I’ve broken a couple of people’s hearts before. I wish I could hear this produced; I’d love to see how the melody and pace is, plus how the rhyming works!

You guessed precisely how I planned this song. The start would be all sweet and cheesy, pianos and drawn out words. Then, everything would stop for just a moment before the music itself got an attitude, and it%u2019d be great. I%u2019m glad the along spoke to you! Thanks for the critique about giving a specific date. I%u2019m probably going to go with the movies because of cliches. Thank you for your or review!

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
— Charles Mingus