z

Young Writers Society



Shattered Glass

by Justagirl


Shattered Glass

The rain beats down
and shots ring out 
in the distance.

Distance is what you've given me

Thunder booms 
like when I screamed at you.
Lightning flashes
like when you hit me.

The smell of grass 
is fresh, like the rain
water dribbling down my face.

Tears once took the same path.

When you left me,
but I'd already left you,
in the blank stares I'd give.

There was no more of me
you could break.
So you moved on, 
leaving me like shattered glass,
sparkling on the ground
waiting for someone to sweep me away.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 798
Reviews: 1

Donate
Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:07 pm
View Likes



This was so sad and perfect. This was very in-depth and heart-breaking, but in a good way. Nice job!
-Vi




Random avatar

Points: 265
Reviews: 20

Donate
Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:43 am
tamtam97 wrote a review...



That is so sad and yet, so perfect the way you described, the detail and work you must have put in. You're really talented.
www.writicles.wordpress.com




User avatar
187 Reviews


Points: 350
Reviews: 187

Donate
Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:37 am
ChocoCookie wrote a review...



You should read this when you're listening to Demi Lovato's- Give Your Heart A Break .

It'll make you really sad. :(
BUT, THIS WAS AMAZING! BEAUTIFUL. I don't think I need to express anymore, Justa dahling. <3' You have proved to be THE writer! xD

Cookie 8)




User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 779
Reviews: 5

Donate
Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:35 am
Jenna12793 wrote a review...



Wow. That was simply beautiful. It reminded me a lot of my friend, who is going through some rough times of her own. In a way, I can actually feel the poem. But what I'm getting from it is mostly numbness, almost as though you had sat writing it with a blank stare and blocked mind. I don't know if that's how it's supposed to come off, but that's just what I'm getting. As I said though, it was beautiful.




User avatar


Points: 812
Reviews: 2

Donate
Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:36 pm
View Likes
ebyrd wrote a review...



That is so sad and yet, so perfect the way you described, the detail and work you must have put in, and I want you to know that, I hope you are not talking about a real person doing this and I hope that you and this piece will go very far together.




User avatar
35 Reviews


Points: 751
Reviews: 35

Donate
Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:14 am
phantomwriterjoe wrote a review...



So this poem is easy enough to understand and pretty enough to entice the reader to read on. My understanding of the poem is this; there is a thunderstorm, there is a girl in the thunderstorm, and said thunderstorm reminds said girl of the "stormy" relationship she had with a boy she probably loved very much. But he was abusive. Because the speaker mentions the smell of grass, that leads me to believe that she's actually outside in the rain in this thunderstorm, probably still sad from the break up.

The part here about "When you left me, but I'd already left you, in the blank stares I'd give" means that it was this abusive boy who broke up with the girl, but basically the girl had already left him because she'd become unresponsive after all the hurt she suffered from him.

The last part describes that this hurtful boy stuck around with this girl until he'd shattered so much of her that nothing was left anymore to shatter, and he "moved on".

here though, at the very end, the speaker says "Sparkling on the ground." that immediately makes me feel hopeful. Normally, if the speaker were just giving up on love, she probably wouldn't give the feeling that where she lay in the storm was beautiful. If she was hopeless, she'd just say "lying on the ground", but no, she says sparkling. This gives me the feeling that this girl knows that even though she's been broken, she is still a beautiful human being.

Then the very last line can be taken in two ways. The speaker says "Waiting for someone to sweep me away." now this could mean that she's just lying there waiting to be swept away and thrown in the trash, but I'm led to believe that she's lying there "sparkling" if you will, waiting for her prince charming to sweep her off her feet. She's hopeful that despite being broken, her beauty and wholeness as a person will attract someone else; someone who will love her the way she deserves.

That's what I'm choosing to think anyways. I can see why this poem is so popular. Good job ^_^

-The Phantom




User avatar
75 Reviews


Points: 605
Reviews: 75

Donate
Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:47 am
Tommybear says...



I liked this a lot. I'm just curious as to what rhythm or timing I should read it in? Or is it an open poem? Meant to be read like a novel, but more of a heartfelt story? Just wondering




Random avatar

Points: 515
Reviews: 1

Donate
Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:15 pm
Mike17jones wrote a review...



Awesome, just awesome. Very dee, and sounded as though it came from your heart. Liked a lot.




User avatar
179 Reviews


Points: 11017
Reviews: 179

Donate
Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:41 am
guineapiggirl says...



This is really nice. I don't really have anything to add but I really enjoyed the poem!




User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 1713
Reviews: 30

Donate
Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:41 am
Dragonette wrote a review...



Wow this is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G I love how you intertwined the thunderstorm with the heart break. Great work. Great passion. Thank you for writing poetry and therefore adding flavor to the world, don't stop. Keep it up :)




User avatar
66 Reviews


Points: 3030
Reviews: 66

Donate
Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:58 pm
Adriana says...



Ohh my God, it is so beautifully written!!! Congratulation for your work here, Justagirl! I just love it. Sorry if I don't have something useful to say...





You cannot have an opponent if you keep saying yes.
— Richard Siken