The Mind

by alliyah

The mind begins blank
without thought or word
here is silence and absent spaces
like searching an empty room for a stranger
and seeing the infinite hunger of the world
lacking the necessary seed
of the starting point, inspiration

the mind now filled
and thoughts come and go and go
and taking an express ticket to no where
in particular but still particular and ideas
taking every right or wrong turn
but not gaining ground; looking
and grasping at some internal compass, direction

so the mind closes
decapitated from the world
a world brimming with passion, innovation,
but also pain
keeping an armslength away from people
for the mind’s own protection
we must avoid people who own the potential
to slaughter or embrace and yet
I long for being surrounded by it all; discovery

and in time, the mind is stirred
the tunnels of the head have been cleared clean;
destroyed through the ashes of renaissance
leaving only the roots that were tied to foundation
I feel different almost steady and yet
cornered to declare my place
and so we wait the final end, closure

At last the mind is decided
somehow all thoughts have eroded to equilibrium
a balance of peace and danger,
of finally coming to the finale but still holding
that forgotten thread of opportunity
My course is set, the route revealed to have been
present all along, the trumpets sound,
the battle’s won, the sun sets
the only thing one could even desire
is the ultimate temptation; a new story.

1swimgirl wrote a review...

ITS REVIEW TIME!!!

This poem is quite deep. I really enjoyed it. I like how you italicized the last like word of each paragraph which gives these words more meaning. I like how you went through different stages the mind goes through. Maybe you could do one poem focusing on just one of the stages? Just a suggestion though. SO far all your works I've read have been amazing so just keep up the good work and I hope you have a great day!

Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:41 am
MissLyricz wrote a review...

Hey alliyah! :D

Well, this was a very interesting read, my friend. ;)

I liked the way you separated the different aspects of the mind in each stage of the thinking process, it was very inspiring to say the least. The style of each verse was very enjoyable to read, as well. You started with what your mind is, used an interesting description of that thinking stage, then at the end you used one word to conclude the idea. I just loved that- it was very creative!

My favourite part was the beginning and the end. When coming up with a new story, your mind is empty and all it needs is a bit of inspiration to kickstart the creativity. Then by the end of the creative process, a new story is born! A very interesting take on what occurs inside the mind of a creative person!

This is probably one of my favourites that you have written, but I'm sure after reading your other ones, I'll find many more little gems of poetry!

MissLyricz x

Thu May 22, 2014 12:48 am
Aley wrote a review...

Hello, I'm here because I keep seeing you around and I stalked your profile. ^^
I saw this only had one review so I figured I would get it out of the green room, but it's from 2012, so it might not be in there... I guess I'll be your necromancer.

I like the ideas behind these different sections. The flow of the poem makes it easy to read and you do well with the structure for the most part, although I'd encourage putting in more punctuation like commas and periods. The capitalization in this sort of indicates where the punctuation should be, and the flow of the poem follows along well enough that you don't honestly need to put it in, but it might shine it up a bit.

Also with your punctuation and capitalization, I would take out the capitalization of the end idea. It's really not necessary. We get the drift once we see the ":" and understand that this is the idea you were talking about. You've got a great structure set up from your repetition to enforce that too. I would also take out the ellipsis (...) in the first line because while it does create a pause, a comma can do that job better. To me, ellipsis should just be used if you're omitting information or words. Sort of like an... so that the reader knows something was supposed to be there, but it wasn't something you could say. What I omitted was 'incomplete sentence' if you're wondering ^.-

Moving on. I really like how you go through the poem. Your stanzas are pretty strong. There's a bit of a jump between the first two ideas, and the flow between stanzas could be a little stronger, but for the most part putting these together works well because of the structure. It reminds me a lot of the "Biography Poem" structure, and that's another reason to remove the ellipsis.

I think you could make it stronger by changing the word for Mind while you progress in time. Mind, thoughts, brain, imagination, these are all things you could use for the same word and get off the same poem. It might even give you some new ideas.

The one stanza that I have some issues with is the last stanza. First off we've already gotten our curtain call, so where's this got a place? If we're not wrapping up and editing, but moving on, then shouldn't we just restart the poem? Next, you have too many "Final" words in the third line of the stanza. Having both "Finally" and "Finale" in the same line is just a red flag for me. Change one of them.

So in summary, go through and re-do your punctuation now that you're more familiar with YWS and how to post poems on here with the html codes like </br> and <p> to help keep things together. Also I would suggest replacing ellipsis with commas, and taking the capitals out of the last words of the stanzas.

I hope this helps and I'll see you around ^^

FrancesLibertySmith wrote a review...

I love this poetic comment on every writer's greatest lover and greatest fear - the blank page. This is a poem that should have a very set structure, I think, but yet there are several deviations from a set pattern. You do not need a rhyme scheme, however, I think a steady rhythm will take this poem up a couple notches. The stanza pattern needs some cleaning up to, but I think this is an especially creative poem.

If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing.
— W. Edwards Deming