FEATHERS OF FIRE The Secret

by Devochka303

Under a full moon on top of a steep cliff overlooking the small town of Selio sat a young girl. Her hair was the color of bight orange sun rays, dipped in red molten lava. Her eyes the color of gold, and her clothes seamed to be made of one piece of silky ash wrapped gently around her, held tight by a fiery belt made of feathers. Her golden eyes darted the landscape sweeping from one house to another with a hopeful glare.

Behind her out of the forest walks out a young boy with similar feature: Red-Orange hair, golden eyes and an ash grey cloth with a belt made of fiery rope instead of strand of feathers. Fearing to interfere with the silence he whispers into the wind.

"Dawn, has she come?" His eyes glitter with hope as he looks at the girl. Twisting her head sideways Dawn shakes her head.

"No Flame, not yet."

"Will she ever come?" His voice prods with annoyance.

"Don't Fret young one she will be here soon."

"But it's a Red Moon soon. She has to be here by then."

"Flame she will," Whispers Dawn, her voice smooth as music.

"What if she doesn't come?" His eyes shine with fear and pain. Glancing away Dawn snaps her fingers, making a little flicker of fire glow from her fingers. Shaping the fire into a ball she tosses it from one hand to the other deep in thought, making the flame flicker and dance as it flies through the air.

After what seems like an eternity Dawn blows the fire off her hand, instantly turning it into a speak of ash, gently gliding to the ground.

"If she does not come I will make her." Putting her finger against his lip she continues. "Ripple decided to come early.Just because she was early does not mean that the next one will be late." Changing the subject she whispers. "This will be five years since Ripple came. Do you think she's ready?"

"I believe so." Flame answers.

"Then I will Quest her soon."

Slightly bowing his head Flame retreats into the forest. Looking down at the small town one last time Dawn releases a small sigh before fallowing Flame into the forest. Vanishing silently into the night.

Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:02 pm

First Impression: I loved the way that you handled this piece here. You've done a really good job with subtly establishing this world and these characters while creating just about enough mystery to interest readers without making it too vague.

Okayy...interesting start here...a little more like a gentle establishing shot almost there with some description and then panning to the characters here and what they look like. Its borderline a little too much description but I think balanced just about well enough here to be interesting.

"No Flame, not yet."

Okayy...well that's an interesting little conversation there. I love how you don't give away too much to really keep things interesting and make this dialogue sound that much more natural, you can sense the emotions here and that's enough to get some context but you don't spell it out too much and I like that.

Okayy...well that's a lovely quiet display of power. Ahh, I really love it when magic and powers like this are introduced in this much more subtle fashion with the focus here falling more on this character and something they seem to be rather keen on. Its a good combination here to make a pretty intriguing opening scenes.

"I believe so." Flame answers.

"Then I will Quest her soon."

And we have ourselves a nice and rather mysterious ending here...I really liked this one as well...just the feeling of a promise almost and a declaration of things to come before the characters just fade into the night.

Overall: Overall, I liked this start. It was a very clean opening piece with just about all the thing you expect from one of those and without any unnecessary baggage being added. All in all, a solid looking start that's certainly interesting enough that I find myself wanting to know more. :D

Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:52 pm
Leahweird wrote a review...

This is a really cool piece. I hope it's the startof something. I love how you used colour to set the tone.

Under a full moon on top of a steep cliff overlooking the small town of Selio sat a young girl.

I think it should be "

Her eyes the color of gold, and her clothes seamed to be made of one piece of silky ash wrapped gently around her, held tight by a fiery belt made of feathers.

You make it clear that here eyes are gold with the next sentence. Also, I think "seamed" should be "seemed", and the word "made" is superfluous

Behind her out of the forest walks out a young boy with similar feature: Red-Orange hair, golden eyes and an ash grey cloth with a belt made of fiery rope instead of strand of feathers.

Your missing an s in features (just a typo), but I think this should be split into seperate ideas. Like so:
"A young boy with similar feature walks out of the forest behind her. He shared the red orange hair and golden eyes. His ash grey clothing was tied with a belt made of fiery rope instead of a strand of feathers."
That's just one way of doing it though. I don't want to interfere with your style.

If there are errors after this, I didn't catch them. I might have been too drawn in by that point though. Cheers!

NO U
— Carina