Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » General

The War of the Swans: Author's Note

by FemmeFatale

Hello Reader,

This is just an author's note, to explain a few of the crazy things going on in my novella The War of the Swans, so if you want, you can totally discard this. Okay, first I want to start off by saying that this is set around the present, so lets say around 2010-2012. I know most places in Europe besides England no longer have a monarchy, if any. However, just imagine that all of Europe is still run by monarchies, because thats the only way this story will make any sense :-) Also, I borrow the names of two true Italian kings: King James Umberto and King Victor Emmanuel. These characters are in no way related to the actual kings. Think of them as those kings' grandson and great-grandson :-) Well, thats all, Enjoy (hopefully :-))

Snoink wrote a review...

Hi! I took a look at this because wars and swans always sound cool and I had to take a peek. :)

Anyway, I would probably see if I could integrate this sort of information into the actual narrative in the story. You could probably throw some hints about the time period by throwing in some cellphones and mentioning about how cumbersome it is to text, or perhaps talking about the computers in that day. So people will know that it is somewhat more modern and, from your description, be able to pin it around vaguely in that time frame. But also, you could have people complaining about non-existent monarchies, so that will give it a clue that there is some alternate future going on at the same time.

Also, it's cool to have literary allusions to random things without explicitly stating the random thing that you are alluding to. So, for example, one of my characters is named Tiziano, who I named after one of my favorite artists. But that's not at all important to the story, so it's just there for amusement, just in case it makes some art history buffs smile. Anyway, you don't have to explain all of your artistic decisions! In fact, it's fun to have some secret inside jokes hidden inside of your story. :)

Good luck with the rest! :D

This is just an author's note, to explain a few of the crazy things going on in my novella The War of the Swans, so if you want, you can totally discard this. Okay, first I want to start off by saying that this is set around the present, so lets say around 2010-2012. I know most places in Europe besides England no longer have a monarchy, if any. However, just imagine that all of Europe is still run by monarchies, because thats the only way this story will make any sense :-) Also, I borrow the names of two true Italian kings: King James Umberto and King Victor Emmanuel. These characters are in no way related to the actual kings. Think of them as those kings' grandson and great-grandson.

Hmm, so this is the first time I've run into an author's note posted as a dedicated literary work discussing the elements of a work before the work itself is published here....but I thought I might as well give a few remarks on what this seems to indicate here.

For starters, this title is really interesting, there are so many titles that you run into which have wars plastered all over them, but this is the first time that I've personally seen a war have anything to do with swans so that one instantly caught my interest there. The idea of this being set in the present day where most of the countries in Europe are assumed to have a monarchy is also a really interesting point there. Its hard to say if you've done too much worldbuilding on bringing about a world like that, but at any rate, the idea of a world where this is a possibility suggests a history that has to be quite drastically different from the current world and that definitely calls for some very exciting possibilities here.

All in all, just by reading through this, this sounds like it could be a pretty exciting read here. :D

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:27 pm
FemmeFatale says...

@Cresent and Confetti Thanx for your comments! I have deleted that paragraph of the Author's note so as not to confuse people or have them relate it to twilight, because it truly is not :-p Anyway, The characters names are Charles, Isabel (which are actual Italian royal names I believe :-)) and Mei. Thank you guys for all of your help :-)

Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:53 am
crescent wrote a review...

I haven't read your novel, but I have to agree with confetti. You should definitely change the names. If I were a reader, I'd definitely feel paranoid at all times. You could keep one of the four names though: Renee, Charlie, Bella. Swan. They have a lot of great baby naming sites out there. I personally use those for naming my characters. Most of them even provide the name's meaning.

As for the story itself, you could always just make it take place in a different world or alternate dimension. I do like princess and prince stories, myself. It sounds pretty interesting. You don't want to discredit your own work by making readers doubt your originality.

I'm not sure if this was helpful, but I hope it is...

-Crescent

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:27 pm
confetti wrote a review...

This interests me, but the fact that your characters have the same names as the Twilight characters is a bit of a turn-off. I feel like a lot of people would feel the same, and it would sound more of a fan fiction than your own story. You could always change their first names, it wouldn't be terribly difficult. For example: Charlie Swan can easily be changes to Charles, and I, myself, wouldn't think of Twilight when I read his name. Just a thought, but of course it's your story! x

When one is highly alert to language, then nearly everything begs to be a poem.
— James Tate