Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Romantic

A game of Cat and Mouse (Prologue)

by TorturedArtist

"Kitty?" he whispers, wrapping his arms around me. I feel him dragging me back into reality, anchoring me in the present. I stay silent, letting the blade clatter to the floor.

"You have to stop this," he says,"It doesn't help anyone."

I feel the blood run down my hands, dripping onto the cool tiles. I lean my head against his chest, "I'm sorry," I whisper, letting my hair fall acrosss my face.

He draws back, brushing my hair out of my eyes, "Don't hide away, my kitten," he says, a half-smile playing at the edges of his lips.

I close my eyes, fighting the tears, fighting the over-whelming emotions.

He kisses me softly on my forehead...my nose...each cheek...and finaly, my lips. I wrap my arms around his neck, pressing my body against the his. The kiss deepens, and he pushes me backwards, onto the floor. I feel him run his hands down my body, his lips moving franticaly against mine. I can feel his strong, steady heartbeat, and the eratic fluttering of mine. He draws back again and looks at me, and I feel as though he's staring into my soul.

"I love you, Kathryn," he whispers, his eyes are guarded, as if he isn't sure of my answer.

"I love you too," I breath. Then, only then, do I let the tears roll down my cheeks.

He sits up, pulling me onto his lap and wrapping his arms around me. I curl myself up into a ball, letting the sobs wrack through my body as he runs his fingers though my hair.

"I love you," he whispers again, "And I always will. Forever."

"Forever," I repeat, smiling slightly to myself, I drift off to sleep.

Forever

Hmmmm....with that sort of title, this is a very interesting situation to stumble upon. Even though the title implies some sort of hunt or chase or something like this, it seems we're starting at the scene of someone fallen here and potentially about to die, considering this is indeed a prologue and that is what usually tends to go down in those when they start in this manner.

Forever

Well that ending was wonderfully ambiguous there. It hints so much at the possibility that one of those character may just be dying, but never really fully lets on exactly what is happening there. That creates a wonderful sense of mystery in this piece, which combines very well with the raw emotion on display here by the characters and the rather vague backstory as to how things ended up this way to create quite a prologue.

I think overall, this piece manages to work very well as a prologue, it certainly gives you more than enough questions to be asking and wondering about so that you do find yourself wanting to know more about this piece here.

Writerchick says...

Way ta go Dude. this is realy good. i don't realy have much to say on it ( i'll leave that to the pro's) but its realy good

Once you have read a book you care about, some part of it is always with you.
— Louis L'Amour