z

Young Writers Society



Raining Tears

by WordsInMyMind


*I am aware that this is short but it is just a prologue so I assumed it would be okay.*

Image

Prologue:

Delicate crystals of frost embraced the bottom of the window. The warm rain ran over them, turning them into puddles of water. As the drops slid down they left streaks of smaller drops behind them, leaving it to be collected by another.

You could say that the rain and the frost are just like life. You could say that the rain is the tears from so many. You could say that people who think this are crazy. But who knows? Maybe I am.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4099 Reviews


Points: 253788
Reviews: 4099

Donate
Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:45 am
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

Anyway let's get right to it,

Delicate crystals of frost embraced the bottom of the window. The warm rain ran over them, turning them into puddles of water. As the drops slid down they left streaks of smaller drops behind them, leaving it to be collected by another.

You could say that the rain and the frost are just like life. You could say that the rain is the tears from so many. You could say that people who think this are crazy. But who knows? Maybe I am.


Hmm, this is a pretty interesting piece here, although I do feel it is a little too short. I'm not saying prologue can't be this short, I've seen shorter prologues that get across a pretty strong point regardless, but this one doesn't necessarily do as much or rather it doesn't do enough here for it to stand on its own as a prologue, I feel like you need to add on a little bit more here if you want it to walk as a prologue.

The message does catch your attention. A description of rain is usually not the most interesting thing in the world, but you've brought a bit more life to that idea and you manage to make things sound like they are a bit more than what they immediately appear as, which does in fact make for quite a intriguing bit, the thoughts that follow immediately after certainly nail that idea home and does make you take notice as a reader, however, it just sort of seems like you need to have a teensy bit more context here than what is essentially a bit of a rhetorical question, because while there is the start of something interesting, that is all there is, there doesn't necessarily seem to be a reason for us to want to read this story per see to find things out, so I think perhaps you could look into that a bit, but what you have here does sound pretty interesting.

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
84 Reviews


Points: 5736
Reviews: 84

Donate
Sat May 22, 2010 8:19 pm
fictionfanatic wrote a review...



This is actually pretty good despite its shortness. I hope you continue writing, it seems very intiguing.

I like how you describe the rain melting the frost and then tie it together with the girl thinking she could be crazy.

Your choice of words were really good too.




User avatar


Points: 1040
Reviews: 3

Donate
Sat May 22, 2010 8:03 pm
WordsInMyMind says...



I'm aware that it doesn't reveal too much but that was kind of the point. You'll see what I mean later one. I start explaining more into the story.

And I have read the Looking Glass Wars and while I agree that they are fanatstic it's not my style of writing.




User avatar
206 Reviews


Points: 1171
Reviews: 206

Donate
Sat May 22, 2010 7:25 pm
LadyPurple says...



I really like this. I'm fairly new so i don't exactly know what to say. Sorry....




User avatar
662 Reviews


Points: 52441
Reviews: 662

Donate
Sat May 22, 2010 7:18 pm
dogs wrote a review...



Very nice starter i can see lots of potential coming from this piece. However your last line when you say

WordsInMyMind wrote:You could say that people who think this are crazy. But who knows? Maybe I am.
When you say "Maybe I am" are you refering to the crazy part. A good thing about this piece is that its vague which is good in a prologue but maybe a little too vague. There are several different styles of Prologues you could go Shakespeare and do a poem for a prologue or you could do Frank Beddor (The Looking glass wars fantastic book i suggest you read it) and start with a scene in the middle. If you need any help PM me. this looks great and i can see a lot of great stuff coming from it!





It's a pity the dictionary has only one definition of beauty. In my world, there are 7.9 billion types of it- all different and still beautiful.
— anne27