z

Young Writers Society



Story Snippet #1

by TheEaseDropper


“What be your name; I must know the name of the violet eyes.” She turned to him. “You know not my name, nor will I tell you.” He asked “You tell me not your name; perhaps you’ve no name at all.” She responded “I have a name, which you know not.” “Then tell me, violet eyes, what must I do to hear your name?” She answered “It is simple, tell me your name, only then shall you hear mine.” Daniel said to her “I be Daniel Ramsey, son of Jonathan and Evelyn Ramsey. Will you tell me your name now violet eyes?” She giggled “What be my name, you ask. I am Acayla raise by Jacob.” He repeated her name “Acayla, I have never heard it before. What be the meaning of this strange name?” She responded “It matters not to me, nor my father.” “Can a name not have a meaning?” “I know not Daniel Ramsey.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4075 Reviews


Points: 251013
Reviews: 4075

Donate
Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:51 am
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

Anyway let's get right to it,

“What be your name; I must know the name of the violet eyes.” She turned to him. “You know not my name, nor will I tell you.” He asked “You tell me not your name; perhaps you’ve no name at all.” She responded “I have a name, which you know not.” “Then tell me, violet eyes, what must I do to hear your name?” She answered “It is simple, tell me your name, only then shall you hear mine.” Daniel said to her “I be Daniel Ramsey, son of Jonathan and Evelyn Ramsey. Will you tell me your name now violet eyes?” She giggled “What be my name, you ask. I am Acayla raise by Jacob.” He repeated her name “Acayla, I have never heard it before. What be the meaning of this strange name?” She responded “It matters not to me, nor my father.” “Can a name not have a meaning?” “I know not Daniel Ramsey.”


Okayy...so it appears this one is a bit of an excerpt from a larger piece, so that makes this quite interesting to review especially since there is no indicator to let us know where this snippet has been taken from nor do we have any sort of real context as to what might be going. Considering how short this snippet here is, I don't think that's the best idea here because it is really hard to tell what might be going on.

Moving past that, the first thing I notice here is the lack of formatting here. These lines of dialogue all need to be in their own paragraphs when a different person speaks. Not just for the general sort of rule when writing, it just helps a lot to a reader to be able to follow a piece a lot more effectively, so that should be looked into here.

Besides that this particular scene seems like a simple sort of introduction between characters but one that appears to be a little bit stylized to be a bit different, the phrasing of some of those questions seems deliberately different from the norm..which was the most interesting thing from this bit so far.

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
1260 Reviews


Points: 1630
Reviews: 1260

Donate
Tue May 04, 2010 10:53 pm
Elinor wrote a review...



Hi Ease!

So, I'm really not quite sure what to tell you. First and foremost, you need to skip a new line whenever a new person speaks. It's an age old rule about story formating, and it's what help keeps things short and easy to read-not just one big block of text.

Second, there wasn't really much substance to this story. It's just two people playing around and then introducing themselves, with a few dialogue tags in between. There isn't any prose beyond that, so we get no descriptions of appearances, where they are, or anything else that could help set the story and make it seem much more real to us.

I realize that this is not a standalone story, and when paired with the rest, it's probably much better. However, when choosing snippets of your story to present, think about something that will capture the best of the writing in your piece-something that will be exciting and introduce the conflict. Right now it's kind of just, "cool, two characters meet. Why should I even care?"

I don't know where this comes in the context of your story, but you should expand upon it. Add prose that describes the scenes the two characters are in and who they are. That way we'll become much more attached to this and the scene will be much more interesting.

I hope this helps! Good luck revising, and PM me if you have any questions.

-Elinor xo





"For a short space of time I remained at the window watching the pallid lightnings that played above Mont Blanc and listening to the rushing of the Arve, which pursued its noise way beneath. The same lulling sounds acted as a lullaby to my too keen sensations; when I placed my head upon my pillow, sleep crept over me; I felt it as it came and blessed the giver of oblivion."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein