z

Young Writers Society



disconnected

by bubblewrapped


and that was why it didn’t work. You see?
Parts were broken.
The same
must be true
of my mind.

I mean, sure, it functions well enough
to say hello, and blush, and
stammer out of conversational range. Right.
But who needs a mind prone
to ridiculous disagreements (with itself)
and inexplicable freezing stops
whenever anything more complicated
than “good morning”
is introduced?
Precisely.
Ordinary words
become tongue-twisters
and tongue-twisters
are suddenly and intimately connected
with prases such as “you look nice” and
“its good to see you”.
Does it matter if you never hear me?
I'm still
listening.

sometimes I think
the wires between my tongue
and my mind
and my heart
and my soul
have been

disconnected.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
170 Reviews


Points: 1090
Reviews: 170

Donate
Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:08 am
antigone says...



I liked it. Like the butterfly girl said, I love the way you started it. plus, it's exactly how I feel alot of the time. Freakily so. *Shrugs*. Nice job.




User avatar
136 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 136

Donate
Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:34 pm



:shock:
Clearly like marmite....




User avatar
1259 Reviews


Points: 18178
Reviews: 1259

Donate
Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:43 pm
Firestarter wrote a review...



Eh. I hated the word "inexplicable" in one of the lines, it just didn't fit with the flow if you read it out loud. "Ridiculous disagreements" is a bit of a mouthful too. In those couple of lines you seem to get lost in too many long words that cloud the meanings you want people to understand. I didn't really understand your line breaks. Okay, they're "disconnected" blah blah blah, but that excuse only gets you so far. Most of it seemed too random and I got a little annoyed and felt that it wasn't structured well enough. But that's my problem, you could say.

The ending was horribly predictable and a tad overdrawn. I'm remove the bit from "sometimes I think" up to "disconnected." I know you might feel like that's the main part of the poem, but it seems overly redundant.

Oh, first stanza, "The same/must be true/of my mind." That sounds so bad if you read it out loud. I pause a little after each line ends, and yes it is "disconnected" blah blah blah, but to the point of me being unable to enjoy it anymore.




User avatar
701 Reviews


Points: 10087
Reviews: 701

Donate
Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:37 pm
bubblewrapped says...



Thanks for your comments, everyone. PsyLynx, I've got a couple of things to say to you -

(1) Please dont tell me what I'm trying to do. You dont know, OK? You're guessing. It always rubs me the wrong way when people tell me what I'm trying to do in poems, because they usually have no idea. If you want to analyze the poem, fine. Just dont analyze ME.

(2) WHAT, exactly, am I "trying to spice up"? Because as far as I'm aware the only thing I was trying to express here was how I feel out of my depth in ostensibly ordinary social situations, when one has to make polite small talk and etc. Tell me how you interpreted the poem. Why does it seem cliche to you? Dont just burble catch-all's at me, I need something to work with here!

Also, never apologize for disliking something. I dont care if you like it, so long as you can tell me why, and how I can improve it.




User avatar
205 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 205

Donate
Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:15 pm
PsyLynx wrote a review...



It's so painfully mundane...you try to spice it up by saying the same old same old in new ways, and...you do say it in new ways, or at least with new words, but there is still nothing new in it, it's still cliche...I just don't really dig it, I'm sorry.




User avatar
202 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 202

Donate
Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:52 pm
Angel17 says...



It was like a converstion or a story. I liked it alot. :thumb:




User avatar
136 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 136

Donate
Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:04 pm



I really liked this too. I loved the way it start with "and" - no capital letter or anything....and I like thinks that break the 'rules' lol :thumb:




User avatar
122 Reviews


Points: 1115
Reviews: 122

Donate
Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:28 am
Brian says...



I liked it. It was somewhat humorous, and you did a great job with tone and diction.





Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
— Ann Landers