Nachlass

by Chevy

Darn, Brad...when did you start writing like this?

Darkness is daylight–At least
loneliness isn’t prostitution–May God wrest me from sanity.

*gets the shivers* Oh, how I loved it.

You should write, or, at least post more stuff like this.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:33 pm
Elephant wrote a review...

hmmm...I probably shouldn't be trying to decifer this at this hour, oh well.

I liked how you began this poem, it made me what to read more. Norway...hmm? that was my train of thought.

Darkness is daylight–At least

First, Darkness is daylight, I like the paradox, the primary opposites that you've presented here. Gives a sense of ethereality to it.

Second, At least
loneliness isn’t prostitution
- wow what a way to phrase this particular feeling. I really like how you phrased this.

Third, May God wrest me from sanity. - wrest, you word choice here produces quite an image.

Ciocia..., the following lines read like a story, which gives the poem motion, tourist's rounds gives another perception of 'him' that he is an outsider.

In Bergen..., I thought it was very interesting that you chose the works that you did, again the allusions and the knowledge that it brings adds to the auro of 'he' and the poem.

The ending I have to say was to me, perfect. What a way to end it. I have to say that I really enjoy your poetry, you use no superfluous words, in essense in the smallest space you get in there, say what you have to and get out, but leave the piece with imagery and feeling.

I hope I've made some sense here.
-El-

Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:35 pm
backgroundbob wrote a review...

I'm caught, slightly: while I don't precisely *like* how it reads, I damn well appriciate how intelligent it is.
I had to struggle to understand a lot of it, and even now I'm fairly sure I'm missing bits: but at the same time, having tried to write something like this, I can't fault it for depth and meaning. And love it or hate it, it's got style.

Undecided, but well done in either case: sometimes it's less about instinct, and more about thought. This poem was that for me.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:28 pm
Incandescence wrote a review...

I suppose I like puzzles.

Jigsaw Nachlass with S1, Bergen, & Skjolden and maybe you'll start seeing the tree through the leaves. Wittgenstein was important and this poem should be taken in three layers: brad's bio, stanley's bio, fiction.

And Brian, such lavish praise from you can only be taken as a corrective to all the previous criticaster crits written in shinola. :)

Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:38 pm
Brian wrote a review...

I read it once, hated it. Read it again, hated it more. Read it a third time, and well, hated it even more.

I honestly cannot stand stuff like this. You're trying to create something profound, but it sounds forced and pompous. Profoundness is spontaneous.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:30 am
Ieatworms wrote a review...

I read it once, and hated it. Read it again, and started to understand it. Read it again, and liked it.

I'd take out the exaggerated spacing. I was expecting the stanza's to be less related because of the breaks. So, I didn't even try to make the right connections until the second time around.

You know too much, Brad.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven - and very, very few persons.
— James Thurber