z

Young Writers Society



Remembrance Day Poem

by Eleanor Rigby


This poem was written by my friend Rachel, and I felt that it needed to be posted so that somewhere it could maybe make a difference. It's pretty simple and straight-forward, but it gets the point across. She wrote it in the spur of the moment while paying her respect during the two minutes of silence at 11:00. Although we claim to remember on Remembrance Day, I don't think it even comes close to the respect that our soldiers deserve.

Three-hundred-sixty-five days
and one goes out to you.
And out of it we take a minute to pay our respects.
The silence is deafening from the screams of those lost,
The room is filled with the weight of the dead.
We get it now, because you were our age,
ignorant and blind.
And now you are gone, lost in the bowels of history.
But if one person with a conscience, would make us understand;
Then there would be no risk of a reprise of what you have seen.
And even though we “remember” we don’t know your name
So you are forgotten, you have died in vain.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
122 Reviews


Points: 1115
Reviews: 122

Donate
Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:59 am
Brian wrote a review...



I very much like the intent of this poem as it has an appeal to both sides of the political spectrum. I always like to believe that a soldier never dies in vain, but that's just what I like to believe and I know it is not always true.

Just some minor things; the seventh line seemed redundant to me and unnecessary. Also, there needs to be a comma in the eleventh line to seperate the two clauses.





Plus, we offer technical support for your convenience.
— nasstands (likely a spambot, but a polite one, eh?)