Together - Part One

by Sophie

It was English Lit, never the most exciting lesson, but never the worst.

The note was on the orange paper of the questions sheet we were suppposed to be answering. In red ink, rocking handwriting that reminded me of spiderwebs, was scribbled If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterlies

She was always good at coming up with the right philosophical metaphors at the right times. I smiled, folded it gently and carefully hid it in my compact mirror, like a precious special secret all for me.

Thanks, I smiled to her, without words.

She winked in a cheesey fashion - (That's what I'm here for!)

The change wasn't just my parents splitting up, my dad leaving for South America a few days before. I respected my parent's decision, if they no longer loved each other, why should they stay together? It was my mum, she'd changed. She ignored Grace when she cried, she left the washing up in the sink, she didn't speak to anyone, she just hid in her room and worried me to death with whatever she was up to in there. Sadly I could see no butterflies in that. But it cheered me up all the same, even if only momentarily.

The bell went. She disappeared before I could stop her. My heart sank and I physically drooped. I let her down.

I walked out into the busy corridor, looked up and down it for the shocks of bright red in her dark hair. Nowhere. I walked aimlessly down other corridors, searching desperately. Eventually I gave up, my eyes glazing over and my thoughts wandering.

An old friend came over. "I'm so sorry about your parents!" she said, hugging me, squeezing my sore arm hard. "Was it just like rowing all the time? Or did your dad have an affair or something? Or was your mum too depressed for him to handle? Well it must've hit you hard 'cause you look awful! Cheer up!" And then she clapped me around the back in a jokey way, only she nearly winded me. I let her leave without saying a word.

Then the first person I bumped into as I turned the corner was Jack. We both stopped, about four inches between our noses. He looked at me, his ice blue laser eyes boring a hole in my head. He looked at my arms, the sleeves having been subconciously rolled up. Then he looked back to the brains spilling from the hole he made, disgusted, and walked away.

I let the breeze that followed in his wake play across my face as I pulled my pieces back together. The usual feeling of violence and anger boiled in my veins and I hovered to the nearest toilet, my mind on bad thoughts.

I locked myself in a cubicle and leaned against the wall, opening the front pocket of my bag. It wasn't there. I couldn't find it. But then something else fell out, my compact mirror. The bell went, but I stayed put. I re read the note, my mind went blissfully blank, just tracing the letters with my finger. Pretty letters. Sweet letters. Sweet Suzie.

Ten minutes must have passed as I stood, letting my mind swim everywhere but around certain islands. Suddenly I remembered I had a science class.

I rushed in late, mumbled an apology to the teacher and went to the spare seat at the back. On the way Suzie mouthed "You ok?" She passed a note back, red ink again, Come with me at lunch, we can talk.

At the end of the lesson she waited for me, we automatically headed up to our usual spot under this tree no one ever seemed to notice. Jack walked the other way, he gave me a look of pure evil. Suzie grabbed my wrist and squeezed, and dragged me to this side, giving him a wide berth. We got to the tree and she continued to hold my wrist, her eyes on mine warningly. She casted all demons from my mind.

A breeze swirled her black hair, making the red streaks seem like flames licking at a witch. She dropped the look and hugged me. She was great at that. Always warm. I always thought she was like a skeleton key, the way she fitted everone perfectly in hugs.

She knew what I went to do. She knew the thoughts that rained on my mush for a brain.

I knew what she disappeared to do. She knew I would've stopped her had I had the chance. It was the chewing gum that gave it away, and the speed at which she had left.

She was persistant in finding out if I did what I went to do. Finding out how much I'd done it recently. How fresh my arm was.

I was persistant in making her admit to what shed done. Making her tell me why she'd done it, how "under control" it really was.

We spent half an hour like this. I tried to make her eat some of my lunch but she refused. I felt like forcing it down her acid burnt throat.

Then she laughed as, with lack of anything else to do, I burst into song and rolled a leaf into a joint.

"God I love you Indie," she laughed.

I mulled over the irony for many hours.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:42 pm
Sophie says...

Ooh thank you, you've rekindled my want to write this story.

No, sorry it wasn't a sex scene... That doesn't come till later :wink: ..... But since you took that from it, I wonder if you missed something.

How obvious is what she went to do in the toilet cubicle? What she couldn't find before she found the note? What did Suzie go to do when she disappeared? What was Jack dsigusted at? And what were Suze and Indie talking about at lunch?

Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:41 am
Snoink wrote a review...

Ah... a story with some resemblence to a plot... what a relief.

The narrator:

The narrator is confused. Her life has just been turned upside down. Her dad's moving away from her, her mom seems apathetic towards everythin, and she feels very alone. When the old, nameless friend comes over, it highlights her anxiety even more. This "friend" if you can call her that, pretends that nothing has happened or changed, and treats the narrator as usual. But this just makes the narrator feel even more different and alone. Shouldn't she be the same? Has she changed that much?

Perhaps that's why she loves the note so much. This girl, Suzie, seems to respect the change and embrace it (literally).

Suzie:

You don't describe her enough! XD

No... really. She is one of the main characters. *whimpers* You must... describe...

Jack:

A little stereotypical, but it makes the narrator's plight that much more tragic. Even so, I would describe him more too.

The old friend:

Describe her more too...

Dang, I'm starting to sound like an old record.

So why am I being so mean and stuff by telling you describe the characters? Because I like to see the reactions between the characters. It highlights the narrator's life so well. Already, you hae a believable character, but if you only strengthened some of the other characters, you could really make this great! Besides, you might clarify some things up...

Oh dear... how do I say this?

Well... let's just say, during the lunch scene with Suzie, I, with my sick perverted mind, was wondering what the narrator and Suzie were doing... it was so vague that they could have been doing a lot of different things. And because they were embracing each other...

Yep... if you're going to make a sex scene, make one. If you're not, be slightly more clear. ;)

Anyway, so far I am liking it. Strengthen the interactions between the characters, and you'll have some gold on your hands.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:18 pm
Sophie says...

Thank you but - I AM NOT A NEW KID!!!!!!!!! I've been here nearly a YEAR longer than YOU!!! Why does no one notice that????

But cheers...

Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:38 am
backgroundbob wrote a review...

Nope - not at all: don't worry if people don't answer to stuff when you're first posting. When there's so much work around, people tend to miss things from new kids. Just hang around for a while, and people will begin to take a look at what you've written.

Couple of points:
- end of the first paragraph, "butterflies" is spelt wrong.
- near the end "casted" should be "cast."

Overall, I think this is good: it strikes me as a 'coming-of-age' story, one that has to be taken further if it's to really develop. The reader needs to learn more about Jack, for example, the relationship between the girls needs more space to work itself out, maybe bring in another romantic interest for a love triangle, that sort of thing.

It's well written, I think: a few spelling and grammar bits that needs sorting, but overall good use of language and good tone. Well done!

Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:15 am
Sophie says...

Is it really that awful?

I would be a terrible novel protagonist.
— mellifera