Scarlotte

by Sophie

I'm still in love with you. it's a simple thing to say… Well not really; but I’m sure all the pain and anger and pure frustration of the last year will give me strength enough to end it all. But I’m not sure that’s how I want to end it – confess to him something I’m not entirely sure about, make all strained conversation we have into awkward silences, make it impossible to look him in the eye, and make my actual existence a living hell when he tells his girlfriend and I become “Psycho-obsessed-Alex-stalker” all over again.

It would be the end of the rags that were once our friendship anyway – not even a pile of ash there to connect us. But at least it would be the end of the hurt, the longing, the arguments, the misleading flashes of friendship, the confusion, the memories… Or would it? Would it really fill the black, deep, unidentifiable hole in my chest? What if I told him and then decided it wasn’t true? That it was just sheer desperation to be his friend, and then any chance of that happening would be ruined.

So I guess I’d better not say it. And we’ll just stay as we are. With his arrogant refusal to let go, and my obsessive stubbornness to cling on.

So these are my teenage years? With nothing really mattering, but everything being a big deal? With him swarming my mind every 30 seconds? And a constant longing to be something I'm not, and do something I’ll never actually be bothered to do?

The candle that falls on my guitar nods in agreement, and the flame waves sweetly.

Five candles dotted around an incense smelling room, swaying in a breeze from an open window through which sing the crickets, a favourite and soothing song playing on the stereo, an empty stomach filled on wine, and a sense of immense numbness as a hand strokes a cold smooth wall. It’s one of those strange little moments of life. Like acoustic chords on your old guitar after a long, long day. Like crying not a tear as you say goodbye, then slumping to the ground and heaving with tears when you find yourself alone. The sweet belly full of fire as you rebel against all morality. Like loosing control with an eruption of violence after someone pushes you too far. Like lying on the grass next to someone, feeling the heat from their body not far away, watching the clouds turn to stars and reminiscing and explaining, feeling like you’re finally getting somewhere. Or the silent tear that falls with a shooting star as they walk away saying you’re getting nowhere. Like watching how the light falls on someone’s back as they lament something secret. Like noticing how blue someone’s eyes are as they say horrible things to you and make you feel like shit (even though you’re not listening, you’re just remembering how gentle they were when they drew on your arm. Like watching them together and wondering what the hell he sees in her, and what the hell makes her think she loves him. Like the strange, body-sighing feeling given by a blade swiping through you’re skin.

Tears seep from the sides of my ceiling facing eyes and slide down the sides of my face. I’m pathetic. I'm wretched. And I seriously need to sort myself the fuck out.

A familiar, beautiful and ironic song comes on and I turn towards the cold wall, the tears on my face dribbling onto my neck.

Get a life Charlotte. Get a fucking life.

This is the ending to a story, it makes a lot more sense once you've read the whole thing (not that Ive written the whole thing quite yet). I thought it was about time I put something up other than crappy poems, and I was hoping people could help me improve this, it's not exactly great is it?[/pre]

Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:27 pm
Acid_Fairy wrote a review...

it's not awful at all, it was really good! i really liked this bit- it's so true to what teenagers feel like!

Sophie wrote:So these are my teenage years? With nothing really mattering, but everything being a big deal? With him swarming my mind every 30 seconds? And a constant longing to be something I'm not, and do something I’ll never actually be bothered to do?

i thought it was a great ending so im sure the rest if just as great! lol really good job!

Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:02 pm
Sophie says...

Thank you!!

Anyone else have any help?

Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:44 pm
ikklebeastie wrote a review...

Hi Sophie,
I'm new here, but I read your piece and thought I'd tell you what I think. I'm no expert, so don't take this as gospel :wink:

I loved the first paragraph - I really felt like I was inside the character. You described her thought processes brilliantly, without being too informal or labouring any of the points :)
The second paragraph completely lost my attention though, sorry :( All those 'likes'! It felt like poetry more than prose, I don't think that your character would really think those things so explicitly, and (for me, not necessarily for everyone) it killed the momentum.
I really like the imagery in the second paragraph though, if it was a poem it would be wonderful, but for telling a story I think that you need to focus more on the motivation-reaction sequences of the character and keep the story moving along. Saying that, the ending of that paragraph is really good - it's got a nice punch, is realistic and I think that it's something that everyone can identify with - crying to an old song. :)

I have to say, I'm intrigued to read the whole story now :D Please make sure you write it all! (I know how easy it is to get side-tracked/give up/get disheartened).
You have the talent to capture the reader, that's obvious, I just think that with this piece you need to think about your structure and the type of prose you want :D Hope that's helpful, x[/i]

Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:07 pm
Sophie says...

Now this I KNOW is awfull... Someone help me

We know what a person thinks not when he tells us what he thinks, but by his actions.
— Isaac Bashevis Singer