z

Young Writers Society



The Human Side of Things

by Rei


A/N This is a expansion of Little Girl/Not a Little Girl

The Moment the pixies saw the little girl sitting at the edge of the school yard, huddled,, shaking and crying, they knew what she was. All the signs were there. her name was Ciara, and she was the tinest little thing in the yard. Her eyes were a funny shade of blue, almost purple. Not the normal sort of eye colour one would expact to see on the human side of things. But then again, this little girl was not a notmal human. She had a little bit of pixie blood in her.

"What do you think?" asked one of the pixies, hading behind a tree. "Should we show ourselves to her?"

"Oh yes," replied pixie number two. "It could only do good to reveal ourselves to her. Look at her. She is certainly one of us. Have you ever seen such a tiny girl on the human side of things unless she had something wrong with her bones?"

Oh, non, of course not. And she;s certainly shaped like a proper human. Those all-human little people are usually shaped funny."

"So it's settled, then? We shall go to her?"

"Yes, yes, I'm afraid we must. Did you see how cruel the other children are to her? today one of them threw a paper ball at her! If I didn't know better, I'd say they know what she is."

"You're right. She needs us."

* * *

I had been at my new school for about a month when the pixies came to me to show me that there was more to the world than the human side of things. Not that I knew to call it that back then. I was only six years old. At such a young age, I already knew I was different, though. You would think that after being in the school for a month, I's have made some friends. Not me. When I moved to my new school I became the target. Every school must have one. It's th kid that nobody likes, and just about everyone has a turn teasing. The big schools must have one in every grade, I suppose, especially the high schools. But I was too small to know much about that. ALl I knew was that I had no friends, and that I din't belong.

Then came the day the pixie showe dthemselves to me. I was sitting under my favourite tree, Joseph. I don't knwo why I called him that. I just thought that he needed a name. It was like he was alive, like there was something in him besides wood. If I couldn't have human friends, he would be my friend, so he needed a name.

"Are you sad because youre all alone?" called a tinkling voice.

I sat there, awestruck. Barbies, was my first thought. These things were about the size of Barbies, maybe a bit smaller, and had bodies sort of like Barbies. But Barbies did not wear gossamer dresses of flowers and leaves, nor did they have shimmering little wings. Their wings were so small that any expert of flying wouls say that they shouldn't be able to fly, but they did.

"We saw what the other children do, so you can come play with us," said the leafy, Barbie-like creature. "You have pixie blood, so you belong with us."

Pixie blood? What was the Barbie talking about? No, not a Barbie, a pixie. i'd never neard of a pixie before. i'd heard of fairies, though, and these creatres did looke like the pictures of fairies that I'd seen.

As U watched the pixies dancing on one of Joseph's branches, they said something I'll never forget. "It's only forever."

Forever means nothing to a child, so of course I agreed to go with them. because on the human side of things, I was only good for one thing, and I knew I did not want to be the target anymore.

"It'l just be for a little while," said Flowery Pixie. I know it doesn't make much sence, but that's the way the pixies work. I guess they said that because they didn't want me to think that I would be giving up something, that I would be able to go back to the human side of things whenever I wanted to if things got better.

Bt things didn't get better. Not for a long time. I began to believe that it never would. At the time, I was so young, and it hurt so much to be where I was. And how could I resist what they offered me?

"We can visit Avalon, and the Realm of Faeire."

"Let's not forget Narnia and Middle Earth. Humans think those places were made up by stuffy, old English men, but it was really us pixies whispering in their ears."

SO I went with them, and suddenly I was in a place where I thought I belonged. I wasn't the target who didn't know how to talk to other kids. I was the only kid there, anyway. And the only things thrrown at me were thrown in fun. At such a young age, I thought it was the best thing in the world that could ever have happened to me. I spent as little time as possible on the human side of things.

Were there times when I regretted going with the pixies? Not at all. But those few times I did go to the human side of things, I began to wonder why I wasn;t there more often. There was just something about being with the pixies that felt uncomfortable.

"Pixie," I said one day as we clmbed the Misty Mountain. "Why did I come here?"

"Isn't the view enough?"

"Oh, certainly, it is beautiful, but that's not what I mean."

"then whatever do you mean?" she asked, so innocent and ignorant, but also all-knowing.

"This world. This side of life."

She didn't answer, just changed the subject. An eagle was flying by, and she insisted that we watch it. But on the way down the Mountain, she said, "No one can blame you for leaving the huamn side of things."

That's right. That's why I left. It was because of all the horrible things the kids did to me. the teasing. the rejection. The isolation. That made it okat. None of those things exisited in Middle earth, so how could I not go there? There are hundreds of other kids out there who suffered the way I did, and it never made any sence to me why none of them joined me. What is there for us in a world where al we get is ridicule, insults, and are forced to be alone. But I'm the one with the pixie blood, right? And the pixies came to me. And because they came to me, I know I couldn't just sit there and watch the other kids play with their friends while I was alone.

So I danced in the Faery Cirles, learned how to control the weather in Avalon, met Aslan in Narnia, and had Second Breakfast with Hobbits of the Shire. I saw all those wonderful places that normal humans only ever see in books and movies, and even some places that aren't even seen there.

But something inside me told me that I had to go back.

"No, you can't go!" Flowery Pixie protested.

"I want to see what things are like on the human side of things," I told her.

Leafy Pixie was a little more in control of herself. "If you stay with us you might get to meet a unicorn."

That did it. I stayed. I mean, who wouldn't want to meet a unicorn. Unicorns are the most magical creatures in all the places I have ever been. But when I was thirteen, I still hadn't even caught a glimps of one.

"You promised me a unicorn, Pixie," I said to Leafy Pixie one day as we sailed on the Dawn Treader. "Why haven't I seen one yet?"

"Oh, you haven't?" She sounded Surprized, but I knew she wasn't. "They only show themselve to certain beings, I suppose. Maybe you're just not ready yet."

"But I've been here for seven years!" I wanted to shout, but held my tonge. Instead, I asked, "So one will come when I'm ready?"

The pixie shrugged, her eyes filled with feigned innocence, and fluttered away. It left me feeling confused and conflicted. There was nothing I could do about it, though. Pixies are not exactly known for giving direct answers, and I wanted to meet a unicorn so badly. There's nothing that great on the human side of things, I told myself.

And then something happened. Something I didn't expect. I started high school. Sure, it's the normal thing for children to do, but what did I do that was normal? High school was different, though. It was nothing like the other schools I had gone to. It was bigger, and had more people. Different people. High school offered me a thousand and one new things to learn and do on the human side of things. This place would have to have humans who would let me be with them, who wouldn't mind having me around. Things would change. They would get better, easier.

"I want to go back to stay," I told the pixies.

But the pixies didn't give up that easily. "Life can be easy, but it's not always so easy for children like you. Don't tell us that the hurt will go away, 'cause it's gonna hurt a lot more if you go back to stay."

I didn't want to believe them, so I went back to try it out. High school didn't make my life any easier. And the hurt, it never really went away. I still siffered in all the same ways. The teasing. The rejection. The isolation. But even worse than that was the feeling that I couldn't do anything right. I had lost touch with what was expected on the human side of things. Maybe there is something that hurts worse than feeling alone and useless, but nothing I've ever come in contact with. What I thought to be the truth of the human side of things, it felt like the worst thing in the world. It's not that I didn't find human friends. I did. But it never felt right. They weren't the true friends that I wanted.

So I went back to the pixies. "i'm sorry, "I said. "You were right about everything.

And they were all too eagar to take me back. "Maybe in Faeire you'll find someone true," Flowery Pixie said.

She sounded so confident that I just had to believe her, but it was probably the most ironic thing the pixies ever told me. When I went to Faerie, everything was just as false. Maybe even more false than the humans were. The lies were nice, and they made me feel a whole lot better. But they were still lies, and it wasn't right. Not even for a pixie girl like me.

"I've got to go back. None of this is real!"

"But it's no quiet and beautiful here. There isn't any of that loud music you hate so much. Or cars, or phones, or planes. And look at the moon. Doesn't it look like a crystal? There's no lie in there."

I couldn't agree more with that. It was the most wonderful place for a lonely girl to be. The moon was probably the most beautiful thing there, and it was made of crystal. It wasn't the sort of crystal we think of on the human side of things, though. Maybe there were no lies in that moon, but it scattared bits of reality the way a normal crystal scattars beams of light.

"I don't care anymore. I don't care if it is true. I'm more human than pixie, and you know it. This isn't the way it's supposed to be for humans."

"But you can't go back! Remember the teasing? The rejection? The isolation?"

"I know it's gonna hurt, but that's all a part of being human."

"It's only forever."

"Not gonna work this time. I'm not a little girl anymore."

Not a little girl anymore . . . That's right. We all knew it, but none of us liked it. I didn't belong with them anymore than they belonged in a chemestry class. Leaving was the right thing to do.

Maybe, when I get a bit older, I'll go back. I'll dance in a Faery Circle, learn how to control the weather in Avalon, meet Aslan in Narnia, and have Second Breakfast with Hobbits of the Shire. Right now, though, I've got things to do on the human side of things. I've got books to read, classes to take, places to see, and jobs to do. Grown-up stuff.

It's a strange thing, really, calling the pixie girl a grown-up. I still look like a kid, giggle like, and I love children's books. But a grown-up is what I am now, and there are certain things that grown-ups do.

Even so, no matter what happens, I am going to met that unicorn for real one day.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
415 Reviews


Points: 31520
Reviews: 415

Donate
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:07 am
keystrings wrote a review...



Hello there.

Popping in to give you a much-deserved review, even if it's landing rather late.

First off, I guess pixie/fairy stories all have the same roots since there are plenty of novels that have a similar plot to this one. I think what hurts this story from growing on the reader is the narration aspect. The opening of the pixies talking isn't the greatest way of opening a story, especially with it sounding like a laundry list: feeling different, weird eye color, tiny stature. Also, on that note, if she's six, how small is "small"? That almost made me think of like Thumbelina, and I don't think you mean she's that tiny. At least I hope not.

Continuing on, I would much rather read this as a novel, instead of a short story, since this reads as straight up exposition. It's rather close to a summary of the plot in my opinion, and I guess that's okay as an outline, but not really a posted work. There are quite a few parts that you could expand on, even with the introduction of Ciara being bullied. I wonder why she would be bullied by only six-year-olds? Where are her parents anyway? Did her family move her to a different school some time ago?

Again, shouldn't there be someone worried about her? How does she just come back to the other world and go to human school again? I think those sections are examples of opportunities to just let this grow and expand your story. In addition, I think that even when the character seems to age, the diction is still a little juvenile. I also thought we'd be able to see what having pixie blood does, or maybe how she is changed, besides physically.

Overall, I think that you have a decent idea here, cliched bits laid aside. However, its current form does not read as a story and jumps from one scene to another without much explanation or details that would help a lot.

That's all I've got for now.




User avatar
685 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 685

Donate
Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:47 pm
Rei says...



I don't think anyone could have chosen a more insulting word to describe this than "cute."




User avatar
563 Reviews


Points: 13816
Reviews: 563

Donate
Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:52 am
Writersdomain says...



This was really cute and good. You really made the pixies come to life... Yes, I think you should make it longer.




User avatar
685 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 685

Donate
Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:20 pm
Rei says...



I was thinking of posting a longer version of this story. Just wanted to know if anyone would be interested in reading it.




User avatar
221 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 221

Donate
Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:23 am
Elelel wrote a review...



Yes, there are some typos there, nothing that's too hard to fix.
I was wondering, is this part of a story? I'm not sure I read the first bit (or if I did it was a while ago and I don't remember) but I don't see how it could link to anything set after this ... maybe it's just me.
Well, I must say I really like the idea. I was a girl like that, still am, but at least not quite as bad as before, so I can relate to how much someone would want to leave the human world. But somethings don't quite seem ... realistic to me. Like the pixies, you didn't give them names, and if she had been staying that long there she would certainly know names. Also, the pixies seem ... like you didn't know them properly yourself when you wrote it (I have made the same mistake myself). And they seemed very conventionally pixie-happy-bunny like (unless they're supposed to be that way). Also, you keep using the same words to describe her experiences in the human world. (isolation, rejection etc) It feels like you're saying the same thing over and over, I'm sure if you changed those words to others that meant the same it'd be fine.
And purple eyes ... ok, very nit picky, but purple eyes are way too common. I've seen them in two different books so far, so if you want something more out of the ordinary try a different colour.
Otherwise I enjoyed this alot -- I think that I can spot big fat metaphors (not sure if that word fits best) if I look at it from my own expiriences.




User avatar
172 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 172

Donate
Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:19 am
Shadow Knight says...



Ok, you have made some typo's here and there. It's an interesting story, it needs a bit of editing, but like i told you before, i'm not much of an editor.




User avatar
685 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 685

Donate
Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:29 pm
Rei says...



Comments please. :cry:




User avatar
172 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 172

Donate
Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:52 pm
Shadow Knight says...



Wow you made lot's of improvments since i last read this.





This looks like a really bad episode of Green Acres.
— David Letterman