Circus Dream

by AkiraEliza

I hid my petals deap inside my hat

Buried it six feet in the ground

May the seeds never reach the show lights

Keep it hidden, keep it safe and sound

The new clowns never knew, each flower on their mask

Counted for someone I loved and lost

They never cared, never knew of their task

Drown the blossoms voice, drown it all day long…

~

It’s on with the show, and I’m all alone

No where to go, no place to call home

I built this circus from the ground

To keep my Circus Dream safe and sound

Buried alive by the things that they’ve said

I wouldn’t be surprised if it remained dead

This dream of mine, it included you

But then all my old clowns quit, you did too

I had a Circus Dream, and you never knew

~

I’m not looking for an audiance

Maybe an old clown somewhere in the crowd

They keep coming in to see the show

But everyone keeps asking for the Jester I used to have

I told them he cut my strings and left me buried

How he ran off to join another show

Baffled, they come to join the other clowns

Until they realize the jester didn’t leave for no reason at all

~

No where to go, no place to call home

I built this circus from the ground

To keep my Circus Dream safe and sound

This dream of mine, it included you

~

I can replace the clowns, but I can’t replace you

The flowers keep growing, keep getting thrown askew

Discarded, smashed, and no one else knew

It was my secret, the hell you put me through

Just because the masks break and flowers wither, don’t make em go away

~

No where to go, no place to call home

I built this circus from the ground

To keep my Circus Dream safe and sound

I wouldnt be surprised if it remained dead

This dream of mine, it included you

Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the spooky S’more?

Top Graham Cracker - The narrator talks of a dream she had with her Jester, a fantasy that they would be together forever, and still hopes for that dream somewhere, even though the Jester left her long ago.

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - I think that you meant to say “deep” for one part, but that’s just one little thing.

Chocolate Bar - I love how the narrator still seems to miss the Jester in some way. How she had a whole “Circus Dream” that she wanted to share with him, but then it all plummeted away, and though her new circus stands tall and proud, it’s still nothing compared to the one she had with her Jester, and that sadness hangs forever.

Closing Graham Cracker - Her Circus Dream has come to fruition, but it may not last long. It may wither to the ground, just as the flowers did long ago. How long she can keep her circus is the question.

I wish you a lovely day/night! :>

ZayZayAG wrote a review...

Title: Unveiling the Heartache Behind "Circus Dreams"

"Circus Dreams" is a deeply poignant poem that delves into the bittersweet realm of dreams, loss, and resilience. Through vivid imagery and emotive language, the poet invites readers into a world where the magic of the circus serves as a backdrop for the protagonist's internal struggle.

The poem opens with a poignant metaphor, as the protagonist hides their petals deep within a hat, burying them away from the harsh glare of the show lights. This imagery sets the stage for a narrative of secrecy and longing, as the protagonist grapples with the pain of lost love and unfulfilled dreams.

Central to the poem is the theme of isolation and loneliness. The protagonist, surrounded by the spectacle of the circus, feels a profound sense of emptiness and abandonment. The repeated refrain, "I’m all alone, No where to go, no place to call home," underscores the protagonist's longing for connection and belonging in a world that feels increasingly distant and alien.

The imagery of the circus serves as a powerful metaphor for the protagonist's inner turmoil. The circus, with its colorful masks and fleeting performances, symbolizes the transient nature of life and the ephemeral quality of dreams. Yet, amidst the chaos and uncertainty, there is a sense of determination and resilience, as the protagonist strives to keep their "Circus Dream safe and sound."

The poem also explores the theme of betrayal and disillusionment. The protagonist's former lover, represented by the absent jester, is portrayed as a source of pain and betrayal. Their departure leaves the protagonist feeling abandoned and betrayed, struggling to reconcile their shattered dreams with the harsh reality of abandonment.

In conclusion, "Circus Dreams" is a haunting exploration of loss, longing, and resilience. Through its evocative imagery and poignant narrative, the poem captures the essence of human emotion and the enduring power of hope in the face of adversity. It is a testament to the transformative power of poetry to illuminate the depths of the human experience and offer solace in moments of despair.

Forever is composed of nows.
— Emily Dickenson