World War 3.

by SKZ4ever

The earth trembled as bombs rained down from the darkened sky. Explosions echoed across the barren wasteland. Smoke billowed up, with the cries of the wounded and dying. Bodies lay scattered like discarded toys, their lifeless eyes staring up at the heavens.

It all started when Russia invaded Ukraine for the country’s food and oil supply, then Ukraine teamed up with Romania, Poland, and Belarus but Belarus surrendered to Russia. Then the rest of Asia got involved and it escalated from there.

Not a single tree stood tall in this distraught landscape, their absence was a haunting reminder of what had been lost all because of World War 3. Within the chaos, a lone figure stumbled through the devastation. Their worn-out breaths echoed in the stark landscape, the lack of trees making each inhale a struggle. He glanced around, eyes wide with horror at the destruction by the ongoing World War.

"Stay strong," they whispered to themselves, a shaky hand reaching for a fallen comrade. A muffled groan escaped the injured soldier as they tried to sit up, blood staining their torn uniform.

"Help me," the soldier managed to gasp out, their voice barely a whisper above the cacophony of war. The figure gritted their teeth, determination flashing in their eyes.

With a grunt, they closed their eyes, air barely escaped their mouth, and stopped breathing.

The other soldier let some tears shed as he hugged his lifeless friend, stood up, and trudged away dragging his injured left leg on the floor.

As the world plunged into darkness, a thunderous rumble sent shockwaves through the Earth. The once-shattered landscape was bathed in an intense white light, blinding in its brilliance. It felt like the sound of a big bang, echoing through the vast expanse of space.

In that moment of ultimate chaos, amidst the screams and moans of a world in disturbance, a lone figure emerged. The same figure with the injured leg. They stood in the middle of the cataclysmic event, arms outstretched as if trying to contain the complicated power surging around them.

And then, as suddenly as it had begun, it was over. The light faded, leaving behind a world reborn. The scars of the war were erased, replaced by fields of blooming flowers and clear skies with birds flapping their wings gracefully. A soft hum filled the air as the figure lowered his arms, the weight of the world lifting from their shoulders. Laughter bubbled up from his chest, pure and joyful, a testament to the peace restored.

In the after-effects of the Big Bang, as the echoes of destruction faded into memory, the figure stood with a crowd, a silent guardian of a world that had found its way back to harmony.

At that moment, he knew that this world is more than we think: it’s precious and fragile and can break at any moment at any time. Don’t be foolish, recognise that we have one world and we can’t have a second chance to fix the destruction. 

Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:31 pm
angelinamar wrote a review...

Embracing the destruction. Tears streamed down their face as they cried out in agony, for the lives lost, the world destroyed, the future obliterated. They fell to their knees, the ground shaking beneath them. And in that moment, they felt the weight of their actions, of their choices, and the consequences it brought. As the chaos subsided and the world burned around them, the figure took a deep breath and stood up. They looked around at the devastation, a sense of grief and guilt weighing heavily on their shoulders. And with heavy steps, they walked away, leaving behind a world torn apart by war. It is a powerful story, one that reflects the harsh reality of war and its devastating impact on human lives. The vivid description of the destruction and chaos engulfs the reader, making it almost feel like they are right there in the midst of it all. The use of first-person perspective adds a personal touch to the story, making it even more poignant as we feel the emotions and thoughts of the lone figure navigating through the war-torn landscape. The inclusion of various countries and their involvement in the war also highlights the destructive nature of war, how it can quickly escalate and involve multiple nations. It serves as a reminder of the consequences of political conflicts and how it ultimately affects innocent lives. The story also touches upon themes of guilt and regret, as the figure is haunted by their actions and the consequences it has brought upon the world. It showcases the human side of war, the toll it takes on the soldiers and their mental state. Overall, 'The Earth Trembled' is a gripping and powerful story that paints a bleak but important picture of the destructive nature of war. It serves as a reminder of the value of peace and the consequences of choosing violence and conflict. It is a thought-provoking and emotional read that leaves a lasting impact on the reader.

SKZ4ever says...

Thank you for this. It means a lot to me.

First Impression: This was quite a powerful little tale here. Given the title it was already set to be quite the tale, but you managed to still exceed that expectation with the raw energy on display here and that lovely ending.

Well this is quite the intro right here. I'm already loving the vibe that you've built up. Just the idea of complete and utter destruction, leaving nothing but just barren wasteland and lots of death in its wake. Its a very powerful start, really pulling us into this story nice and quickly.

Oooh well this is an unexpected little moment. Given the sheer desolation that we started with, I wasn't expecting there to be any actual life present during the story but it seems we do have a few survivors here at the moment. Let's see how this one pans out.

Oooh this very nicely done here. Instead of just having the massive field of dead that we have no full connection to, showing us a survivor trying to save a friend only for that friend to then perish in front of us is a very powerful little move here to just absolute cement how hopeless and horrible this situation happens to be.

Oooh well this is quite the spectacle here. It feels like some sort of end, this massive final attack to end it all but at the same time the way this person stands there is quite interesting. There seems to be something a little more to this massive light than simply a big explosion sent here to end it all.

Well this is quite the ending. I wasn't exactly expecting us to get a bit of a the world is rest ending but its oddly fitting. After all once you've reached the level of destruction and desolation that is on display in this particular piece, there really isn't that much further left to go but back to prosperity. I think its a well chosen ending especially in something like a short story, just a reset where in the end it seems this figure who represents humanity understands that the Earth is not to be played with in this manner.

Overall: Overall a powerful little tale that leaves us with much to think about and much to work with. I think all round a wonderful piece. It comes together quite nicely with that very powerful intro all leading to that lovely message at the end.

Kate

SKZ4ever says...

Thank you. Enjoyed reading your review.

Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:34 am
22Midnight wrote a review...

Hi names 22Midnight
hope your doing well, let's get into it!

Oof i can only imagine what this must be like being in the middle of all of it, i'd be scared for life

I like how this explanation is quick and not dawn out but well done it made it very easy to follow

there it is the mystery person who will either die or live to the tell the tale and face trauma then drag himself to therapy brilliant :shock:

his obviously a very brave warrior to keep going then to even watch is comrade as he suffers through his own pain

don't ask me for help i can't help you, this made me want to dive into the screen to help him!

HE DIED NO WHY!! his got to have a friend with him so they can live together two's always better then one

wow it's blinding i can't see i can't hear XD over dramatic

yeah and here it comes the power that will defeat all the enemies it'll reach the news and the man will be well known even if he dies

and he makes flowers grow and calls birds that's amazing were did he come from xd seriously now this was a great way to skip time where everything is make to normal and even better then it ever was.

such a wonderful message at the end there, one thing i'll point out for this last line recognise should be spelt with a z instead of and s recognize

i think this was done very well and deserves another like

anyway that's it from me

hope you have a great dawn/dusk/midnight

See Ya

SKZ4ever says...

Thank you. Most of your messages made me laugh.

Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:45 am
Tambo says...

Hello, here to review.

This piece was great. I truly enjoyed reading it. I would give it a 9.5/10. Jk, 10/10.
I hope to see more cool work in the future.

Have a good night/day.

Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:02 am
SKZ4ever says...

If you are reading this comment, thank you for reading my story I appreciate it.

The poetry of the earth is never dead.
— John Keats