z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence Mature Content

The adventures of Poppy Verosisca-Nine

by vampricone6783


*Part Nine of my “Poppy” series. How to pronounce her last name: VER-OH-SIS-CA. If you have been reading this series, then congratulations! You’re almost done. After this part will be the last part and then I’ll post origin stories of the characters. Gacha Club character designs are on my wall. Enjoy!*



It’s been nothing but hills for us. I know that home is somewhere around here, but it feels like we’ll never get there.

We haven’t spoken much, either. The four of us have been walking on, down the path.

“Why is Henry here?” I ask Ash. He told me that Henry “needed his help” but why would that require him joining us?

“Because I have nowhere else to go, okay?” Henry snaps. His voice is raspy, like he hasn’t drunk anything in years.

I know what it’s like to be alone. To be against the world. I mean, this whole thing started when I ran away from home.

Jessica’s eyes stare far off into the distance. They’re glassy and wide. Her mouth moves slowly, as if she’s talking, but I don’t hear any words from her mouth.

“Jessica? Jessica?” I ask.

She doesn’t respond.

I turn to Ash, to check on him.

He’s whispering to Henry, clasping his hand. I still don’t know much about Henry and it bothers me. Shouldn’t Ash tell me who he is?

Matter of fact, I don’t know much about my siblings. Before I left, Jessica was on the phone with Levi and Ash was pretending his nachos were battleships. We were peaceful. We were happy.

I think back to Damien’s family, all monsters, all with a strong, decaying feeling of sorrow lingering in the air.

What if that’s us?

No, I can’t let that be us. We have to keep going.

We have to stop Chloe.

……………………………………………………

We’re not in the forest anymore. We’re on the outskirts, next to the highway. There’s a sign next to us that says “Welcome to Cord Arboretum”. Underneath the sign is…is…Ashley?

I run over to Ashley. Jessica continues muttering to herself, while Ash still whispers to Henry.

I can run faster than humans. Any supernatural being can. I’ve made it to her in only five minutes. I can see her face…

She’s doing the same thing as Jessica.

“Ashley? Ashley? Ashley?!” My voice gets a bit higher as I call out her name. No reaction.

I wave my hand in front of her face. Still, no reaction.

“Ashley, please. Answer me. An-“

“What?” Ashley snaps, just like Henry did earlier.

My heart sinks into my stomach. My best friend just snapped at me, when all I did was worry about her. She’s never done that before.

Ashley’s face softens.

“I’m sorry, Poppy. You didn’t know. I was talking to my family.” She says.

“Your…family? But you don’t have a family.”

“I do. They’re dead. They’re ghosts.” Ashley says.

“So that’s what it is? Talking to ghosts?”

“Yes, that’s what it is. Talking to ghosts.”

That’s what Jessica is doing. Talking to ghosts.

“Why are you here, Poppy? What’s wrong?”

“I’m trying to get home. Jessica told me that Chloe is after my family.”

“Come on. The Jeep is somewhere around here.” Ashley says, gesturing me to follow her.

I turn around. Jessica has stopped talking to the ghosts and Ash has stopped talking to Henry.

“We have to go. Ashley is waiting.” I say.

I face Ashley.

“Is that Ash and Jessica? They look so much older.”

“Yes, that’s them.”

I still don’t know why Ashley is out here.

“Who is that boy?”

“He’s Henry. I don’t know why he’s here. Ash brought him over.”

The three of them have joined us. Ashley smiles and begins walking.

We follow her into the forest.

Why was Ashley out here?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
39 Reviews


Points: 2137
Reviews: 39

Donate
Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:49 am
View Likes
SkyVibes wrote a review...



heya! Mercedes Blue here to read and review!

Sorry for jumping off the grid for a moment there. But I am back to continue reading!
Based on the disclaimer I'm guessing that maybe I should start reading about Poppy somewhere else, but I really want to read this one so....is it a mistake? Yeah probably. But do I like your writing? Oh heck yeah, so it's worth it lol.

Anyways.

So by the way it's described so far it they definitely have been traveling for a good while based on how the characters are besides the fact that it is said it seems to have taken them forever. Are they walking?

So I am a little confused about Jessica. I'm guessing they are walking but if they are did they just leave Jessica?

Ooh so can bother Ashley and Jessica can speak to ghosts?

Yeah okay, maybe I should have read the story of Poppy before reading this lol XD. I'll have to go back and read the stories before this one.

There's definitely a mystery here and I can't wait to figure out more about it!




User avatar
198 Reviews


Points: 14218
Reviews: 198

Donate
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:46 am
View Likes
AkuRashomon wrote a review...



Hello there! Haven't reviewed/commented on this series in a while. But all I know is that very chapter gets more intense. Remember me? This is Ina aka loveissourgrapes. Good to share something to you again.

To me, as a 13 year old girl, it is not that scary but it can get a little intense. You are very good at writing intense 12 rated stories/novels but if they are 18+, it can get more scary. Also, it is good that you know how to write a good dialogue like the characters are really talking to each other. It is good to have your lines/paragraphs separated because some writers don't, like me. I don't know what's the problem with the site but my lines, paragraphs or stanzas can't separate from each other. Anyways, that's my problem.

Overall, it is good. I want to know more on what's gonna happen next until this series finishes. Have a good day/night!

Keep on writing!





Pigeon poop is the best way to solve problems.
— Pompadour