z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Eyes

by Fishr


Dear Sir Ian,

I have a little bit of upbringing with theatre plays and such. My parents and sister majored in the theatre arts while attending college. So, it’s always been there, appreciating the arts.

When I watch Mr. McKellen on stage or in film, it appears your eyes tell a different story. They say a person can wear an invisible mask to perfection, but the eyes always reveal honest emotion, usually regrets about a past. Loneliness is a burden too, which is where the performing arts allow escapism.

It’s not your fault. It’s not your fault you could not tell your mom and dad about your true self. Guilt is a terrible weight to carry. It’s not your fault you were born the way you are. It’s hard to understand a past when so much is a blur and painful. It’s not your fault you were born into a generation when male homosexuality warranted a prison sentence. Hate is ignorance taught. It's not your fault for suppressing emotion. It is easier than letting grief take hold and cry.

As for my part, when I was a child, I watched domestic violence. I speak freely about it as much as memories will allow.

Time stands too quietly, and when we least expect it, time runs out.

Time for a drink. -winks- Now, go get into some mischief.

Take care, love,



Love Is Love https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=154986


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
59 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 59

Donate
Stickied -- Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:10 pm
View Likes
TheCornDogEnthusiast wrote a review...



Hello!
This letter appears to be a personal message addressed to Sir Ian McKellen, praising his work in theatre and film and expressing empathy and understanding for the struggles he may have faced due to his sexuality. The writer also shares a personal experience of witnessing domestic violence in their childhood and acknowledges the importance of expressing emotions rather than suppressing them.

The tone of the letter is informal and friendly, with a touch of humor at the end. The language used is clear and easy to understand, and the writer shows sensitivity and compassion towards the struggles faced by Sir Ian and themselves.

Overall, the letter is well-written and conveys a heartfelt message of support and understanding.




Fishr says...


Hey there! You nailed it! Your message was the overall purpose of composing and mailing both letters. I guess I could have combined them into one piece but the two and different messages. So, %uD83E%uDD37%uD83C%uDFFB%u200D%u2642%uFE0F.

Thank you for reviewing!



User avatar
1260 Reviews


Points: 1630
Reviews: 1260

Donate
Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:20 am
View Likes
Elinor wrote a review...



Hi Fishr!

Elinor here to drop you a quick review on this letter. I did check out Love is Love quickly. Since that evidently was a real letter you sent to Ian McKellen, I wasn't sure if this one was fictionalized or not, since you have this listed in narrative short stories. It was a little bit unclear. I'm also unsure as to your reasoning for blanking out the names.

Dear —,

I have a little bit of upbringing with theatre plays and such.


This first sentence feels a little bit clunky, or incomplete. After "I have a little bit of an upbringing with theater. I've done plays... maybe say, as an actor behind the scenes, etc.

When I watch Mr. — on stage or in film, it appears your eyes tell a different story.


The first part is again where the blanking out the names gets confusing. I can't tell if you're referring to the character this actor is known for or the actor themselves.

It’s not your fault. It’s not your fault you could not tell your mom and dad about your true self. Guilt is a terrible weight to carry. It’s not your fault you were born the way you are. It’s hard to understand a past when so much is a blur and painful. It’s not your fault you were born into a generation when male homosexuality warranted a prison sentence. Hate is ignorance taught. It's not your fault for suppressing emotion. It is easier than letting grief take hold and cry.


Is this also about Ian McKellen, or about someone else? I don't really know that much about his life, but I would say that he has done alright for himself all things considered. I only know him as one of the greatest actors of our time. I think this would be an interesting story if you dove into what it took for him to get there. Of course, he isn't the only actor who had to hide their sexuality. In the Golden Age, Montgomery Clift and Burt Lancaster come to mind immediately. If you really wanted to dive into this, you could create a fictional parallel of McKellen - a young actor who has these hurdles to face to succeed. I'd read it.

You also tie this back to domestic violence, and I wasn't sure if I saw the connection. Anyway, those are my thoughts. I hope you have a great night!

Happy writing!

Best,
Elinor




Fishr says...


Hey El! Long time no see? Appreciate the feedback and critique. I will be sure to keep your suggestions in mind the next time I get a brainstorm and mail letters again. Lol! Thank you again! :)




We do have funerals for the living. They're called birthday parties.
— Jill Biden (fictitiously), Hope Never Dies