who will i become when your dahlias and jackspurs die a pitiful droop

by LadyBug

Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:45 pm

The narrator of the poem seems to think of this other person as though they were apart of their past, but that it would be alright if they let go. Like they’re ready to move on. Or maybe they want to be ready but aren’t quite ready at the very moment yet. I liked reading this poem. I liked the mention of flowers, flowers are lovely.

I wish you a wonderful day/night.

Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:36 am
MissSaigon wrote a review...

The mysterious start leaves the reader many questions. The reader questions what happened to the lyrical-me, who left them, what happened to the person they address. It creates a nice symphony of conspiracy and hypothesis. Conspiracy of the loss and of a potential break up or death of the partner that then turns into hypothesis, hypothesis letting the readers mind run off and giving the reader questions to think about and a scenario to imagine.
I really love the way you described the emotions of the lyrical-me and asked questions to awake the reader’s subconsciousness, giving the reader’s mind a task, a riddle to solve.

The wording you used made the whole poem even more romantic than the topic and content was. It was very enjoyable. I loved it!

No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.
— John Donne