The Accidental Magic: Chapter 4

by foxmaster

MEANWHILE

She knew. Oh, yes, she knew. It was a very dark feeling, one that only came at a time of great loss. Yes, she thought. I am definitely experiencing great loss. Soon they will pay. They think they already have, but they haven't.

BACK TO THE HEROES.

Today was the weirdest day ever. Thought Charlotte. I am flying and on a quest. 

"Careful, y'all!" yelled Maddie. "We are near the Explosion Plains."

"Explosion-" BOOOOM!  Suddenly. the ground beneath them exploded and sent everybody flying in different directions. They all screamed. 

~~~~~

Charlotte landed on a cliff. It was a very nice cliff, honestly. She got up, and dusted herself off very formally. Then she realized that she was on the diamond mountains! She was right by a very large cave. It wasn't dark, however. It was shimmering sixty different colors, because on the inside, the mountain was filled with multicolored precious gems. 

"Go left!"

No, RIGHT!"

Charlotte heard the vices of her teammates and was glad that they all weren't split up all over the place. She slowly walked over to them. "Oh, hi Charlotte!" said Toby. "we're all glad you're here!" 

Charlotte was glad, too. 

"Should we go left, or RIGHT?"  Maddie said, and it was clear she wanted to go right. 

"Maybe..." said Charlotte, having actually no idea where to go. "Left?" actually, it was a terrible idea.

ELLIE

Ellie already had a hard time tracking her sister and her friends. The explosion didn't help. Her feet were aching, and she felt incredibly tired. 

Suddenly, she saw a lone figure wandering around. Hoping it was Charlotte, she ran over to it, and saw that it was not, in fact, her sister. 

Instead it was a girl with long dark hair. her eyes were a strange violet. 

"How did the Witches not capture you?" asked Ellie suspiciously.  Something set her on edge.

"Because," said the girl, "I am one." Ellie screamed. The girl cut her off. "I know how to save everyone. I can help you. but... for a price." 

dragonight9 wrote a review...

Hi again, this one is a bit shorter I guess, still good though.

I loved that you mentioned that "it was a very nice cliff" I chuckled a bit when I read that.

"Charlotte heard the vices of her teammates" Voices

Just one spelling mistake this time!

That last line could have been broken up into three separate lines.
First to make the "I am one" line stand out so it feels more ominous.
Second because saying that Ellie screamed right after the line could imply Ellie said the line.
Third it switches from Ellie back to the witch so that should be on its own line.

I do like the "for a price." ending thought. Really cool.

I really liked the ominous line at the start of the story and the implication that it might have been said by this new Violet eyed witch.

Also, was Ellie caught in the explosion? How far had she been walking and how could she keep up with people who are literally flying?!

It just dawned on me that being able to fly, but only at a jogging pace, would be a very interesting spin on a story that I've never seen before.

Also the mystery of how this witch could save everyone, who does she mean by "everyone", and does she actually have good intentions? (doubt it).

Overall it was short but progressed the story nicely and was quite interesting. Good job.

Hmm…Who is thinking about making people pay? The Queen? Is the Queen a villain? Could it be Maddie? Or that witch girl Ellie met? The witch girl seems okay, but then again, witches are supposed to be evil in this universe and Ellie only JUST met her. What if the witch girl is another version of Charlotte? One Ellie and Charlotte herself wouldn’t be able to recognize?

I wish you a fantastic day/night.

foxmaster says...

Spoiler alert: the queen is evil

dragonight9 says...

Dude! put some space between the spoiler alert and the actual spoiler. Dang.
Cool idea though

foxmaster says...

should i make an epilogue?

Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:02 am
Zeno wrote a review...

Hi, I'm reviewing your work again.

Code: Select all

We have some amazing stuff here. The introduction of the mysterious girl who claims to be a witch and offers to help for a price adds a new element of intrigue and danger to the story. It raises many questions in my mind about the girl's intentions and what the cost of her help might be.

Code: Select all

~~~~~

This scene creates a sense of danger and action and makes the story more dynamic, adding an unexpected twist to the story which leaves me guessing about the characters' fate. My one suggestion is that the transition from the explosion to discovering the diamond mountain could be more developed and described in more detail. You can make it more clear on how the characters ended up there, what they experience and how they react to the situation.

Code: Select all
"Go left!"

No, RIGHT!"

Charlotte was glad, too.

I expected that the group might be poor on team work since they knew each other just moments ago. However, this dialogue shows good establishment of the relationships of the group. It shows their camaraderie and their sense of team spirit. This is just a detail that I found peculiar with.

In summary, this chapter is well-written and effectively establishes the setting, characters, and conflict of the story, while also adding new elements of intrigue and danger that keeps me engaged and curious about what will happen next.

And as always, looking forward for the next chapter!

First Impression: Ahhh I'm really starting to get invested here! We've got three separate POV's now and it seems like every single one ends on its own cliffhanger I love the tension you're building up that way. I wonder if at some point all of these POV's will end up meeting.

Well that's an interesting little interlude there. It looks like we just got ourselves a bit of a sneak peak at the villain there and I am loving it. It looks our villain's got some pretty interesting plans there and quite some hidden backstory to be revealed eventually. I love this moment.

"Explosion-" BOOOOM! Suddenly. the ground beneath them exploded and sent everybody flying in different directions. They all screamed.

Well that's one way to introduce a place called the explosion plains. I loved the way you handled that. Its a nice way to shock us quickly. The only tiny nitpick I have is that this person's warning clearly came far too later here which seems odd, but otherwise I love how everything just blows up there.

"Go left!"

No, RIGHT!"

Oooh well that's a really interesting mountain there. I think you give us just about the perfect amount of description for that. Its handled quite nicely. And it also looks like everyone else is still fine as well so perhaps this explosion wasn't quite so bad after all.

Charlotte was glad, too.

"Should we go left, or RIGHT?" Maddie said, and it was clear she wanted to go right.

Okayyy well that looks like they've at least regrouped although our mysterious narrator here seems to think that was a terrible idea. Well, hopefully it doesn't end up going too badly for them, at the very least it creates a nice bit of tension there and another little cliffhanger.

"How did the Witches not capture you?" asked Ellie suspiciously. Something set her on edge.

Ooooh I love the double storylines here. The more we see of Ellie, the more it seems like she's really someone special here because the way she manages to follow all of them on foot like this and then the way she talks to this stranger really shows she can't be completely new to this.

Overall: Overall I love the vibes that you're creating here and I think this chapter was much better paced compared to the last two. It didn't feel like we were rushing at any point here.

Kate

"Yesterday you said tomorrow, so JUST DO IT."
— Shia Labeouf