18+ Language Mature Content

Cyberpunkers dreams

by xcx1charli

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and mature content.

Cyberpunkers ballade

Jumping around the pound,

Having incredible fun.

Massive skyscrapers above,

Replace for you hills and peaks.

Wild kids robbing the store,

Stolen police cars, drug addicts path.

I walk down the street,Tons of mankind.

Being a citizen of cyber metropolis,

Gunshots and fire,Screaming and laughing.

Neon lightning and lighting from lighter,

The city like diamond,Clear and pure,

Full of a bullshit like those people with you.

Drinking pedestrians, hookers and brothels,

Calling for you to set aside troubles.

I am sure that one day,You will come to me,

Survivor of reality,Survivor of city.

I know you are special,And that's why I love,

I love you so much,As much as I could.

Dreamers

Like angels, divine,

They fly across our minds,

All in neon, sparkling and blinging,

They bring us the dreams,

Dreams of the past, present, and future.

So graceful, so naive,

Dreamers they are called,

Bringing joy to us all.

Metropolis

Somewhere in the darkness,

Somewhere far away,

Flashing lights,

Loud sounds,

Cars rushing streets.

Metropolis never falls asleep

Kindness is not known here

Virtue isn't a king

But memories rule the city

They rule people's minds

Making them wild

Making them kind

Oh, beautiful city

Beyond the borders of grace

Cyber fisherman's bay

Boats are bouncing on a wave.

Old fisherman is climbing in his motorboat,

using his digital equipment.

He sets off from the shore,

leaving the bay behind.

Crossing the neon water,

leaving the toxic city behind.

He reaches the sea's center, drops a net, and waits,

like a little girl waiting for her father to come back.

Leaving Free State

I left you there, won't come back

Leaving my freedom, leaving my life

Hooked on a high, a beautiful lie

Cyber lifestyle, not in a free state

I told you I loved you so many times

But you wouldn't reply with sympathy

Like a roller coaster, you tested me

Like a rat, I'm so fed up with your attitude

I'm packing my suitcase, taking a fast train

Leaving the Free State,

Goodbye motherland

Past memo

As the sun stays above the horizon,

Children race home from school.

I used to hold your hand,

We walked together through the colorful streets of the city,

Making plans and dreaming of a bright future.

But those days are gone now,

Circumstances have changed our minds.

I long for those times, and I suspect you do too,

When we were carefree and young,

When we were invincible.

Cyberpunk brothel

In a city of neon and chrome,

Where the streets are alive with drones,

There is a place where secrets are sold,

A cyberpunk brothel, dark and cold.

Where the working girls are wired and sleek,

Their bodies augmented, their eyes unique,

They cater to the lusts and desires,

Of the hackers and corps who fan the fires.

In rooms of holographic delight,

The men find pleasure, day and night,

But beware, for there is danger here,

In this den of vice and sin, so clear.

For in this world of virtual dreams,

Where nothing is as it seems,

The lines between reality and art,

Are blurred and twisted, right from the start.

So if you seek to lose yourself,

In the thrall of the cyberpunk brothel,

Just be aware of the cost you'll pay,

For in this world, you may not escape.

Jezebel

Jezebel, in the city of neon lights

Where the streets are ruled by corporate might

She wanders, lost and all alone

In a world that's far from her home

The city is a cold and bitter place

With danger lurking in every space

Jezebel's been scarred by what she's seen

Living in this cyberpunk dream

She's haunted by the past that's dead

And by the love she's never had

She's trapped in a cycle of endless pain

With no one to ease her endless strain

The neon signs that light the night

Are like a beacon in the fight

For something real, something true

But all they bring is darkness, too

Jezebel longs for human touch

But in this world, that's asking too much

She's just a ghost in a machine

Trapped in a city's deadly routine

But still she fights, with all her might

To hold on to what is right

In a world where nothing is as it seems

Jezebel's spirit still gleams

She'll find a way, to break the chains

And rise above the cyberpunk pains

She'll find a way, to break the chains

And rise above the cyberpunk pains

and reach for the stars with all her might.

Neon Empire

No money rules the world here

A kingdom built on greed, where the rich never tire

They sit upon their thrones, with power in their hands

Their subjects live in poverty, in the neon-lit lands

The streets are lined with screens, flashing bright and bold

Advertising the luxuries, that the poor can never hold

While the elite live in splendor, the masses struggle on

Their dreams of wealth, forever gone

The city hums with energy, a symphony of noise

But beneath the surface, there is a different voice

The voice of those who've lost, in this capitalist game

They cry out for justice, but their cries go in vain

But there is still hope, in the hearts of the oppressed

They rise up against their rulers, in a final test

They fight for a future, where no money rules the world

A neon empire, where all are equal, the poor and the pearl.

Where the bright neon signs, no longer blinds

And the screams of discontent, no longer confined

A world where the Neon Empire, shines a light on equality

And the people, they are truly free.

Guests from the Future

Stars above are shining bright

Gazing down upon the city at night

Desire in our hearts is stirring

To leave our worries and go exploring

Like angels from the future they seem

Chrome and neon, a dazzling dream

Guests from another time and place

Welcome to our world, feel at home in this space

Make yourself at ease

You are always welcome here

Come and join our neon dreams

And tell us your deepest secrets, without fear

We will keep them safe and sound

From virtual eyes and ears around

Promise to keep them secure

For you, our valued guest, we will always ensure.

{Stars are looking down

Watching the city above

Desire is tempting in heart

To come down and have some fun

They are future angels

Virtue of chrome

Guests from the future

Welcome home

Feel yourself home

You are so welcome

Come join our world

Full of neon

Tell us your secrets!

What do you hide?

What kind of pride,

Can you have?

We sure will keep them

From virtual eyes

Ears and mouths

Promise we must}

yamatri wrote a review...

hey I am here for the review.

so I like the concept of the poem describing different part of cyberpunk city and life in each section of poem , I suggest you add some dash or dot something that can separate parts, it makes the reading easy and doesn't bore or confuse the reader with long continuous sections.

I like the simple , direct style of describing with imagery , I cannot give in-depth review of the whole cause its damn longs so the first two are already reviewed so I will start with 3rd
..
3rd METROPOLIS -
love this line

Metropolis never falls asleep

Kindness is not known here

Virtue isn't a king

good lines describing the busy life and mentality of this place, though I am not sure what the words memories meant in this .like what type of memories , I suppose some memory of past cruelty the metropolitan people have faced that make them wild and kind .
...

4th CYBER FISHERMAN'S BAY

''Crossing the neon water,'' nice imagery explanation of neon light falling on the water

''like a little girl waiting for her father to come back. '' love the simile

...
5th LEAVING FREE STATE

I suppose this is about a simulation life , "Hooked on a high, a beautiful lie " where you are kept high like a lab rat , but i don't get sympathy and attitude line , I am sorry i am just confused in this one last two felt like a glimpse of life in the part of the cyber punk city, this one also seems like a part of the place where life is of simulation but i am not sure .

..
6 th PAST MEMO OR THE GOODBYE MOTHERLAND

This part is the past memories of the speaker I suppose where life was simple and the speaker and people ( lover and friends ) were living normally and happily and now the times have changed. I like the fact you added this here it feels like a breath of fresh air in between the city life we were in before a good place where we can fully understand the just how nice the life before was :

"Circumstances have changed our minds.

When we were carefree and young,

When we were invincible."

these line nicely show us how the writers view is , the power they had before now they are just part of a cyber punk dystopia ,

.....
7 th CYBERPUNK BROTHEL

i love the description of futuristic brothel ,( Where the working girls are wired and sleek,
Their bodies augmented, their eyes unique,)

They cater to the lusts and desires,

In rooms of holographic delight,

The men find pleasure, day and night,

But beware, for there is danger here,

In this den of vice and sin, so clear.

For in this world of virtual dreams,

i love the dystopia imagery of the brothel and the virtual dream part

The lines between reality and art ( I suppose you used art for the rhyming , it's good to rhyme but prioritize meaningful word over rhyming)

out of 5 the last brothel one was the best at putting the imagery of the place and describing what you wanted to describe
....

as a general comment I liked the variety you gave the concept was nice it was fresh to read something unique ,I just found a little inconsistency in writing Someplaces you are lacking Someplaces you are writing adequately , the rhyming is also inconsistent in Someplaces you have used very bland sentences

in general I liked it , it was fun to read

Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:43 pm
Liminality wrote a review...

Hey there! Lim here with a review. Since you’ve posted 10 poems here, which is a lot to get through at once, I’ll only be able to review 2 in greater detail. I’ll give general comments for the whole thing as a set though, since they seem to be interconnected.

General Comments

I like the range of takes you’ve given on the “cyberpunk” theme. There are some poems that are more hopeful while others are more cynical; some poems are more focused on the individual while others consider the whole society. I felt like each poem was presenting something new.

From what I can tell, one of the themes of the poems is modernity. I find it interesting that you’ve chosen to rhyme the ends of lines in some of the poems (though not others). This sort of rhyme scheme, especially when the rhyme follows an AABB pattern, kind of makes the poem seem more ‘traditional’ even though the imagery is all about this futuristic world. The figures in the poems also often are wrestling with features of the modern world like city life, technology and consumerism.

I thought some of the poems sound better read aloud than others. At times the rhyme feels just a tad forced, for example in the 9th poem “Neon Empire”:

It tripped me up when reading because when I see the start of the phrase “the poor and . . . “ I expect to see an adjective after that, such as “the wealthy”, “the rich” or even, to continue this ‘pearl’ idea, “the luminescent”. So having a noun there kind of makes it seem like the word was chosen *just* for the sake of rhyming, if that makes sense. If you are able to avoid having such rhymes, it would make a rhymed poem flow a lot better in my opinion.

Another feature of the writing here is the unified imagery across all the poems. The shininess of the city is well-conveyed and the poems definitely feel like they’re all part of a set.

Now onto some more specific comments:

Cyberpunkers ballade – the first poem

In the title of the poem, the “ballade” seems to refer to a form of poetry that is old and considered pretty folksy or traditional, whereas “cyberpunk” is something futuristic. I noticed a theme of technology and perhaps urbanisation with how skyscrapers “replace” hills and mountains. The speaker ‘reveals’ themselves in the second half of the poem where the “I” is first used and I felt like it was suddenly revealed to me that the poem could also be about love or a particular relationship. So it was interesting looking back and seeing the “you” in the people having “incredible fun” or perhaps being a bit drowned in the crowd.

Something I liked was the rhythm in:

Each phrase (before the comma or ‘and’ and after) has five syllables, so even though the poem is free verse, it still has a distinct rhythm here. The rhythm also matches the words and imagery – gunshots, screaming, lightning are all things that sound fast, so the separation of the lines into shorter 5-syllable phrases when reading reflects that.
As for ideas to consider in revision, I thought there were points where the sudden change in the length of lines or number of syllables was a bit awkward or didn’t match the flow.
For example:
Being a citizen of cyber metropolis,

The lines before this one were a series of 9-syllable lines, so I’m not sure why this one is 13 syllables. It also felt a bit hard to read aloud and I wasn’t sure how to fit it into the rest of the poem. If it’s supposed to talk about the “you”, that’s not very clear, and if it’s supposed to refer to the various figures who are jumping around, robbing stores, etc. it feels a bit redundant since I’d assume they’re *all* citizens of the metropolis here.

As a side note, I’m not sure what’s the meaning of the irregular capitalization. Some phrases separated by commas have capital letters but some don’t – if I take it to be emphasis, then the emphasis happens at awkward places like “AS much as I could”.

Dreamers – the second poem

My first impression of this poem is that the shape forms a curve, which looks kind of gentle and graceful. That seems to match the content which describes dreamers as being “like angels”. I interpret this poem as being about desire, and perhaps a positive depiction of desire, since the “dreamers” seem to know what real “joy” is and bring it to humanity. The way the poem describes the title kind of reminds me of a cinquain poem, even though this mostly seems to be free verse.

Something I like is that the line lengths are somewhat symmetrical. They start out short, then grow long, then grow short again, which reflects the poem’s description of the dreamers: it expands, then it concludes on a short and sweet note that the dreamers ‘bring joy’.

Some ideas for polishing the poem would be maybe to remove / replace the line “Dreamers they are called,” because readers can infer from the title that it is the dreamers that are being described. It would also be nice to see more development of the angels + technology motif. I thought the image of angels dressed in neon was interesting, but I couldn’t quite picture it since it was glanced over pretty quickly.

This series of poems show an interesting and unified look into a cyberpunk setting while also exploring poetic themes like human desire, urbanisation and social inequality. Like the other reviewer, I think it would be nice to have more of a visual separation between poems, such as bolding the poem titles. It’s also much more common on this site to post one poem at a time (as in, per literary work).

Hope this helps – and keep writing!
-Lim

Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:33 am
leiilan wrote a review...

Hello! I enjoyed reading through all these poems. It was a bit hard to tell where a poem ended and began, but I saw the titles in between so it was fine!

Firstly, I love the theme of cyberpunk (and the somewhat dystopian theme you did as well). I think there’s a lot of things to uncover with the topic.

My favorite poem was Jezebel. The way it was written allowed me to really tune into the character’s experiences. I especially love the line, “where the streets are ruled by corporate might”. It reminds me of many shows I’ve seen about government/authority corruption, and incorporating that with the description of neon lights as well as keeping the theme of cyberpunk in mind paints a really vivid image.

My second favorite was Metropolis. Again with the imagery! Even if you didn’t describe these poems as cyberpunk themed, it would be fairly easy for the reader to understand that with your wording; it’s just that lively. Metropolis makes me feel as if the cyberpunk world in which you’re describing is viewed from the outside inwards, almost like it’s in a snow globe. The reader is placed outside the scene and views several little glimpses of what life is like for those in the world. It’s not too much, and just enough to keep the reader intrigued in the flow of life in the world. My favorite line here would be,

“He sets off from the shore,

leaving the bay behind.

Crossing the neon water,

leaving the toxic city behind.”

It really pushes the idea home that a world of such huge technological advancements and digitalization isn’t so glamorous as it may seem to some. It connects really well to the other poems.

Overall, I really loved these poems and the themes. A suggestion would be to split the poems more clearly so it’s easier to read, because without your description it seems like one long piece. Still amazing nonetheless. I would also like to read more cyberpunk themed poems like Jezebel from you!

Have a good day/night, and happy writing!

Remember the rain that made your corn grow.
— Haitian Proverb