Little Red Bloody Hood | Chapter One - Into the Woods

by C1oudyC1oudy

Edith Hood stares at her reflection in her spoon, turning it over in her pale hand. Her blue eyes stare back at her as she studies her blonde hair, black eyelashes, and lips as red as blood.

Blood. That reminds her instantly of the execution yesterday. Oh, how brutal it was, watching as they tied up the poor old woman. She remembered Mrs. Sweet, she lived her last name until she got the Disease, and then she turned Savage, thirsty for what they spilled yesterday. Her stomach churns as the sickening snap she had heard from the guillotine bounces through her head.

She places down the spoon finding herself unable to eat her soup. This catches her mother’s attention and causes her to go full Mama Bear.

“Why aren’t you eating? Are you sick? Do you have a…” She looks around and pauses but Edith already knows what she’s going to say. “Thirst for blood?”

“Mother.” She says, looking up at her with her head in her hand. “I’m fine, just not hungry.”

“Is it because of what happened yesterday? It’s fine dear, she lived a long life. Just kinda wished she went peacefully in her sleep and didn’t catch the… the…”

Some people are so scared of the illness that they wouldn’t even dare to say it. Unfortunately, her mom was one of those people. She wasn’t always though, not until her father got it and then ate her husband before getting caught and beheaded himself. She guesses the word still brings up those terrible memories for her mother. That incident had caused her to be overprotective too, noticeably avoiding people on the streets and not talking to people unless she needs to.

“I’m fine.” She repeats and she meant it. She was fine even though she may not be better than that it was enough. Her mother’s lips form a tight line but she nods anyway.

“Oh, Edith Deary. I forgot to tell you but I got a letter from Nana. She needs you to come to her little cottage. Apparently she hurt her back and can’t take care of herself. She may have also hit her head because she kept writing about a crow going for a swim…”

Edith swallows hard. A crow going for a swim, the code she and her grandmother had come up with for if she ever were to go Savage. She wanted her to come and save her from this Disease… that also meant she had to kill her. She was so sure that her grandmother would never get it from where she is which is the middle of the woods but it seems she was wrong.

She nods. “Yes, mother. When shall I leave?” She pulls at her red cloak, a nervous habit. The cloak had been from Nana and it was her favorite, not to mention soft and made out of silk. Despite not being very thick it kept her warm.

“Could you leave right away? I want you to get there before dark so you have a smaller chance of running into wolves.”

She nods again and stands up to clear the table. She pours her uneaten soup into the dog’s bowl. She wasn’t entirely sure he could eat it but she also didn’t want to waste it. In her room, she grabs the necessities for the trip and packs them into a woven picnic basket. Once she had placed her change of clothes, medicine, a dagger she had named Kindness, and some food her mother gave for the journey she flicks on her hood to keep her hair in place, which wasn’t working well, and bids her mother goodbye then makes her ways towards the woods.

With the basket in one hand and the other laying limply at her side she takes a deep breath and takes her first step into the woods.

Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:55 pm

Ooh I love dark fairytales and this is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful! I like Edith already. She seems like a kind person, but also someone who will do what needs to be done. I’ll definitely check out the other two chapters.

Just one question. Did her Mom behead her father and then ate him? Because it says that she ate him, it says that he beheaded himself.

Other than that, this story is wonderfully dark. Good job!

I hope that you have an amazing day/night.

C1oudyC1oudy says...

Ah, no. She didn't. It was the grandfather who ate Edith's dad.

C1oudyC1oudy says...

"She wasn%u2019t always though, not until her father got it and then ate her husband before getting caught and beheaded himself." It says so here.

Oh okay. Thx.

C1oudyC1oudy says...

Mhm!

Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:47 am

First Impression: Okayy this is quite an interesting take on the idea of red riding hood. I've seen plenty of more violent options for this tale, but I don't think I have ever really seen a variant quite like this one and it definitely peaks my interesting pretty much right away here.

Well that's a love little start. Very wholesome (Warning: Sarcasm). Definitely the kind of thing that just instantly glues your eyes to the page because here we've got someone being described literally as Mrs. Sweet turning into some sort of bloodthirsty creature (which I love that its not specified by the way) and having to be executed of all things. Also a nice little introduction there to the character, the old mirror trick has known to be pretty effective there and here there seems to be a good reason for this person to be looking into a mirror too so that works well.

Well that's a very casual question to ask a child, absolutely gets asked every day of the week. Wow, that definitely adds onto the list of thing catching you off guard. I adore how you've managed to slip all of this in so discretely to what could also just be a normal little scene of someone's morning. This is going along wonderfully so far.

Well that seems like a pretty reasonable reason to have a fear of a disease right there. Wow. ALso love the sneaky way of telling us Edith here doesn't have a father and how he died. We've already managed to learn quite so much about this world and its history.

Ooooh, well now I'm seeing the connection here to what I assume is red riding hood from the title of this here. Well well, let's see how this plays out. Definitely the sort of moment that gets the tension levels rising here. That is definitely the type of problem that tends to catch your attention as a reader.

Okay not a bad place toe end there. Gotta say the dagger named Kindness is low key kind of hilarious here at the same time as it is sweet because it looks like that dagger is being used to save people from a fate worse than death by killing them. So definitely a lot to unpack right there.

Overall: Overall, I love the idea. Its a premise that definitely makes you quite curious as to what exactly has been happening here and I can't wait to find out more about how this tale will change from what it usually is. So far I think you've done a lovely job here.

C1oudyC1oudy says...

I loved reading your review, it made me so happy. I love how you just don't focus on one small section but the whole thing! I'm glad you enjoyed it, it's nice to know what I'm doing right.

KateHardy says...

Glad to hear it :)

Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:35 pm
ccarson wrote a review...

-Cleo Carson speaking

Whoa! We aren't even in the woods yet and someone has already died. I feel like this story could become a great dark fairy-tale! Also a dagger named "Kindness" reminds me of a Florida Man who named a machete "Kindness." It's a crazy story, you should look it up. Anyways... I would love to see more of this in the future! Do you think that you'll continue it?

-Corp. C. Carson
-[REDACTED] County Sheriff's Office

C1oudyC1oudy says...

Yep, I love writing angst and romance. My favorite mug actually says 'I shall buy a sword and name it Kindness, then I'll kill people with Kindness'. I'll look it up later, is it a crime story? If so then I'll most likely enjoy it. Also, thank you! And I'll most definitely be continuing it. I actually have all the way until chapter three written I just need points to publish it.

ccarson says...

I'll read that when it comes out!

C1oudyC1oudy says...

Oh, one more thing! It is a dark fairy tale, based off of Little Red Riding Hood. And thank you for your support! It means a lot.

Well, if I can't get this chapter to work....at least I will have exercised my fingers.
— Kaia