12+ Violence Mature Content

How curious..

by vampricone6783

*Loraine is the little girl from my story “The clown and the little girl:SHORT STORY.” She is also in “The clown and the little girl:PART TWO” and the last Halloween and Christmas tales in my Halloween and Christmas stories.Gacha Club character designs are in my wall.To hear about the clown read “It’s all a bit tragic isn’t it?”

Chapter One-The carnival 

2016-Loraine’s house, in her bedroom.

Five year old Loraine Smith lay awake in her bed, dreading the next day.

It was Saturday tomorrow. She was supposed to be excited for the weekend!

But she wasn’t.

Her parents wanted to take her to a carnival, so she could get over her fear of clowns.

Loraine had seen clowns standing at bus stops, behind buildings and even under tunnels. They beckoned to her with their terrible fingers, smiling and grinning at her.

She was told by her parents they were just weird people in costumes and she shouldn’t even pay attention to them.

But…what if they were actually evil monsters and Loraine was being lied to?

She…she couldn’t have those…those things grab her…

Chapter Two-Getting ready to go

It was the next morning and the sun was shining brightly from her window.She could hear her parents downstairs, making breakfast. Soon, they’d tell her to come downstairs.

She didn’t want to come.

She didn’t want to see the clowns.

She didn’t want any of this.

But she couldn’t lie in her bed forever, so Loraine got up and changed into a soft pink dress and white socks.

If she had to go to a stinky carnival, at least she would look pretty.

Chapter Three-Arriving

Loraine walked downstairs, to the living room, where Mom had just finished making breakfast for her and Dad.

She put a plate of pancakes on the table, topped with syrup and butter, for all three of them.

Loraine sat in the chair, in front of her plate and didn’t eat a single bite.

“What’s wrong, honey?” Mom asked, noticing that she wasn’t eating her favorite food.

“I don’t want to go. The carnival is scary. It’s full of evil clowns.” Loraine said.

“Aw, sweetie, they’re not going to hurt you-“

“Yes they are! I see them everywhere. They all want to hurt me!”

Mom sighed at this.

“How many times do we have to tell you? Ignore those people! They don’t do anything, they just wear costumes! They’re weak.” She said.

“But they’re scary!”

“You are going to get over your fear of clowns. Once and for all.” She said.

Loraine looked to Dad, hoping he would be on her side, but he just looked back at Mom.

That meant that she was going to this carnival.

That meant she had to be with a bunch of clowns.

……………………………………………………

ARRIVING AT THE CARNIVAL

Sitting buckled up in the car, Mom was driving them to the carnival, with Loraine fearfully waiting for them to arrive.

Then, they stopped at the brightly colored, loud and crazy-

“We’re finally here! At the carnival!” Dad boomed.

“Oh no! We’re here! “ Loraine cried out, covering her face with her hands, not wanting to look at the-the-the carnival.

“Cheer up, Lolo. It’s going to be okay.” Mom said.

No, it wasn’t. It wasn’t going to be okay.

Chapter Four-She still doesn’t like clowns

Since Loraine absolutely had no choice in the matter, she unbuckled her seatbelt and got out of the car.

Alright, time to be a big girl. Time to face her fears.

She held the outstretched hand of Mom and skipped with her, Dad trailing behind.

“Maybe this won’t be bad. Maybe I can do this!” Loraine declared, confidence in her heart.

Those big rides actually looked cool and the food looked delicious and the music was catchy and-

And there he was.

Right next to the “Fried butter on a stick” stand, there was a…a...a…a…

…a clown.

He was juggling rainbow balls, a crowd of people surrounding him.

Mom shared a look with Dad, then she looked down at Loraine and asked:

“Want to see him?”

Loraine shook her head.

“Why not? I thought that you were going to be a big girl now.”

“I-I changed my mind.I don’t want to see him.” Loraine said.

“Are you sure?” She asked.

Loraine nodded.

“I-I want to go home.”

“Why? We just got here.You can try other stuff,you don’t have to see the clown-“

“I SAID I WANT TO GO HOME!” She cried out, stomping her foot.

Some people turned to look at her and started whispering. This frustrated Loraine and she ran back to their car, wiping tears from her face.

When her parents caught up to her, Mom yelled at Loraine for running away from them, saying that she could have gotten hurt.

But she didn’t care. As long as she was away from that colorful clown, she was safe.

Chapter Five-The next day

Loraine played with the stuffed animals on her bed, trying so hard to forget about yesterday.

But that clown kept coming up, the juggling clown. She didn’t like that he was looking straight at her.

Mom said that he wasn’t doing that, that it was just her imagination.

It felt like he was doing that, though.

And what was even worse was the fact that...that she sometimes saw clowns hiding in certain places-

“Lolo? Can I come in?”

It was Mom.

“Sure.” Loraine said.

She walked in and sat next to her on the bed.

“I’m sorry about yesterday. I shouldn’t have forced you to go.”

Loraine said nothing.

“Me and your father have been thinking about this for a long time, but now we’ve decided it’s for the best.”

“What are you going to do?”

“We’re moving, Lolo. You shouldn’t have to be seeing these clowns in your neighborhood. You’d like it better if we moved.”

“Moving? But…really?”

“Yes.”

Loraine didn’t say anything. Mom left her room and she just sat there,holding a toy dog, thinking about…moving.

Sure, she didn’t have any friends and sure, her neighborhood scared her.

But…moving? To a different place?

Wasn’t it going to be…scarier?

Chapter Six-A day at school

It’s been awhile (Loraine couldn’t remember) since she was told that she would move. Today was her last day at school.

Right now, she was sitting in class, drawing and singing to herself. She liked doing those things, they were fun.

“Loraine!”

She whipped her head up from her notebook.

“Did you hear what I just said?” Her teacher, Ms.Madison asked.

Loraine shrugged. She didn’t hear a single word.

The other kids snickered at her and she sunk lower into her seat.

“Stop that. This isn’t how we act towards our friends.” Ms.Madison said to the kids.

Everyone went quiet, but Loraine knew deep down, that they all hated her.

She always got too caught up in her own imagination and then the other kids would laugh at her for it.

Maybe moving wasn’t a bad idea after all.

Chapter Seven-Back at home

After a long day at school, Dad was driving Loraine back home.

“So, are you excited about moving?”

“I don’t know.”

“Come on, I know you’re excited!”

“Yeah, yeah I am. At least I’d make new friends.”

What was her new place going to be like?

Chapter Eight-It’s moving day!

Loraine opened her eyes to the bright morning sun. She couldn’t stop thinking about that horrible day in school yesterday..

And then she remembered that today was the day.

Moving day.

Chapter Nine-Packing stuff away

After Loraine ate breakfast, she was up in her room, packing her things.

She took one last look at her pink bedroom wall.

“Bye bye.” Loraine said to her wall.

With that she grabbed her purple suitcase and walked away.

Chapter Ten-Driving

Loraine’s Dad was driving her and her Mom to the new house, which was close, but not too close, to their neighborhood.

At least, that’s what she was told.

Looking out her car window, she saw-

A woman?! With silver hair?! Wearing a red dress?!

They were still on the road, where only cars should be.

So why was a woman there?!

“Do you guys see that lady?”

“What lady? There is no lady.”

Just then, the woman disappeared.

Why…what was that?

Chapter Eleven-The new house

When their car finally pulled up to the new house,Loraine had second thoughts about moving.

What if she saw more strange people,like that woman? What if her old place was better?

She got out of the car,not saying a word and when they all got inside,she asked her Mom where her room was.

Then,Loraine ran to her new room,crying.

Was she going to be haunted forever? 

Chapter Twelve-The clown

She was sitting in her room,crying to herself.Would anyone ever understand?

Just then,she heard something behind her closet door.

Loraine backed away and saw none other than a..a..a..clown!

“W-what?” She asked,surprised to see the clown.

“It’s okay.I won’t hurt you.” He soothed.

But she wasn’t soothed at all.A clown was in her room!

“H-h-how d-d-did y-y-o-o-u g-g-get h-h-e-r-r-e?” She stuttered.

“I’m dead,little one.I’m a ghost.This was my house.” He replied.

“Prove it!” She shrieked,pointing a finger.She wouldn’t stop until she knew the truth and the whole truth!

“Prove it?” He asked,amused.

“Yes.What if you’re some weird guy who is hiding in my room and you’re not a ghost?” Loraine asked.She didn’t want to deal with weird guys,not after she saw that woman.

“Fair point.” He said,nodding.

“Okay,maybe you are a ghost.But why are you a scary clown?” Loraine asked.

“Scary.That must be what you kids think of me now.” He said sadly.

Wait,why was he sad?

“I wasn’t always scary.I was…funny.Yeah,that’s what I was.Funny.I…was performing as a clown in my life..I had a daughter.She was like you,little one.”

He had a daughter just like her? This clown had..a child?

Loraine didn’t know clowns could have children!

“Want me to continue?”

She nodded,interested to hear more.

“I had a little girl once.But…”

“But what?”

“She..she was very sick.”

“Sick? I’ve gotten sick before,but my parents were always there to help me.I’m sure it was no big deal.”

“No,not sick as in a small cold or a headache that only lasts a day,sick as in…deathly.The sickness was so bad,it could kill someone.”

“But she lived,right?”

The girl wasn’t dead,hopefully she wasn’t! That would be a pity if she were.

“Right?” Loraine asked after he said nothing.

“My child,I wish I could say yes.She’s in Heaven now.”

“What happened to you?”

“Hm..I..died in my carnival while performing.No one seemed to care after I died.It’s fine.I live here now.”

“Don’t be sad.It’s okay.”

“Thanks,kiddo.I hope you remember that when you’re sad,you can always talk to me.I’ll come right when you’re feeling down.”

“Same thing goes for you.We friends have to stick together,you know.”

Maybe clowns weren’t as bad as she thought!

A/N:The woman in the red dress was the ghost of the clown’s friend. He has two friends. The woman, who is Lydia, and a man whose name is Michael. I will post their stories later. What popular character do you think Loraine could be good friends with?

Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:26 pm
Horisun wrote a review...

Hey! It's been a minute since I reviewed one of your works. I saw it sitting in the Green Room and thought I'd leave a quick review!
If I'm not mistaken, this story is connected to another one you wrote, in which Alexander dies and is forced to haunt his house eternally. I like that you're building towards an extended Universe, as I always thinks those sorts of stories are cool. Yet it's important to remember not to write backstories for the sake of writing backstories. While this story does stand on its own, I can't help but feel it only makes sense in the context of your other tales.
For example, an outside reader wouldn't understand that there is zero connection between the real-life clowns Loraine continues to see, versus Alexander, an actual ghost haunting her house. Even someone who read your previous stories might not pick up on what the original clowns actually were. I only knew because I read your comment replying to a prior reviewer.
Still though, this is a very cute story about a young girl coming to grips with her fear of clowns. It was a relatable narrative arc, as everyone was afraid of something or other when they were younger.
One last side note, though I know horror seems to be your forte, I'd love to see you dip your toes into some other genres. It'd be great to see your unique takes on things such as fantasy or a more lighthearted contemporary.
Either way, keep on writing, and have a great day! :D

Thanks for your review! I will definitely come up with different types of stories in the future.

I just thought..what you picture Loraine looking like in your head?

Horisun says...

Definitely a lot younger, yet old enough to be attending school. (So, around seven or eight?) You never quite described her appearance, so aside from that, I didn't have very much to go off of

She%u2019s five in this story.

I feel like you can imagine however you want her to look.Whatever would suit the character.

Em16 wrote a review...

This was quite an interesting story. There were a lot of twists and turns that I didn’t expect, and I enjoyed the character of Loraine. I felt like her fear and emotions were well written, and were particularly vivid. I could really relate to and connect with a lot of what she was saying and feeling. I was sympathetic to her and understood her struggles. I also enjoyed reading about the struggle between her fear of clowns and the presence of clowns in her life, and the way she reacted and dealt with adversity. It was sweet to see that at the end she accepted the clown ghost in her new house.
There were, however, a few things that could be improved. I don’t know if you know this, or maybe it’s an issue with the way the website has formatted your story, but usually, you include a space after punctation, such as commas and periods. Throughout the piece, there are a lot of places where there is no space between a period and a new sentence. In addition, there were some instances throughout the story where the behavior of the characters seemed unrealistic. For example, I don’t think parents would usually move because their children are scared of clowns. Moving is a difficult process that often involves switching jobs, buying a new house, and leaving behind all your friends. People would not usually go to all that difficulty just because their daughter is afraid of clowns.
Overall, this was a very intriguing story. I read the story with anticipation, always looking forward to the next chapter, and the ending was highly satisfying.

Thanks so much!

As for the moving situation,Loraine wasn%u2019t hallucinating those clowns.

They were real people dressed like clowns hanging around their neighborhood and trying to scare people.

Her parents didn%u2019t find it suitable so they left.

Hope that clears some things up!

Remember when dad's shoulders were the highest place on earth and your mom was your hero? Race issues were about who ran the fastest, war was only a car game. The most pain you felt was when you skinned your knees, and good byes only meant tomorrow? And we couldn't wait to grow up.
— Unknown