Home » Literary works » Short Story » Realistic

My Happy Place

by Axolotl

It’s a dark room, it’s a quiet room. There are no windows and the lights are low. The room is carpeted, a fluffy carpet. Like the carpet, the various pieces of furniture are fluffy but not smooth. None of the furniture is small, not a single wooden chair in sight. Every single surface is large enough to lay across. And though the room itself is quiet I am listening to my playlist, or perhaps a podcast. Maybe I’m half watching a YouTube video. All with large, wireless headphones. As I do that I might be drawing, I might be writing, I might be reading. I might even just be thinking. Regardless, at least one of my dogs lays nearby, the perfect company in this perfect place.

Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:34 am
Chairywrites wrote a review...

I loved this. It's nice to hear someone describe a setting, and to know that this came from the heart made it so much better. This little paragraph was nice as it made me think about what would be the perfect room for me. I really enjoyed this short story as it was so simple but very enriching in a way. I hope to read more of your stuff in the future.
Well, goodnight/morning. See ya later!

Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:38 pm

Okayy...so we have ourselves a very short little paragraph here mostly with some nice little description there. It looks to simply be a place about this very special location that's called this person's happy place and its a lovely little sentiment. This piece doesn't try to do too much but, what it does try to do, I think it manages to do very well. This description especially is wonderfully written and you can very easily imagine what this place might be like. There's a certain touch of emotion to this description and it makes for quite the experience.

The addition of the potential actions and thoughts there also plays really nicely with bringing this to life. It sort of makes it such that this happy place isn't simply just a physical thing with comfortable chairs or something, its also something of a mental state too here. The mention of the video and the thinking really brings this sort of full circle here and makes this a really neat description. And well that's about all I have to say here. Short review for a short piece..xD

Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:04 am
Plume wrote a review...

Hey there! Plume here, with a review!! And welcome to YWS!! I'm sure you're going to love it here!

I really loved this short but sweet piece! I think you did such a nice job of describing your happy place. It's very interesting to learn about people's happy places because it can really tell you a lot about the person. I think that although short, you were able to put a lot of unique descriptions in this piece, which made it enjoyable.

One thing I enjoyed was your specificity and uniqueness. I think a standout example of that would be your description of the large, fluffy furniture. It was such a unique characteristic and it tells me that the person this happy place belongs to loves comfort and restfulness. I also liked your contrast between the quiet of the room and the playlist/podcast playing through the headphones. Your descriptions in that section reminded me of what I do a lot of the time, where I"ll listen to music and be creative. The one thing I would say is that I would caution against coming in with this level of detail in actual prose unless it's absolutely necessary for the story. Generally, over-described settings don't sit well with making readers engaged, especially if the details aren't even relevant. I think that this is a really nice exercise to practice setting and transporting your readers to the location, though, so nice work!!

The one thing I would say was I didn't really feel that it was your happy place through your prose. You did a nice job fleshing out the room, but that was all I really felt: the room. I think by adding in some more personal touches and some comparisons/word choices that really show the joy that you hold for this place. Part of the setting is the feeling it evokes in the reader, and while you nailed the physical aspect of the setting, I found myself craving a bit more.

Overall: nice work!! I liked the simplicity and uniqueness present in this short but absolutely lovely piece. I hope to read more of your work in the future on this site, and once again, welcome to YWS! Until next time!!

Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:31 pm
weona wrote a review...

A few things here: first, you paint a detailed picture of this 'happy place' — I can see it perfectly in my mind. Second, the words and the way in which you describe the features of this scene are interesting because one could easily list every little feature of the furniture, the room, etc. but you don't; and the aspects of the room, furniture, etc. that you do include strike me as they're not what I would think to note first about many of these features. As such, they feel personal to you and what makes this your happy place. They make me feel that these details you include are important to you in particular. Like your inclusion that "Every single surface is large enough to lay across." — that's not something I would think about when looking at furniture but the fact that you include it is interesting and lends to the creation of your unique happy place.

The piece is short and there are definitely more elements of this 'happy place' that I'm sure could be included (the color of furniture, the type of dog, the kind of music, etc.) but the fact that you do not include every detail of every aspect of this scene feels intentional. It feels as though the important parts were included, the parts of this scene that make it happy for you; that those examples of additional details may not be factors in why this scene is 'your' happy place. And I enjoyed that because it made the piece feel more personal.

I enjoyed reading this, thank you for sharing.

You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote