Curiosity

by Phillauthet

I suppose you've all heard them say,
"Curiosity killed the cat".
But I, being me, am curious enough
to question even that.

I wanted to know the story behind;
the roots of this statement,
so I looked it up in Google, and new 
perspective it lent.

I learnt that this popular line
wasn't, in fact, complete;
They'd cut off a crucial few words
which were the real meat.

Those extra five words
dragged it into track:
"Curiosity killed the cat, but
satisfaction brought it back".

Now, we've also heard them say
that a cat has lives, nine.
Put the proverbs together 
and read the obvious sign.

Though you chance a thrilling glance
upon death's terrible face,
you finally reach most elusive
satisfaction, a matchless place.

To me, curiosity is
perfectly fine.
If you can take that daring risk
but also toe the line.

If you can differentiate between 
curiosity & stupidity,
you can reach your limits, shatter them
and explore in enormity.

Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:05 pm
leleparadise wrote a review...

Hey, Lele here for a review

Just wanted to start by saying this was a fun poem to read. Quirky and funny. It feels like a story book narrator were reading it out loud.

It challenges the reader of their understanding of curiosity itself. Very nice.

The way you worded the thought process before/after actively googling and then expressing your thoughts of what you found was nice. Very relatable when learning new things and questioning the worlds perspectives

For the second stanza, I think it would flow better if you matched the syllables in each line.

So instead of:

“I wanted to know the story behind;
the roots of this statement,
so I looked it up in Google, and new
perspective it lent.”

It would read:

“I wanted to know the story
Behind the roots of this statement
So I looked it up on google
And new perspective it lent”

The word “lent” feels oddly placed because it’s one syllable off. But for the sake of rhyming I see why you used it. At the sacrifice of spelling rhyming, I’d suggest

“and new perspective it came with”

The last stanza is my favorite, it sums it all together at the end. The final line is powerful. “Explore in enormity”. Very good word play and inspirational to anyone confined to a single way of seeing things when learning or excelling.

Overall, it’s a great piece. Keep up the writing.

Phillauthet says...

Thank you so much!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:36 pm
thecautiouswriter wrote a review...

I love this poem very much. It's a little out of the ordinary from other poems on this site; which is not a problem, in fact, I love it. I didn't know that there was more to the saying.

Those extra five words
dragged it into track:
"Curiosity killed the cat, but
satisfaction brought it back".

This was very interesting, and while reading I thought about what the fulling saying means, but the rest of the poem put my mind at ease. I like how you kind of explained what it means by saying: Now, we've also heard them say
that a cat has lives, nine.
Put the proverbs together
and read the obvious sign.

You did a great job on this poem, and I look forward to seeing what masterpieces you create next.

Phillauthet says...

Thank you!!!

Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:32 pm

I forgot what I know about poetry, what style is this again?

I love this poem.

Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:32 pm

I love this poem.

I'm on mobile and can't seem to edit. Or write more than that. It gets confused and brings me back to my profile page, only the homepage isn't clickable.

Anyway, I'm very fond of the extended saying, and your writing has an enjoyable jaunt to it.

That's it really.

Phillauthet says...

Ummm I'm not sure about the style exactly, myself. I guess it's just a rhyming poem.

Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:26 pm
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Hey! Forever here with a tiny review!!

I haven't reviewed poetry for many days, so... Let's see how this goes.

I suppose you've all heard them say,
"Curiosity killed the cat".
But I, being me, am curious enough
to question even that.

Okay, this was quite an interesting start to the poem. Definitely sets the mood of the poem along with exposing the opinion of the reader on the topic concerned in the very first stanza. I loved that. The only thing I would suggest to change is the first line, just a minute change: Maybe you could write it as "I suppose y'all have heard them say," I guess that helps a little bit with the flow.
I wanted to know the story behind;
the roots of this statement,
so I looked it up in Google, and new
perspective it lent.

Okay, it directly shows us the curiosity of the poet rather than telling it. I loved how you used showing+ telling in the poem. I was a bit confused with the last two lines of this stanza. The phrase "And new perspective it lent" doesn't seem to be grammatically correct(Honestly, I know little about grammar) and also it sounds a bit out of place if read aloud. At the first glance, I thought it was a typo and it was supposed to be knew. If it was actually supposed to be new, I guess you can add a 'the' before perspective. And if it was supposed to be new only, maybe you can add an 'a' before new.
I learnt that this popular line
wasn't, in fact, complete;
They'd cut off a crucial few words
which were the real meat.

Hm... Quite curiosity in picture. I liked this stanza. Wow, now I myself am curious to know what the people managed to cut off. Maybe I am being nitpicky or whatever but I feel like adding a comma after which can add some emphasis on the following phrase.
Those extra five words
dragged it into track:
"Curiosity killed the cat, but
satisfaction brought it back".

Seems like I wasn't curious enough to search it up but anyway, a new discovery I did here. I don't know but maybe you could add one or two words in the second line. Like reading aloud, I felt a bit obstructed there.
Now, we've also heard them say
that a cat has lives, nine.
Put the proverbs together
and read the obvious sign.

This was a great stanza. I do get a sense of irony of this 'they'. Like they said that curiosity killed the cat and again they said that a cat has nine lives. Quite the opposite. I do wonder if something can be done with the second line but ah, I don't seem to have any alternative here with the rhyming.
Though you chance a thrilling glance
upon death's terrible face,
you finally reach most elusive
satisfaction, a matchless place.

Well, that was one of my favorite bits of the poem. I loved the interline rhyming between chance and glance. Not very sure but I guess there is supposed to be a 'the' before most.
If you can differentiate between
curiosity & stupidity,
you can reach your limits, shatter them
and explore in enormity.

This constitutes my other favourite part of the poem. The poet, here gives a very strong opinion on curiosity.

Overall, I quite enjoyed reading the poem. Apparently, my poem critiquing power has decreased(Not that it was ever good). Anyway, I liked the discovery I made in this poem.

Keep Writing!!

~Forever

Phillauthet says...

Thank youuuu!

You're welcome! :D

Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:02 am
GirlWithATypewriter wrote a review...

This is really beautifully written! I’m a curious person too and especially like to look into old superstitions and beliefs and see why them came about. In that context, I personally enjoyed this poem very much! I will probably go around telling people about what I’ve learned today! I like the light hearted quirkiness that you carried throughout the poem. Hope to see more of your work!
Cheers,
GirlWithATypeWriter

Phillauthet says...

Thank you so much!

Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:28 pm
SofieR wrote a review...

Hey there, Sofie here with a review :)

I love this poem! It's quirky with a nice little message. I love how you kind of walk the reader through how learning the rest of the saying changed your perspective. I can feel the rhythm of the rhyme scheme as well which is nice. My fave is this verse:

"Now, we've also heard them say
that a cat has lives, nine.
Put the proverbs together
and read the obvious sign."

I love this verse and the way you connected the curiosity phrase with the nine lives phrase- so good! To me, I interpret it as an encouragement to always stay curious, always keep wondering always be seeking truth :) Great poem!

Phillauthet says...

Thank youu!

Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:18 pm
IMK wrote a review...

Hey, IMK here with a review.

I love this poem! I like how you took something that everyone has heard and twisted(?) it into something that makes far more sense than what it is supposed to be. Because curiosity isn't really what killed the cat, it's the reckless stupidity that came with curiosity. I also really like that you brought the full version in, because most people ignore

"Those extra five words
dragged it into track:
"Curiosity killed the cat, but
satisfaction brought it back"."

All in all, this was a great poem, I'm looking forward to reading more of your work!

-IMK

Phillauthet says...

Thankss!

Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:01 pm

Lovely poem! We do often warn others about being “too curious”,don’t we? It’s not good, because curiosity is what makes this world go round.You’re right about there being a difference between curiosity and stupidity.Curiosity leads to new discoveries,like the one you made now! Stupidity leads to-death.I guess we should change the saying to:”Stupidity killed the cat.” Good poem.I hope you have a lovely day/night.

Phillauthet says...

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:06 pm
CotardDelusionz says...

nice and interesting poem

Phillauthet says...

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.