12+

dirt

by lukekazey

bare hands upon this earth we call our own,

dry dirt clinging to my palms

and ingraining itself in my nail beds

until my fingertips are parched

and cracking.

~

i thought that, maybe,

if i touched the ground,

i could better understand myself.

~

if i am dirt, then to understand

earth is to understand me.

~

if value is not inherent 

then why is the cloying soil beautiful?

there is glory in grains and crops and

provision,

but there is glory too in self-preservation.

~

i am dirt.

but there is beauty in it.

i am loud

and obnoxious

and opinionated.

but i have a voice

and i am not afraid to use it.

~

i am dirt

and there is beauty in me.

in the words i speak

and the caress of my pen

against the page.

~

i am dirt

and i will not be silenced.

Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:36 pm
Caiteb wrote a review...

Hi, its Caite here giving you a five stars. This poem is absolutely beautiful. I love how you would take something that would normally be considered as gross and disgusting and turned it into something that is gorgeous.I love the descriptive language and the flow is amazing. Overall is a Wonderful poem and is very well written.

Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:08 pm
cryptologenic wrote a review...

hiya! droppin by for a review :]

anyways, i like the concept of this poem: subverting the ideas around something that would normally be considered an insult as something beautiful.
i thought that this verse

i am dirt.

but there is beauty in it.

i am loud

and obnoxious

and opinionated.

but i have a voice

and i am not afraid to use it.

is a little jarring though, i feel like the idea of dirt that you established earlier:
if value is not inherent

then why is the cloying soil beautiful?

there is glory in grains and crops and

provision,

doesn't really align. i like the language and style in this poem but i don't think the dirt metaphor is that effective in conveying the idea of having a 'voice'.

yep that's it just clarity in the metaphor :>

Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:19 pm
CotardDelusionz wrote a review...

A very nice poem. The poem was very nice and simple yet detailed at the same time, it provides enough description to visualize it and be taken away by the poem. This poem is unique and it's nice to have stumbled across it. I like how you list the negative things, about the dirt but then come back up with the positive things.

Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:49 pm
SadboyJay wrote a review...

hi i im here to drop off an quick review

so here we go

First off when i first read this poem i im like they made a poem about dirt so actually i im like this poem was so impressive now we here reading about dirt that was good to read a poem like this and also you didn't know that i have a good line about dirt i am dirt.

but there is beauty in it.

i am loud

and obnoxious

and opinionated.

but i have a voice

and i am not afraid to use it. this was actually was good and also now i im like reading stuff about dirt now like i use to not like it

My Compliment is when did you know how to write a poem like this about dirt did you know in thought or you look it up i don't know actually i was just asking you

How you can improve is make poems about flowers on your next one or do roses some people on this site love to read about roses and stuff thats what i im giving you some examples on how to write some good poems

Keep Writing have a good day!! ~jay~

Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind