12+

"Deceiver" | The Lord of the Rings Online | A Fan Trailer's Voice Over Script

by Caerulean

*So I thought of making a rather cinematic fan trailer for The Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO), a game that I play, and I started with writing a quick script for the voice over part. This didn't see much revision so this may look unpolished. Also, this isn't a properly written script and is written more like a poem.

*Link to the fan trailer video here! (*The editing and the voice acting was done by me, but I do not own the video clips and other audio used in this video.)

- - - - - - -

Where do you stand?

Under shades of trees

Over hills of green

Under mountains

Over walls of stone

I ask this question but -

it matters not where you stand.

It matters more which

path you will take

... and if you would take them

Bear your arms

Your swords and your crafts

Your shields and your songs

Bare your feet

and wet them in pools of water and blood

Walk them for miles and leagues beyond count

I will wait in the shadows of your thought

And I know and I see

that which you truly desire

You may know where you stand

but I know that you cannot stand against me

You (all) will be bound to me all the same...

Plume wrote a review...

Hey there! Plume here, with a review!

Wow!! I watched the trailer, and I have to say, it's quite impressive! Even though this is a very informal script, having the actual product to see how the script translated to it helped a lot when reading. Your voiceover was really delightfully dramatic, especially with that reverb effect (have you ever considered a career in voice acting/acting in general? I think you'd kill it) and paired with the musical score behind it? It was so professional! Nice work!! (Also, slight disclaimer: I've never read/seen LotR before, but I do know some stuff about it from the internet/my friends, so if I say anything incorrect, forgive me!)

One thing I do have to say about the actual content of the script: as someone who really loves reading scripts, I was a little disappointed to see that this one wasn't a script in the traditional sense. Like I said before, having the final product really helped, but if I hadn't had the final product, I think it would have been a lot more confusing. This seemed to be a solitary project, but in the future, if you ever do write a script for something where you aren't doing everything, you would probably have to include what visuals the voice-over would correspond to. I've never actually written a script for something of this nature (I mainly do screen+stage, no trailers/music videos where action/visuals correspond to a voice-over) but I imagine it would look something like that, or at least something with visuals included.

I also thought it was a super cool choice to have the narrator be the villain. At the beginning, it seems more like an omniscient narrator, and someone who's not in the game, but then at the end, especially combined with that spooky effect, you start to see that it's really the villain. I thought that was an interesting touch and I really liked how you did that!

Overall: really nice work!! I think you did a great job on your script and the final product, and I hope to read/see more videos and scripts from you!! Until next time!!

Caerulean says...

Thank you so much! :D I really appreciate it!

I totally get what you mean with the script not being professionally formatted, but I'd never really written a professional script before and never looked into it. I just wanted to write something quick for the teaser idea and I was already kinda voice acting it while I was writing it and didn't write down directions for myself in the script. And so when I decided to post it here, I decided to just share it raw as it was.

Concept-wise, I didn't know where I was going with it originally. At first, I wanted to reference the races (Elves, Hobbits, Dwarves, Men, etc.) and the character creation process in the game. And then I wanted to reference the journey players can take. And then, towards the end I was like, what if I shift into apparently being spoken by the villain(s)? And I was so glad I was able to kinda tie it back to the first line of the script, "Where do you stand?" and then the whole outright evil ending.

Anyway, in recent years I've been low-key wanting to get into professional voice acting, but I've never really had the ideal equipment and setup for it. I get a lot of background noise where I live too. I did recently get a small isolation cover thing for the mic, though, which will hopefully help filtering out background noises. By next year, I might start getting into it professionally. *fingers crossed* %uD83D%uDC40 (If you're interested, the raw voice acting audio is linked in the description of the video, and you can hear dogs barking and stuff, haha.)

We'll see about me posting more videos/scripts. %uD83D%uDE05 It was a pretty rare moment of inspiration and impulse. But I do have some ideas saved in my head for the future. [link=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvbhGdmG9cI]I did do something similar in 2019 if you want some more[/link], but it was with a different (worse?) mic and the reverb I put was a little(?) too much. This is also shorter and maybe more vague. On the more positive side, I already had the music in mind when I did this one and so I was able to time this more intentionally than in the other one where I did the voice acting in silence and just looked for a music track from the game after. %uD83D%uDE05

Sorry for the lengthy reply.

Caerulean says...

Sorry for the lengthy reply.

Caerulean says...

(Oof, I keep forgetting how to do url links here and that emojis do not work in post comments/replies. lol Sorry about that mess. Also, I don't know why but my replies keep double-sending, it seems. @_@)

Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:43 pm
PhoenixEmberly wrote a review...

Whoa... This would certainly convince me to buy the game. This brings back memories of watching the Lord of the Rings films with my family. I really liked how each sentence was split up. In game trailers, it's a stylistic choice to do this, as it allows for gameplay shots to be shown between each line. Your style here is very similar, and that's a really good thing.

Caerulean says...

Thank you! I was fairly inspired by Galadriel's prologue in the films~

The game is free, btw, if you're curious. :) And there's currently a promo where you can unlock a lot of content for free.

Caerulean says...

A beautiful funeral doesn't guarantee Heaven.
— Haitian Proverb