Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Mystery / Suspense

12+

LoaMR: Ch.X: Return 2

by MailicedeNamedy

Claire and Emma heard a sinister, mechanical noise while they were standing outside Martha's door. Emma's answer to this metal noise were the large holes in the slope on the opposite bank. Dragons dwell there. Claire didn't know if Emma was serious or joking. Claire was also more concerned with putting a smile on her lips and wondering why Emma had to bring Martha along now, so she forgot about it very fast.

***

There was an eerie aura around the entire property. Undetected, they sneaked in through one of the side windows. The glass was missing, so they could climb in without fuss or splinters. Initially, there was some difficulty, as Emma caught her skirt so that she received a scratch on her left forearm when she fell inside.

They smelled Leonard's presence. Everything was as Emma and Martha remembered it. They searched the ground floor for maybe half an hour, looking for any sign, without success.

There were no clues in the former salon. This was the room Emma most associated with any clues. They rummaged through the books and torn documents. Cryptic signs and languages of past aeons did not help.

While Emma tempted the search, Martha looked through a nothing worth mentioning casket in the bathroom sink. The enchanting scent of lavender and rosemary gathered in purple beads and filled the room with an ode of relaxation.

Claire, meanwhile, despaired of her dexterity as she tried to prise open the door to the attic. Only with a jerk of her shoulder did she land in a tidy, smelly room. The battlements were missing in some places, the wind took it as an invitation and brought a cold air inside. The false floor appeared on missing pieces of carpet. Attentively she lay still, thinking Emma or Martha were coming upstairs.

Where the carpet was missing, Claire reached her hand into the dark holes. She expected to find some old letters next to dead spiders. She had read somewhere, that many people hid them on the roof. Disappointed, she had to dust off her fingers. Afterwards, she found a piece of furniture.

In a sturdy wardrobe, a mirror fell towards her. Startled, Claire dodged it as her dark eyes surprised her. Broken into shards, she could make out notes on what had once been its back.

Gingerly she took it and found no clear help. Rather, it was an old clipping from a newspaper that a pub in Speckern had got a new owner. The advertisement itself was forty, even fifty years old.

When she assumed, she had found something, Martha joined her.

"Did you find anything?" she asked shyly.

"I don't know," Claire answered softly and handed her the ad without mincing words.

"The Schlingen family café," murmured Martha, "It's been closed for years. Uncle made the counters."

"Does it have something to do with Léonard?"

Martha was silent. She was furiously interested in the wardrobe. The reddish-brown coloured wood was unsightly and brittle. Cobwebs hung everywhere. It didn't put up with it much longer.

"Hold me tight, will you?" Martha begged as she staggered inside. With a jerk, she landed a foot lower and jumped out in shock.

"Did you hurt yourself?"

“No," Martha said quickly.

"What were you going to do?"

"My uncle made the cupboard. His initials are there. He always adds them."

Claire no longer understood the world.

"Did he make a wardrobe for this villa?"

"I think it belongs in the café. But how did it get here?" Martha murmured, checking her dress for dirt.

In the mezzanine of the now broken piece of furniture, they found old cigars, an intact liquor bottle without liquor, and a necklace with a photo of an old blind woman on it. Some yellowed letters had been written by a member of the Schlingen family.

Martha no longer made much effort to find something in the cupboard. It had not provided any answers. She wandered back to the stairs to the upper floor, meanwhile, Claire followed her thoughtfully.

Why is the cupboard here? It was before Léonard was born, wasn't it? How old is he anyway... like twenty-five?

Emma brought her back to reality when Claire explained that the attic was unimportant. What the wardrobe of the Schlingen family came here for was beside the point. That was exactly what Claire didn't want to understand. She wanted to find out more about these people.

Her friend reassured her. With a glass of water at Emma´s home, they developed the assumption that Léonard left no traces anywhere. The only thing they possessed was the scant information about him.

With the bells ringing at noon, Martha had the brilliant idea to find out about the Mönchsberg Abbey in Speckern's public library. Claire and Emma both agreed to walk to Speckern and refrained from eating anything.

***

The public library was well attended.

Older ladies and gentlemen enjoyed the newly furnished part, where they scented their detective novels with a cup of tea by an unused fireplace.

Martha's last walk was a few days ago. With a brisk greeting to Mrs Wildt and Hildegard, the three of them (exhausted from the hike) made their way to the non-fiction section after Mrs Wildt reminded Martha that her apprenticeship would not begin for another two days.

With the sheer thousands of tomes about the world, they could hardly know where to start. Emma got excited about the letters in her name, Claire and Martha dug through the rest.

After an hour they had found nothing. Martha felt compelled to ask if there was anything about Mönchsberg Abbey. They found nothing under the letters A, M and even S (Sagauvelian history).

The staff member helped her to find it.

"We should hardly have anything like that at our disposal," explained Hildegard as she ran her fingers over the spines of the books.

"Is it so wide-ranging?"

Martha was disappointed with her library for the first time.

"No. Rather, it is a topic where not much is written about."

"There's not much about them in our schoolbooks either," Emma whispered to Claire.

She agreed, remembering her father as she did so. What was he looking for back then when he became interested in this abbey? She regretted never having dug for it in his records. Surely, Claire would have found something there that would have helped them. Be it a clue about the monastery in Knokenhofen or the connections with Sagauvelian history after the Long War.

The melancholic melody of the piano changed the mood in the library. With an apology, Hildegard left the group while the music continued to touch hearts in the background.

Martha sat down on the rickety wooden gallery.

"We came all the way here for nothing."

“Don´t worry," Emma comforted.

Claire was preoccupied with the piano. She would have loved to go to the player. The music enchanted her aura and awakened the urge to reach back for the violin.

To support the person with the sound of the soul that lay dormant in every violin. In her head, she developed the matching notes to the piano piece and did not notice how she followed the sound. It was precisely this sad melody that gave her the freedom she desired.

Even the most unhappy accumulation of notes meant a puny spark of hope of new passion. The hole of her life seemed void. Claire found new courage when it ended abruptly. The piano stood alone in the room. There was no trace of the player. Only Claire stood next to it, seeing which keys had just moved. United with the sounds of piano and violin. A symphony created to please life, to please even the Goddess. An aria to man.

In her mind, Claire imagined the player, exchanging ideas with him and became the centre of attention again. She almost began to continue her mental conversation as a monologue in the library when her name was called out.

"Claire?"

She winced.

Emma stood behind her and grabbed her shoulder.

"We want to go. Are you coming?"

She nodded briefly.

"Tomorrow we will search the villa again. We haven't found everything yet. I think there is a cellar," she said determinedly.

Claire avoided with the last will to bring one of the many white keys to life.

***

The walk home seemed longer to them.

If they had waited an hour, they could have taken the bus. For Emma, the only way to alleviate this waiting was to trot quickly along the road.

The day ended without really having achieved anything. Emma, frustrated by her aching legs, felt guilty when she told her grandfather why they didn't want to wait for the bus.

Claire was not asleep.

The night went faster than expected. Darkness only plunged into Sehlingen at around eleven p.m. Twilight returned around five a.m. Claire did not like the summer.

It was precisely these sleepless nights and the excessive brightness that displeased her. The shade and cool wind were on her side. Nevertheless, she looked forward to the sun after the winter darkness.

Thoughts flooded into her head. To both ears, lying down, with her eyes closed. Struggling to fall asleep, her brain formed itself into a black world. Lights flashed, tunnels appeared and people, strange and familiar, floated from side to side.

As she was busy with her future, she imagined developing an almost insane relationship again with the fictional character sitting at the piano. She liked him. She created him with all the attributes she liked. Like a doll, she awakened a dead man and breathed life into him.

Two hours. Three hours. Sometime after midnight, she heard the bells. The eerie sounds made her wonder which people were awake at that time.

There are the bakers. Big factories work around the clock. In the mines. On a ship. Travellers. Many people live during the night. Do they enjoy the freedom that society does not give them?

Millions of individuals existed in the world. Claire could not lie idle. Her goal was to continue the story. Excited for tomorrow, she wanted to go straight to the villa and elicit its secrets on her own. Instead, she remained in bed.

It was only with the idea of finding him there, hidden in the attic, that she tore at the fatigue. The last twitches in her legs made her sluggish before the black changed to grey.

***

Everything was forgotten.

The short sleep did its job. Breakfast did the rest. Immediately afterwards they went to Martha, who was waiting eagerly at the front door. Since it was market day, they had to climb through the park over the low wall before they could enter undetected through the already broken window.

Emma and Martha went their separate ways, searching the bookshelves, rummaging between the pages, almost like HePo investigators. The overconfidence made them seemingly forget about trespassing.

Claire was more interested in the cupboard.

Neglecting to think about it, she suddenly stood in front of it. The shards continued to lie on the floor. Dozens of dark blue irises stared at her. They gave her no answer.

The letters left lying around were fascinating. Some were half a century old. The man wrote about his hard work in mining and the constant digging of miles of tunnels. Apparently, his younger sister was the recipient.

Spellbound by the texts of old, Claire couldn't let go. She wanted to know what happened next. In an era when humanity took a giant leap forward when life was hard. Beyond her birth, beyond her father. A world without automobiles, where railways were just being built and steel replaced wood on the water. Where danger lurked everywhere, on unknown islets and islands, where beasts lived, on continents as unexplored as the No Man's Land.

Revelling in invented memories, she wanted to know more about that time. Then a brown paper sailed down between all the envelopes.

* I´m coming to Melaten soon

A murder has taken place

Residents believe I did it *

She got the almost illegible writing deciphered.

Did the person send it as a telegram? Melaten...

Absorbed in the note, she sat down on the floor and cut herself on a shard with her left hand. With a faint cry of shock, she stood on her feet, a wound bleeding on the inner surface.

She took several breaths before carefully taking the stairs down. Without saying anything to the two, she looked for a bandage. The bathroom didn't have much left, she found some singed cotton, which helped.

"There's nothing here."

Martha was standing at the door.

"I was already looking here yesterday."

"I found something."

"Really?"

Claire nodded happily.

"I left it in the attic."

"Then why are you in the bathroom?"

"Not that important."

Martha did not hear her. She called Emma over to them. With bouncing laughter, she flew up behind Claire and snatched the note from her.

"This has something to do with Léonard?"

"Melaten," Martha spoke, "What is it?"

"I don't know. But it must be from someone other than this Hubert Schlingen. It's a different script,” explained Claire.

Emma grinned as she emerged.

Her face could not withstand that big grin. With a cheer, she almost plunged Claire into the shards.

"This is definitely something! A murder has taken place! Is this person alluding to great grandfather´s death? Then the note belongs to Léonard's ancestor! Would that be his grandfather? “

Martha jumped and sang with her and only casually asked if Léonard was now also living at Melaten.

"I don't know what that is. I've never heard the word before. A city?" Emma guessed.

***

Martha's brilliant idea to travel to the library again was agreed to. This time they used the bus that passed Sehlingen shortly after ten a.m.

Claire managed to hide her hand as best she could. The clot had calmed down and the removal of the cotton meant that her hand was a little sticky and resembled a bloody stuffed animal hand whose stuffing you wanted to remove.

The disadvantage of today was not knowing who, what or where the Melaten was. The name did not sound properly Sagauvelish at all, but more Weißbergish. Since none of them knew the language, they had to try to look for it in different departments.

Still separated, they scoured the foliage for new insights. Claire found herself an obstacle. She didn't want to touch a book with her dirty hand.

After a good hour, Martha found something. Unfortunately, she had misread it when she ran to Emma with a giggle and introduced her to the tiny Melaten moth.

Only when the librarian inquired what they were looking for did they get an answer. Mrs Wildt's laughter was reminiscent of that of a child. The ignorance of the three young women aroused her curiosity and her duty as an old lady to banish stupidity.

"Firstly, it's pronounced Meh-lah-ten,” she chortled gleefully, "Secondly, you won't find anything. It's an old-time tale."

Emma's eyes sparkled at her.

"Please tell us!" Martha begged.

She cleared her throat and put on a witch's face.

"In the past, when naughty children disobeyed parents and teachers, they were taken by them to a large, dark forest where they were abandoned. They were given a single piece of bread and had to find their way out of the forest. But the forest was cursed and so every child came to Melkten.

It was a big, evil castle where the owner, a scary human monster, lived, who kept the children in the rotten cellar and fattened them up with food until they were round enough that they almost didn't fit in the oven. Then they were roasted alive and eaten by the monster. Sometimes, when the children almost managed to get out of the forest, the monster would emerge from the castle and chase them. There the monster would eat them alive."

Emma was the only one who made a horrified face. Martha felt transported to her adventure novels and at the same time wanted to fight the monster. Claire also wanted to know what this legend was all about.

"It's a tale from Freiberg that they've been telling children there for centuries," Mrs Wildt said, "I first heard it in the military hospital from a wounded soldier who came from there."

"Where is this Freiberg?" said Martha excitedly. “Is it far away?”

"South of the Kahlbruck Plateau," the old lady replied, "Erlenbrunnen is right next to it, a closed city."

To X.3.

Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:52 am

First Impression: OKayyy...this I think was a much better part and I genuinely enjoyed these three going on a bit of mystery solving almost. For a story in that category we've spent a lot of time getting mystified rather than having active mystery solving, so this is really good to see. Also it appears there are some interesting clues slowly surfacing now. :D

Okayy...interesting segment to start things off...I wonder if that's going to set the tone for how this chapter in general might go. The villa is sure to contain some mysterious and interesting things, probably not a dragon, but you never quite know with Léonard..

Uhh...that's interesting. I mean Léonard didn't spend more than week here by my estimates and it has been maybe almost a month since Léonard left, so to suggest that his scent, at a level that is recognizably would linger here, that's quite interesting. Well the villa is already throwing up a few interesting surprises here to start off with. Let's see where this ends up going.

Okayy...well it looks like they're just kind of going around rummaging about the place. Hopefully no one is going to catch them having gone in there and they aren't going to end up getting themselves in some sort of serious trouble because that would certainly be quite bad here.

"Did you hurt yourself?"

“No," Martha said quickly.

"What were you going to do?"

Claire no longer understood the world.

Alright, the study of old furniture continues, except now we have a mention of this uncle figure from earlier...who's works seems to have found its way to the mansion as well, probably well before the whole controversy, but well that could be an interesting detail...maybe.

Okayy....so the villa closes out with no real leads of any kind whatsoever. I have to say I'm slightly disappointed. I expected them to find something with all the little extra easter eggs being scattered about it, but well, perhaps this library can reveal some interesting things.

I mean, I don't suppose the Abbey would have made a novel saying something like "A Complete Guide to our Totally Secret Society: Off the Record Interviews Included" so this is going to be a very tough task especially in what looks to be a truly massive library. But I suppose its a logical step to try and take here.

Piano lady is back? I don't know, but it is interesting, I'm going to try and maybe keep an eye in the case of a easy to spot clue, but I do think I don't remember enough to spot the most hidden clues in this piece.

OKayy....alright, this is an interesting point for Claire to space out at all of a sudden, but I do distinctly remember her lack of time with the violin being brought up a couple of times before so this is a nice little pay off to all of that which we had going on over there.

The walk home seemed longer to them.

Claire was not asleep.

Hmm, I think this is good. I did expect them to find something before the day was out, but them doing all of that and it amounting to nothing in the end is actually a lovely touch of the real world coming in there, cause oftentime you don't really succeed on the first try like that, so to see that the girls are planning on keeping at it is the more encouraging sign here.

OH dear...Claire really has quite a troubled mind doesn't she. And I suppose the events of the past few days have both simultaneously helped ease her mind and then increase this unease even further.

Everything was forgotten.

Okay, so we're diving back into this after a bit of Claire's troubled thoughts an aspirations there. Her emotions are certainly among the most fleshed out ones in the story, and we're really seeing some interesting twists and turns going on there...and, well anyway we know get back into the searching part of things. I like how the three friends end up going in different ways here to search as well, perhaps having formed their own opinions on the best place to look by this point.

OKayy...I guess this is maybe now going to be the moment at which something of interest is found. Claire can't have started reading all of these old letters just out of curiosity, I suspect this is a setup for something more here.

"There's nothing here."

Martha was standing at the door.

OKayy....that's an interesting way to draw attention away from her discovery there. We've got something that sounds like it could perhaps means something and then boom she just happens to get a cut and has to rush off to the bathroom. Hopefully that place is at least functional and somewhat hygienic, even though the latter seems rather unlikely.

"Then why are you in the bathroom?"

"Not that important."

"Melaten," Martha spoke, "What is it?"

Emma grinned as she emerged.

Okayy...well this is cool. Well...a cut on her hand being totally overlooked by her friends in their excitement to track down Léonard is not something I like to see especially with Claire also seemingly not too focused on it, but them finding a lead and trying to figure out how to follow up on it is pretty exciting here.

OKay, back to the library it is I suppose, this time with probably a bit more of a sense of what they need to find and how. I'm also now a bit worried about that cut and the repercussion it could have. I assumed it was a fairly harmless one given how it was mostly ignored, but that description suggests that its perhaps not the most harmless of cuts there.

Emma's eyes sparkled at her.

"Please tell us!" Martha begged.

Okayy...so that looks like some kind of old fairly tale of sorts, and perhaps this note is written in some form of code there. It would certainly make sense with the kind of dealings going on in that villa. It doesn't make sense for these folks to be using real names of real locations too openly.

Okayy....well, the reactions from the trio are...interesting to say the least, especially how Martha and Claire both seem to want to fight this creature for some reason, and I though Emma was supposed to be the most naive one. Well anyway, it looks like maybe these three picked up on the detail of that town possible being what this note was referring to, and its a good point to end on here. :D

Overall: Overall, I think I like the direction this took at least. Even though I don't like how the main motivations here switched from the future of Emma and Claire to locating Léonard, this was quite a fun scene and it brought out some more interesting details here. :D

Thank you for the review! :D

Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:54 am
RandomTalks wrote a review...

Hey Mailice!

A little late with the review, but in my defense school has been killing me with assignments and exams.

Now, let's get on with the review!

This was an interesting continuation in the sense that we are still following Emma and Claire and now Martha, as they try to piece together the mystery that is Leonard. To be honest, Leonard is the kind of man who wears different masks at different times and situations, so I am not sure what they are expecting to find, but Leonard is definitely not the kind of man who leaves anything that can be traced back to him. He is almost paranoid about these things. So I was impressed with whatever little thing they managed to find. I am not sure exactly how it fits into the bigger picture, but the broken glass, the cupboard, the note - all of these little things mean something.

As for the note, there can be so many interpretations. Anyone could have written it - Leonard to Monique, His great grandfather to someone when the murder first took place. It is vague and cryptic and does not really tell us anything except for that name in the end of the note - Melaten. The note was a great way to capture the readers' interest and keeping them hooked with these little reveals without really telling them anything about what is going on. I personally also enjoyed the little folklore you added here - it seemed to me like a twisted version of Hansel and Gretel, but it piques our interest nevertheless. I cannot decide if the writer of the note mentioned the name Melaten as a metaphor of some kind or if he was indirectly trying to refer to Freiberg or the closed city mentioned near the very end. These are the kinds of things that gain heavy importance at some point in the story, but I like how you have veiled this entire hunt for answers in mystery.

Specifics:

Claire was also more concerned with putting a smile on her lips and wondering why Emma had to bring Martha along now,

In the previous part, I got the feeling that Claire has not taken much to Martha. And to be honest, Claire is not the kind of person who takes to new people that easily. And maybe because Emma has spoken so much about the both of them to each other, she has grown even more wary of what to expect from Martha and what Martha already knows about her. In the previous part, I also got the feeling that she is a little intimidated by her friendship with Emma. I might be reading to much in between the lines here though. Anyways, despite her wariness, she maintains an almost cordial sort of distance from Martha throughout this part. She keeps the exchanges short in a way that is not obvious, and I was impressed by that because honestly, I had thought she would become uncomfortable and sink back into the world inside her head.

As she was busy with her future, she imagined developing an almost insane relationship again with the fictional character sitting at the piano.

It is always a little difficult to follow Claire's thoughts when she gets lost inside her mind, but is always so fascinating to draw connections to her imaginings with real life. And the funny things is, often they have no source, no origin. For example, we knew that Claire is fond of music. We have seen her enter a different world when she is playing her violin so it is not surprising that the piano in the library would have drawn her in. But she does not dream about the music. No, she dreams about the fictional character who was playing the piano - and its not even the real person, because I am sure she had blotted that part out when it was really happening. She was fascinated with the music, and in turn, with the music maker. It makes me wonder how many opportunities she had missed in real life just because she had been busy making up stories in the world inside her head.

This was an interesting chapter. We moved forward a little with the plot, even though we cannot really place these developments until we get a clearer idea of how it fits into the bigger picture.

That's all!

Keep writing and have a great day!

Until next time!

Thank you for your review! :D

Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:20 am
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Hey!! Forever here with a tiny review!

The plot moved forward quite a bit in this part. Sinister mechanical noise. This was quite an interesting phrase but it was ignored by the characters which makes me wonder about it even more. Obviously, dragons don't dwell there, rationally speaking. However, I do think that this can be if quite importance in the upcoming parts as this was a bit of clear mention. If it is indeed significant, I would suggest to make the paragraph a bit longer and don't mention it so directly.

Another casket we have here. I might not be an important casket but still it intrigues the reader it finf out more about it and unfortunately, it was ignored. Maybe ot did have something important but I don't think so, considering it was in the bathroom sink.

Now the Schlingen family café. If I am not wrong, we haven't got any mention of this cafe before. Maybe the owner of this cafe has something to do with the murder. Also, I wonder whom the mirror actually belongs to. It can be of the Schlingen family and the new owner can be someone of this family or maybe someone outside the family that enraged the family members. Something like this happened, I guess. However, the main concern is with the fact how things that belonged to the cafe came here. Leonard took them or most probably, Leonard's grandfather took them here. Or maybe this house belonged to the Schlingen(this is the worst guess ever).

We don't know much about the history of this abbey except the fact that it was banned. Now, I wonder why no one wrote about the abbey. I do think that at a time, this abbey was quite well known to people. So, I guess this abbey was kind of threatening that forced people not to write things about it. That can be something or maybe the books written in detail were banned for reasons and no one speaks about it.

We saw two similarities between Claire and Leonard. The first one being they like darkness. And the second one is they both wear façade. If I am not wrong, we saw other similarities too between them in the previous chapters. I wonder if all these similarities have a purpose. Seems so.

Okay now the person at the piano. Someone was actually there at the first place. Perhaps, they woke up from there and went somewhere else and Claire didn't notice that as she was immersed in her ocean of thoughts and imaginations. That can be a case. There are a few things which can take her into a trance. Music is one of them and also that portrait or drawing ir sketch or ah, again I have forgotten what it exactly was....

So, Leonard's grandfather worked in mines. A good information. I liked how Claire got the letter by luck. This Melaten is quite an interesting place. Giving it's pronunciation was quite an inteeligent thing to do. Now we have tales entering the story. Earlier too, we saw the importance of these tales. So, this one can be quite important. This monster definitely didn't exist in reality. However, as Emma told of the dragons which too didn't exist, I think they have a connection in between which will be significant later. Okay, if we go with the fantasy, the grandfather is dead. And if we don't go with the fantasy, there are scant chances of survival considering what his age would be at the moment.

I do have a feeling that the mysteries will soon be solved. Let's see.

Keep Writing!!

~Forever

Thank you for your review! :D

"You may deem me romantic, my dear sister, but I bitterly feel the want of a friend."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein