z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Depths Of the Sea

by Waterthrush


Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like to sit at the bottom of the sea.

In the very deepest ravine, forever untouched by the light of the sun, I would lay myself. A place utterly foreign to the touch of mankind, save the ancient bones of long-shipwrecked sailors, their former bodies eroded by the cruel water. Unimaginable creatures, ones who have never known the light and land, only the all-consuming darkness and the scent of their prey, would glide past me. It would be cold, too cold for any human to survive, but I would not feel it. Every part of my body would be surrounded by the water, and it would fill my mouth and throat and lungs, but I would not drown. I would not fear, but know the water as part of myself.

I would sit for centuries, until everyone I ever knew was dead, along with their ancestors, until my name has been uttered for the last time and the world has forgotten me. Then, finally, the sea would claim me as its own, as my body turns to stone and my bones are covered in algae.

The sea has been here since far before we were, and will be here for long after, its eternal depths unaffected by the follies of land. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
173 Reviews


Points: 6975
Reviews: 173

Donate
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:58 am
AilahEvelynMae says...



Hi there, Ellie-Mae here for a quick review!

Wishing you a happy day/evening/morning/night/whatever is applicable to your part of the world! First off, please remember that my reviews are my own opinions :) I’ll give honest feedback, but nothing at all is intended to hurt or discourage you in any way at all! <3 So, without waiting any longer, let’s get right into it and digest the spectabulous piece of literary work!

I love this! it is incredibly amazing and descriptive. it makes me feel peaceful as I read, like something I wish I could actually do :)

Ellie-mae




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 178
Reviews: 7

Donate
Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:46 pm
Katem_277 wrote a review...



Hi! First of all I just want to say that I love the concept!

The poem itself is beautiful and incredibly soothing. You do an amazing job at painting a picture in the readers mind.

"I would sit for centuries, until everyone I ever knew was dead, along with their ancestors, until my name has been uttered for the last time and the world has forgotten me. Then, finally, the sea would claim me as its own, as my body turns to stone and my bones are covered in algae"

I cannot express in words how much I loved this part. Your writing is amazing, keep it up :)




Waterthrush says...


Thank you so much!!!



User avatar
39 Reviews


Points: 1524
Reviews: 39

Donate
Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:04 pm
HikariHateke says...



As a Ninjago fan this low-key hurt me lol.

but also filled me with wonder!

"I would sit for centuries, until everyone I ever knew was dead, along with their ancestors, until my name has been uttered for the last time and the world has forgotten me. Then, finally, the sea would claim me as its own, as my body turns to stone and my bones are covered in algae."

oh I loved this! The way you word this really gives me a new perspective, your perspective.

This entire work is amazing honestly!




Waterthrush says...


I don't know anything about Ninjago, how does it relate? Thank you so much!!



HikariHateke says...


One of the characters with water powers recently kinda turned into the sea (it's hard to explain) and now everyone is sad cuz it's like she's dead but not (cuz she kinda merged with a water spirit i think? Again hard to explain lol) welcome

and sorry meant to leave that as a review (but I'm still new so I'm figuring it all out heh) and your welcome!



Waterthrush says...


Oh I see, cool!!



User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 181
Reviews: 15

Donate
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:42 pm
Rodionandaxe wrote a review...



Hello! I am here to leave a little review,

This is beautiful. It's the kind of poem I would like someone to read to me in a soothing voice while I close my eyes and lose myself in the world that you have described.

forever untouched by the light of the sun

There is something so pure about this. A darkness undisturbed and alone.

It would be cold, too cold for any human to survive, but I would not feel it. Every part of my body would be surrounded by the water, and it would fill my mouth and throat and lungs, but I would not drown. I would not fear, but know the water as part of myself.

I absolutely love this part. I don't know how to swim but I have always loved the sea and have wanted to experience it more than just standing at the beach. The vivid description that you've given makes one yearn to experience such bliss.

Towards the end the narrator seems content in losing themselves to the sea, in belonging entirely to sea with no trace left of themselves anywhere else. This is such an eerie but mystical moment and its so well described. It makes me wonder of how one's soul isn't entirely just the body but is much more vast and permanent.

The ending is fitting, with the appreciation of the sea and praise of its purity. It is almost as if the narrator finds the land a villain and the sea a mighty being nowhere comparable to land's feebleness.

The best part about it all was the imagery. I love poems that can paint beautiful pictures in my head and this one certainly did.

See you around and keep up the good work :)




Waterthrush says...


Thank you so much for the detailed review!! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)



User avatar
173 Reviews


Points: 6975
Reviews: 173

Donate
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:23 am
AilahEvelynMae says...



That is so very lovely! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

It was very well written. I love how detailed you were. Your choice of words is stunning- honestly one of the most descriptive pieces of writing I have ever read before. I also love how you are able to express your emotions . The simple “I would” statements are powerful and they really stood out to me :)

Have an amazing day!
-Ailah




Waterthrush says...


Wow, thank you so much!!



User avatar
173 Reviews


Points: 6975
Reviews: 173

Donate
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:23 am
AilahEvelynMae wrote a review...



That is so very lovely! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

It was very well written. I love how detailed you were. Your choice of words is stunning- honestly one of the most descriptive pieces of writing I have ever read before. I also love how you are able to express your emotions . The simple “I would” statements are powerful and they really stood out to me :)

Have an amazing day!
-Ailah




Waterthrush says...


Thank you!!




This looks like a really bad episode of Green Acres.
— David Letterman