z

Young Writers Society



To Those Who Ruthlessly Bullied Me, Thank You

by SalemReine


To those who ruthlessly bullied me,

Thank you.

You have taught me many life lessons I never would have learned without feeling completely alone.

So, thank you.

I can spot emotional manipulation from a mile away.

It's amazing how many people want to use you for their own purposes.

So, thank you.

Thank you for not RSVP'ing to my tenth birthday party.

It was one of the best days of my life!

Maybe you thought you were hurting me by not showing up, 

but you would have ruined it.

So, thank you.

Thank you for being inhuman to the disabled and mentally ill.

You have given me a passion for equal rights and I will never stop screaming until my voice is heard.

So, thank you.

Thank you to my teachers who wouldn't follow my IEP.

I'm homeschooled now.

I am taking college classes instead of high school.

So, thank you.

Thank you to those "friends" who just wanted money or things or someone to gossip about.

I have learned how not to be a friend.

I have learned how to make good friendships.

I have learned to recognize my true friends.

So, thank you.

Thank you to those who spread those rumors.

I have grown a thousand layers of armor,

impenetrable to the likes of you.

So, thank you.

Thank you.

I will never forget these lessons,

keeping them close to my chest,

forging weapons, creating shields.

But to those who are coming, who are here.

Who seek to harm me.

Who think I am just another deer to the dragon.

I am the dragon.

I have learned my lessons from the best teachers.

I have been preparing for you,

building and molding and growing for you.

And my patience has run out.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
21 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 21

Donate

User avatar
45 Reviews


Points: 69
Reviews: 45

Donate
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:15 am
View Likes
rida wrote a review...



‘Ello, fellow poet! ‘Tis I, another fellow poet with a review!
Greetings of the day to you, (and that includes a very merry Christmas in July!)

I saw this poem, read it and L O V E D it!

It really spoke very strongly about how everything might have a bright side, about how experiences leave lessons and marks in us! It spoke a lot about getting up after falling down, more stronger than ever.
As someone who is absolutely terrified of bullying, and was also once bullied, I loved this poem!

The only critic I found in this poem was that you could split it into stanzas, like over here:
“ You have taught me many life lessons I never would have learned without feeling completely alone.

So, thank you.

I can spot emotional manipulation from a mile away.”

You can add maybe a ~ after ‘thank you.’




Anyways, I loved this poem, you’re a talented poet!
Keep writing!l
-@rida




User avatar
701 Reviews


Points: 49988
Reviews: 701

Donate
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:44 pm
View Likes
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...



Heyyyyyy! Forever here for a review!!
I have just spotted a single mistake or you can say it's just a suggestion from me:

You have taught me many life lessons I never would have learned without feeling completely alone

Maybe put a 'that' in between lessons and I. Put it only if it feels right in your eyes. I am a bit judgemdntal about 'that'...
Overall, it was just fantastic. You used a good sarcastic sort of tone in your poem that left me dumbstruck at the beauty of it. And yes, of course, you delivered a powerful message through your poem... Like how every person in the World teaches us something, be it in a good or a bad way. Everything is a teaching if a person can understand.
Keep writing!
~Forever




User avatar
41 Reviews


Points: 61
Reviews: 41

Donate
Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:22 pm
View Likes
RealSadhours296 wrote a review...



Really loved this poem. It's relatable to me in a lot of ways!

When I was younger, my mom always said that God does things for a reason...I don't believe that specific narrative, but I do feel that every once and a while, something that may seem horrible will prove beneficial in the future in some form.

That doesn't excuse the pain, but its is an explanation in a sense. That's what your poem here reminds me of. The most horrid of things that happen to us make us stronger, and give us more impenetrable barriers.

I especially like the deer and the dragon analogy at the end. What was once an innocent deer has been taken advantage of one too many times, and has molted into a dragon that will not tolerate your toxicity.

Keep up the good work!




User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 1763
Reviews: 60

Donate
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:39 am
View Likes
LizzyTyler says...



Wow. That left me speechless. That was incredibly powerful. Thank you for that. I think everyone needs a little bit of this poem in their day.




User avatar
49 Reviews


Points: 193
Reviews: 49

Donate
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:37 am
View Likes
TheWordsOfWolf wrote a review...



Hi, hello, greetings, good morning, good morning, good evening, good afternoon and good night, as well as all the other things you wish to be wished. anyway wolf here to review your beautiful poem.
how the hexagon does this have no reviews what wrong with people?! oh well suppose i will be the first, any way. I love the sarcasm you use. I also love how you show how what they intended for evil you managed to turn into something good.
my favorite bit has to be the last five lines, they're so powerful and dramatic like a declaration of battle.
one suggestion i have is that you add in a bit more after the first "thank you" maybe something like
really, thank you so much
and then on the line "You've taught me many lessons I never would have learned without feeling completely alone." it is fine the way it is although it might be good to reword it.
in closing remarks I love the battle cry that this seems to be it makes me want to take up my sword against those you tried to mentally ruin me.
of course listen to only what you find helpful and ignore the rest.
as always, may the force be with you and beware the trees

yours truly,
Wolf





Let the wild rumpus start!
— Maurice Sendak