Home » Literary works » Short Story » Action / Adventure

12+

That One Time We Technically Became Pirates Part 1

by HarryHardy

A/N: This is part of a random series of shorts I occasionally write based on this one team of heroes called the Alpha Pack, often with them just in very random crazy situations. This one features the team's captain, Harry, a very powerful celestial, Vankous, the team's designated sorcerer who happens to be extremely good at his job, Winn, the teams interdimensional teleportation expert who's also well versed in the control and manipulation of ice and James, who's one of the teams two technical experts.

*******

"Aaaaaarghhh," said James, as the stupid chains he was tied up in pricked him on the arm yet another time. This was really starting to get annoying. He was currently chained to the wall of the largest cell inside a pirate ship called "The Pillager". It wasn't a particularly catchy name. Apparently pirates were quite bad when it came to naming things. The cell he was in was quite unsanitary too, the floor looking like it had a good decade's worth of rubbish all piled up in there. Pirates were also quite bad at cleaning.

Three sides of the cell was surrounded in rusted iron bars and the one wall, which was the one he was chained to was made of rotting oak wood, with just a tiny porthole to provide some light to the place, thanks to it currently being somewhere around noon outside or at least it had been around noon when they'd been locked down here. That had been at least a couple of hours ago.

In the darkness, he couldn't make out anything beyond his cell, it was all a dark and very smelly void. Inside the cell however, he could make out the chained up forms of his three teammates. They didn't look nearly as annoyed as he did, which annoyed him even further.

"Khaos, quit whining please," said Vankous, "we'll be out of here really soon."

James huffed. (Khaos was his code name) "Easy for you to say Cerebro (Vankous' code name), you're not even touching these stupid chains."

"Magic is useful," said Vankous, "I can't do anything about that."

"You could've cast the same spell on me," said James.

"But what's the fun in that?" said Vankous.

"Oh jeez you two," said Winn, (code name Icycle), "can you stay five minutes without starting a new argument. I swear you two argue more than the stupid pirates that brought us down here."

"Oh please, we don't argue that much," shot back Vankous.

"I sense the beginning of yet another argument, "chimed in Harry (code name The Darkness). "So I suggest you all shut up, and we wait for the signal quietly."

"But it's boring," said Vankous, "arguing is the only way to pass the time in this stupid prison."

"Dude, it's a brig, not a prison," said Harry.

"Wait, isn't brig a type of ship?" asked Winn.

"Yes, but it's also the term for a prison on a warship," said Harry.

"Now look who's arguing, " said Vankous.

"He's not wrong," said James.

"Okay, everyone shut up," said Harry, "we have literally less than a minute now. I want complete silence."

"Good luck with that on a pirate ship out at sea," said Vankous.

"Shush," said Harry.

James shook his head as silence fell over them once again. They'd soon be out of the the stupid prison or brig or whatever it was called. Why they had all voted yes to the stupid plan where they all had to be captured by the pirates was beyond him. He was never going to agree to a get captured and attack from the inside plan ever again.

"Okay, slowly get out of your chains in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, now," ordered Harry as he stepped away from the wall as if the chains weren't even there, the wrought iron tearing like tissue paper in his hands as he took off his cuffs. Vankous was concentrating and soon the chains were unlocking and flying off of him.

Ice was rapidly spreading across Winn's chains and soon he was breaking his way out as the freezing caused the iron to crack and deform. James however, was still chained owing to the small fact that he didn't have any powers.

"You guys mind?" he said, raising his eyebrows.

"Oh, whoops, sorry," said Harry as he walked towards him. Harry quickly ripped the chains off of him and James landed on the floor in a heap. He got up and massaged his joints, trying to get blood to flow back into them.

"Let's move," said Harry.

"Wait a minute," said James, "some of us are human and actually need a breather after being chained up for two hours."

"I meant, let's take five everybody, and then we shall storm the deck," said Harry.

"So, we're actually just gonna storm the deck and improvise?" asked Winn, "no other details to the plan whatsoever?"

"How many missions are you going to be a part of before you realize we never have a plan of escape besides just improvising?" said Vankous, "get with the program already."

"Well...as long as I don't end up inside a bathroom or something," said Winn, with a chuckle.

Harry and Vankous exchanged a concerned look.

"Noted," chorused the two, a little too fast.

It was time for James and Winn to exchange a look.

"That was strange," said Winn.

"Let's not worry about it too much," said James with a shrug.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:41 am
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Forever here with a review!!

I liked the idea of writing a series of stories on these characters. They are really fun. I just wonder if you could include all the details you gave on the top of the story in the story itself. It would be more dynamic then. The story is the main thing, after all. Anyway, let's get right into it.

First of all, the title is the most interesting and it seems pretty much the opposite of what is there in the story. In the story we see that the main characters are intentionally captured by the pirates and in the title, if I am not wrong that "we" refers to the main characters. So, pretty much the opposite but I guess we that will be clearer in the next chapter.

The story itself was quite interesting. Why didn't you put it under humor? This was so humorous.

I feel pity for James on one hand but I can't really help but laugh at his thoughts. in the last story, I didn't associate him with a very funny character but he seems to be extraordinarily funny. James should know that Pirates are only good at cleaning and nothing else. In the second paragraph, the first sentence is veryyy long if you see. I would just suggest to break it into smaller ones and more understandable ones as I had to read the sentence three times to comprehend its actual meaning. Captured by Pirates is not at all a good thing for him.

Well, so we have code names here. I wonder about why they are actually using code names. First of all, I assume that the pirates are not able to hear them because if they could here them, I really doubt they would have allowed them to talk after hearing that their prisoners are planning to escape and are quite confident about it. I am quite eager to know the reason and also what has the Pirates got to do about their names? They don't really rob people by their names... Oh poor James, they are definitely being not-so-helpful to him. Bad friends.

Yes, I support James to the highest degree possible. James is a part of their team and I guess it should be the duty of a team member to help the other one when in need. This Winn is a new member to the group, he wasn't there in the day off or maybe he didn't get the day off. And do pirates argue? What's the matter they argue on? Definitely an interesting thing. I have gotta find it out.

"He's not wrong," said James.

"Shush," said Harry.

Signal. I am quite excited to know about their goal, maybe to fight with the pirates on the ship and well, I do get a different type of vibe here about the title. Maybe they are going to rob everything in the ship of the pirates. I am not a big fan of Vankous' personality. Literally, arguing is the only way... I guess they don't get tired.

I do sometimes wonder why they didn't get rid of the chains earlier. Because of the Pirates? They could come or what...If the Pirates had heard them or maybe seen them doing all these, I am quite sure something would have happened to the Pirates. About the power of Vankous, it seems like concentration is the key to his powers. I used to think that people who concentrate a lot argue less, but apparently, I was wrong.

"Let's move," said Harry.

Wait a minute... Isn't this Winns a substitute of Stean in A day off? Stean also had the same sort of power. This some of us makes me wonder about the second human of the group. At the moment, there is no second human present, maybe the human is at work somewhere else. James' character seems to be the best here, I know he doesn't have powers and stuffs, but he is quite funny, the funniest of all in fact.

"That was strange," said Winn.

Well, I hope they don't up somewhere wrong or Vankous is gonna give a good lecture to Winn. I don't what there mission is but still, something which will be very unsafe for James and thus normal human beings.

I will get to the next part soon.

Keep Writing!!

~Forever

HarryHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!!

xD....I thought it wasn't funny enough to put it in the humor category :D

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:57 pm
eleboy wrote a review...

fun story, I'm also working on a series that has characters in different situations in my case three groups travel to other dimensions one a hero organization one evil organization, and one mash-up of individuals that don't work as a single unit.

I'm not good with reviews. fun banter will read the next part.

my favorite part is "But what's the fun in that?" when your a wizard with powerful magic you got to know when not to use it for your own amusement of course.

HarryHardy says...

Thank youu!

Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:16 am

Hi HarryHardy,

With a title where you read pirates, you have to start reading right away. Pirate stories are always interesting and worth reading. You manage to build up an extraordinary arc already in this first part, which makes the reader curious for the sequel.

What I like is how there is a change in the story where you start with the names of the characters and then you switch to the code names. I don't know why, but it gives the characters more charisma. Your dialogues also evoke that reading flow again like in your story about the bathroom war technique. They are good, dynamic and complement each other with the comments of each character.

The narrator of the story also has his own opinion, which I like and gives the story a new tone, besides the characters already shine with sarcasm and narrow-mindedness. For Part 1, I find it a good start to begin in the middle of the plot and with the promising title, I am also very curious to see what will happen next and how the counterattack will go.

Other points I noticed while reading:

It wasn't a particularly catchy name. Apparently pirates were quite bad when it came to naming things. The cell he was in was quite unsanitary too, the floor looking like it had a good decade's worth of rubbish all piled up in there. Pirates were also quite bad at cleaning.

I think it's very funny how the story starts and how you manage to portray two rather stereotypical characteristics of pirates not so stereotypically, but with a bit of humour and a portion of thoughtfulness.

Three sides of the cell was surrounded in rusted iron bars and the one wall, which was the one he was chained to was made of red oak wood, with just a tiny porthole to provide some light to the place, thanks to it currently being somewhere around noon outside or at least it had been around noon when they'd been locked down here.

I was actually just going to note here that "was" needs to be changed to "were" at the beginning, then I suddenly realised how huge this sentence is and think you can break it up into smaller sentences just fine. :D Otherwise, it's a good description!

In the darkness, he couldn't make out anything beyond his cell, it was all a dark and very smelly void.

I would remove the "all" here, because with "anything" you already give a certain description that you mean everything beyond the cell.

"can you stay five minutes without starting a new argument. I swear you two argue more than the stupid pirates that brought us down here."
I like how you manage to keep the humour here despite the seriousness of the situation.

"Okay, slowly get out of your chains in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, now,"

I would write out the countdown here instead of the digits remaining digits.

It was a funny little story with humour and fun. She has good charisma and also think she has some excellent dialogue.

HarryHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!! :D

Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:28 am

Hey HarryHardy !

I hope you're doing well.

I title got me hooked like a fish .

I wait to read the series coming ...patiently !

I hope to see some character development .

Great ,great job !

HarryHardy says...

Thank youu!!

Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:48 pm
Elinor wrote a review...

Hey HarryHardy!

I hope you're doing well. I saw this sitting in the Green Room and thought that I would drop by to give it a quick review. Firstly, thank you for your sharing your piece with us. I wanted to say that I really enjoyed reading it.

I know you described in the opening that these are a set of characters that you use in various shorts. It definitely had that episodic/anthology feel, and I guess I was curious as to what your aim with this piece was.

I was hoping that it would start with more of bang that would get us into the story. I can tell you've invested a lot of time in your characters, and I wanted to see more of the world that we were in. It felt like a unique one that I only caught glimpses of.

Anyway, I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

All the best,
Elinor

HarryHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!!

Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:47 pm

Hey! It's me FlamingPhoenix! I thought I was high time for me to have a reaction review to one of your works! :D Hope you don't mind! Lol

I haven't read your main story yet, but I thought this would be a good way for me to see if I'll like it or not, and well I am going to have to check it out! I just love these characters!
Anyway let's get started with the review!

Is it bad that this part made me laugh, I mean poor James I feel sorry for him, but I thought it was really funny. I've never thought pirates were bad at coming up with names and keeping things clean, though maybe that only in this story.
Feel free to correct me.
I would also like to note that your description is really good! This really got me stuck into this chapter, I have a thing with liking stories that have great descriptions for openings.

*sigh* Yet another great description, this one even better than the last, just when I would you couldn't out do yourself. ;)

Poor James. This makes me wonder though. How come the others aren't worried or annoyed like he is? I guess I'll have to find out.
I love the way your do your description, its so good!

I like it that you let us know about the code names, with out them I think I might be a little confused when ever you use them then use the real name. XD
Oh why isn't Cerebro touching the chains?

Oh magic! That's helpful.
Hahaha, this is really starting to sound my sibling and I's relationship. Just can't help but annoy one another to death.
Might I add I just long Vankous' personality! I think I might like him the most.

Ah I guess I can now see who is one of that smarter ones of the group. Lol Good to know. Winn acts a little like a parent with them, or maybe an older sibling. Anyway I like that someone is responsible.
Yup I just love Vankous. He reminds me just a little of Mikel from my story.

"He's not wrong," said James.

"Shush," said Harry.

Ah and Harry makes his big entrance, and shows some real leadership attitude. Is it just me or are Winn and Harry also to arguing type? They seem to but heads, unless that was just this time?
What did Harry mean by one minute now? Is something about to happen?

OH okay this explains a lot about he group and why they are where they are. XD I did not see this coming. I mean who in their right of mind would get themselves in that kind of situation? Well other than them.
Though I am on James side on this one, they are crazy!

A very effective escape, and very handy. Though James yet again seems to have another reason to be mad.
Okay so Winn has Ice. That's a cool power.
I'm not sure that Vankous' power would be called, though looks like its something with mind control?
Harry seems to have strength or something along those lines.
While poor James is just human. Poor guy.

"Let's move," said Harry.

And we're off! Everyone is out and ready to attack it looks like. Hmm wonder how this is going to go.
Though if James is human how is he going to help with the others having to get him out of situations such as the one just now?

Two hours! That a very long time, not sure if I'll be able to wait that long.
Hehe Harry is funny. Though aren't they going to form a plan before going a head with the attack? Unless they already did it?

"That was strange," said Winn.

Huh this group just took on a whole new level of crazy, their not even going to form a plan just for safety? Though they do have powers...well most of them do so I guess they don't really need to form a plan...? I still would if I were them but oh well.
And that's this bathroom thing? I guess it's something in the main story, so when I go to read that I'll find out. :D

Well that's all for now! Can't wait to read the next part, I've always wanted to read one of your action scenes so looks like that the next one up! Do you mind tagging me?

As I'm sure you already know this was a amazing chapter and I loved every part of it! Your characters are really funny and memorable, and all of them seem to be the same but so different at the same time.

Again hope you don't mind me reviewing?

Have a great day and continue to write! :D

Your friend
FlamingPhoenix.
Reviewing with a fiery passion!

HarryHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!! :D

Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.
— Willie Nelson