a series of unfortunate events.

by thepages

life, to me,

is but one hell of a movie,

quite hard in the making,

with casts and ques

and scenes to be curated,

but all the same...

it must come to an end,

with words of eulogy,

accompanying this, my series of unfortunate events.

if your life was a novel, what would be the tittle? 

silented1 says...

This poem is pretty good, I'd throw a simile in to work up the profound side of the poem.

Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:12 am
Book_Dragon wrote a review...

Hello! Book_Dragon here for a really quick review.

I really like this poem. It's short and simple, but also deep. My favorite part is, "it must come to an end, with words of eulogy" because it's haunting. The critique I have is spelling. (Title only has one T). Other than that, everything is great!

Good job,

Book_Dragon

anne27 wrote a review...

Hi thepages!! I'm Anne here to review your work!!

" We are the hero of our own story."
Mary McCarthy

I wondered whether this sentence could be better said, and then I read this poem. Fantastic job! I must say.

The structure of the poem was sweet and simple, the uncapitalized words(which seem deliberate) provide it a very neat and stylish look.
The title, however,was a little confusing at first. I do wish there was more said on that. It was only given a line in its own poem. How sad. You could have elaborated a little, that movies can be what we make them. Gloomy or joyous. Or what other cast members make them. Fortunate or unfortunate. And that too- how? What happened with the main character that he calls it a series of unfortunate events.

The meaning hit straight at the heart. Well expressed, well written

but all the same...

it must come to an end,

with words of eulogy,

I loved these lines, the analogy of the credits and the eulogy at the end. Amazing!!! Left me speechless! (That's why I'm typing :P)

As for the last line, well you must know what my novel would be called 'The diary of Anne (frank)'
Just kidding!

Overall, I really liked your poem and its beautiful expression. Well done. Keep writing

ArctiWolf wrote a review...

Great rhymes! A good poem overall. It says what we all think from time to time. I've never really thought about what the title of my life would be, you've really got me thinking. I don't really like bad language, it typically takes away from the picture as a whole. However, I think this instance was used in a way that added to the poem.

Hopefully, your series of unfortunate events come to a close. I will have to think about 'the title of my life' for a while. Poetry is meant to make people think, at least good poetry is. I want to say more good things about this poem, but I'm running out of words to use. I guess there is one more thing and it's that there is nothing wrong with this poem! Seriously though I found no errors, so keep it up!

I enjoyed the poem and look forward to seeing more from you. Until then, happy writing!

Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:01 pm
brookeallo wrote a review...

I loved the poem I like reading poems that have a different scheme/rhythm and this one definently did. I think maybe the punctuation might be a little off. By using so many commas it kind of messes with the flow a little bit. There's is some really good vocabulary in here like the ones that relate to movies, (casts/ques/eulogy) which help support the simile of life being like a movie. The last sentence did kinda interrupt the poem cause it shifted the idea from movies to novels. I think it might sound a little bit better and help with the title being a series of unfortunate events if you revealed that would be the title of your movie in the last sentence, then asked the question for the readers so something like this.

"Life to me,
is but one hell of a movie,
quite hard in the making
with casts and ques
and scenes still left to be curated,
but all the same,
it must come to an end
with words of eulogy.
accompanying this
is my movie of life,
what i would call my series of unfortunate events.
Now its time for you to choose,
If your life was a movie filled with scenes and events,
What would you choose to title it?"

thepages says...

i see, thanks ;)

Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:07 pm
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

The title hooks the reader from the beginning. I spent a long time interpreting your poem and here u go with my interpretation.

Yes, life indeed is hard, hardest of all the things. Harder than enduring the Sun's rays from a small distance. I have heard of this lines: life is a book, life is a movie, etc. but never thought of fedding them into a poem, the great thought which u have thought.

“Making life is quite hard”
Making life is really hard... Once turned in the opposite direction, quite laborious to turn to the right way. The scenes of life is the scenes of reality seldom shown in movies, indeed they are hard to make.

The line ‘it must come to an end’ hit me hard. Every life comes to an end making ppl cry as ppl cry when characters die in a movie.

where u name your life as ‘a series of unfortunate events’, it portrays how miserable you feel about life. Hope everything's right. And I love the ending. My answer: I am yet to think what life is. But, surely a complex thing.

You really did an amazing job portraying your emotions and feelings in the poem. It's a short poem, yet it portrays an eternal image.

Keep writing!!!

thepages says...

thanks...yep things are quite fine my ends, thanks for the concern.

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:31 pm
sakeofvanity05 wrote a review...

This was a fun, compelling read!

life, to me, is but one hell of a movie,
quite hard in the making,
with casts and ques
and scenes to be curated,

^The theatrical, dramatic imagery you've formed has really grabbed my attention by a hook!

but all the same...
it must come to an end,

^The transitioning detail into a more solemn, somber train of thought creates a fantastically cynical voice and pessimistic realism.

with words of eulogy,

^The harsh reality and build-up to the title drop bring the point across very well! Hits cold!

[quote]if your life was a novel, what would be the tittle?[\quote]
^ I think a better way to have it end (take my suggestion lightly, if you will) would be to link the final line with the opening too, or the general depiction, if that makes sense. If it were me, I'd rework it into something like: "If your life was a novel, how would the plot play out?" rather than introducing a new idea, like a title. Although the meta concept (referring to the title-drop) is interesting, I would prefer it conclude more naturally.

~ I hope this helped :]]
Lovely piece! Keep up the good work :3

thepages says...

thanks...lemme try working on that final blend

Love is so short, forgetting is so long.
— Pablo Neruda