z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

In My Head

by pineapple321


Why do I always find the need to apologize

Even when I don't have to?

I keep myself tied up in thick rope,

Too afraid to free myself

From this overthinking

That seems to take over my mind.

Why did he act mad at me today?

Why won't she answer me?

What

did

I

do

       wrong?

It's funny because it is usually nothing.

I usually have done nothing wrong.

It's all in my head.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 1367
Reviews: 29

Donate
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:58 pm
View Likes
Shayna Basu wrote a review...



Hey There !!!!
Firstly congratulations on your fantastic and glorious poem !!!
It was indeed stunning and striking for an ardent poetry reader and writer like myself.....
This poem is so realistic, painfully true and relatable for any person irrespective of age.... right from middle school till our death bed..... We always intent to overthink and never know the real issue that drives us crazy....sometimes we are just innocent and done nothing wrong yet take the blame because we are too coward to free ourselves from the thick rope that has tightly tied us with overwhelming thoughts ....

Your poem has successfully made people aware the true cause of overthinking ...Its always just in our head ....we are always cooking up stories in our heads of how one must have reacted or how one must have kept silent even when they shouldn't ......Most of the time its the human mind that creates these errors and we always tend to overlook them ....
Your poem has offered a realistic and straightforward view on this issue which is indeed admirable


Continue your marvelous work!!!




pineapple321 says...


Thank you so much for your review :D
It made my day!



Random avatar

Points: 2
Reviews: 5

Donate
Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:32 pm
View Likes
Coraline wrote a review...



I love this poem. It is so painfully true, and for so many people. And you put it into words perfectly.
"I keep myself tied up in thick rope,

Too afraid to free myself"

These two sentences are amazing. And I think that no matter in what situation every person can relate to them.
You described such an abstract feeling in such a strong way with only words. Not everybody has this talent.
keep up the absolutely amazing work!
~coraline




pineapple321 says...


Thank you so much! I%u2019m glad you enjoyed it :D



User avatar
26 Reviews


Points: 19
Reviews: 26

Donate
Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:59 pm
View Likes
NightsInWhiteSatin wrote a review...



I liked this one, you have shown very well how it feels to overthink. That is the great power of this poem, how relatable it is. I especially liked the lines: "I keep myself tied up in thick rope, Too afraid to free myself". They let us know how restrictive the whole overthinking thing is, there are so many possibilities out there and people to meet but we are constantly imprisoned in our own minds and our limitations. You show how the protagonist, who let's be fair, represents most of us in a way, starts to analize every single little thing and behaviour of the other person. In my opinion that's a very accurate represenation of overthinking, bravo to you for that. The only thing I didn't really like is how you divided the line "What did I do wrong?". It sure isn't a mistake, but I think a poem shouldn't rely on it's format. Poetry is meant to be read and expierienced emotionally, and the content of the poem should stand on it's own without fancy editing, with all that said your content does stand on it's own and is great, so consider this just a nitpick haha. The last few verses finish up the whole thing nicely. The protagonist goes through such an emotional horror, just to realize once again that it was propably all for nothing, that things are okay, and the real problems are in our heads, and in how we tend to overthink everything.




pineapple321 says...


Thank you so much for your review, I'm glad you enjoyed reading!



User avatar
45 Reviews


Points: 69
Reviews: 45

Donate
Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:50 am
View Likes
rida wrote a review...



Good morning/evening/afternoon/night/whatever time of the day it is when you’re reading this!
Rida here for a review!
(P.S my review might be very,very,very unhelpful because I haven’t reviewed in a long time but I’ll try to make it helpful)

What I L O V E D

What I L O V E D about this poem is it’s message: it’s sooooo relatable!
I also liked how you didn’t twist up the message and laid it plain and straight- it’s easier to understand that way :P

“ What

did

I

do

wrong?”

I love how you’ve broken this sentence into this kind of formatting, it adds a really good emphasis on the part!

now for a bit of teensy tiny little nitpicks

Why do I always find the need to apologize

Even when I don't have to?

I keep myself tied up in thick rope,

Too afraid to free myself

From this overthinking

That seems to take over my mind.

Why did he act mad at me today?

Why won't she answer me?

What

did

I

do

wrong?

It's funny because it is usually nothing.|

I usually have done nothing wrong | ~>

I thought the ending was a bit too…… flat. Abrupt. Maybe you could try and use different metaphors or something like that to help…. Just my opinion :/


It's all in my head. |



I’m so sorry the review wasn’t very helpful..
Keep writing!
-rida




pineapple321 says...


Thank you for your review and critiques!



User avatar
58 Reviews


Points: 226
Reviews: 58

Donate
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:16 pm
View Likes
YourFriendQuirks08 wrote a review...



Heya, Rubes here with a review!

(First of all, just know that I am a 13 year old writer just wanting to write and review other's work; this review may be a bit under level or irrelevant to the advice you actually need. Either way, I will try my best to review fairly and all that.)

First impressions: I really like it, the short style helps bring out the short explanation for overthinking. It is hard to really describe coming from someone who overthinks far too much. It really works and sounds frantic in some areas to convey the message and emotions of overthinking.

Delving deeper now!

Why do I always find the need to apologize


I like this. It is simple and pretty much describes one side of overthinking. You always try to come up with reasons as to why you are wrong when you don't want to believe you have done anything wrongly. So we overthink about it even when we try to make ourselves stop - if that makes any sense whatsoever.

I keep myself tied up in thick rope,

Too afraid to free myself


I totally feel these 2 lines. Feeling like your comfort/normal space is the place where you can't think straight and worry about 'stupid' things. I like the use of the metaphoric device used too, it gives the reader imagery of strangling, choking, slowly rotting away in tight rope as you said.

Why did he act mad at me today?

Why won't she answer me?


The classic rhetorical questions, questioning both yourself and other's decisions and putting it against yourself even if you can't possibly control the outcomes.

It's funny because it is usually nothing.

I usually have done nothing wrong.


It is a nice near ending I guess. I am not too sure on the 2nd line; it just doesn't quite work for me. Maybe instead of that you could use:

"It's funny because it is usually nothing.
Usually nothing I have done wrongfully"

It just flows better this way.

I hope this review helped a bit; overall it was excellent and deserves more recognition. Have a good day/night,
Rubes x




pineapple321 says...


Thank you so much for this kind review!



User avatar
49 Reviews


Points: 193
Reviews: 49

Donate
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:31 pm
View Likes
TheWordsOfWolf wrote a review...



Hi, Hello, Greetings, Salutations, good morning, good evening, good afternoon, goodnight, and good day or whatever is may be in the universe which you chosen to live in at present. I could go on but I have a review to get to.
Anyway, Wolf here on her quest to make the green room empty!
I really relate to this poem as I'm sure many do. It tackles something people are afraid to speak of something that is in itself, in a way, fear and that thing is anxiety.
Its such a humble and raw little poem.
my only suggestion at the moment is to add more explanation around the line "I keep myself tied up in thick ropes"
in closing remarks, put quite simply, I loved this poem and I believe @WrenZorya would as well.
Keep writing! look forward to seeing more in the future.
as always, Wolf




pineapple321 says...


Thank you so much for this review!



User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:55 am
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy wrote a review...



Hi pineapple321,

Mailice here with a short review! :D

This poem was a little too comprehensible for me when I read it. I had this feeling like you stole some of my thoughts and pasted them here. :D

But I also think this might be a little too disorienting for some readers when they read it and don't directly grasp what it's about because they've never entertained such thoughts. You could have maybe expanded on that self-doubt in some places and given some more examples.

But I also like how you kept it so short, and immediately start to get your head around it and fall deeper into it, before ending with this comment that it's all in the head. I like how the structure breaks down like that at one point and you've portrayed that visually well.

I keep myself tied up in thick rope,
Too afraid to free myself

I like how you point out that you alone are responsible for having these thoughts. I think that's also a great point in general because a lot of people who have these doubts blame other people and there's a distortion of reality.

Why did he act mad at me today?
Why won't she answer me?

I strongly suspect that this arguing or thinking that he acted mad is nothing more than an exaggeration of one's own head and also that she hasn't answered yet has other things to focus on at the moment.

From this overthinking that seems to take over my mind.

This is the only point where I think you could change the structure a bit. Because of its length, this line stands out and is also very intimidating. If you split it in two, I think it would look better.

I can't really say anywhere that this needed to be highlighted for me, as the entire poem should be highlighted in itself by your linguistic achievement of putting these thoughts into words in the first place without them fading away. :D

It was a really simple yet very good poem in just a few words with a portrayal of the doubts of a more quiet / neurotic or generally reserved person. I liked that you focused more on foregrounding and portraying here rather than blaming.

Have fun writing!

Mailice.




pineapple321 says...


Thank you so much for this kind review!




But even the worst decisions we make don't necessarily remove us from the circle of humanity.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore