z

Young Writers Society



India

by Phillauthet


There exists a land,
With culture old as the seas,
Precious is her sand,
A home to all refugees.

Here, wisdom is not
Only for the wise
Even kids' tales are sought,
To guide, and advise.

Traditions are not only
For the orthodox throng
Practices followed nobly,
Thousands years long.

There are forts and temples
In the thousands and lakhs,
Each with own principles
And never any lacks.

Most people will doubt
The existence of such a land,
If they knew not about
Her greatness, firsthand.

This great mother,
With much proud fame
Like her, none other
For INDIA, is her name!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
32 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 32

Donate
Mon May 10, 2021 8:43 pm



Wow! I've never thought about India in this way, you paint a vivid picture in my imagination. India sounds so beautiful, now I want to go there!




User avatar
278 Reviews


Points: 18564
Reviews: 278

Donate
Mon May 10, 2021 6:34 am
LittleLee wrote a review...



Hey there Phil!

It's a nice poem you've got here, but I'd like to tentatively point out that its accuracy is rather questionable, and as such a lot of non-Indians won't be able to give all the feedback they could have normally, not unless they're really into current affairs of the world.

Practices followed nobly,

Perhaps an example of these noble practices could be provided. That would certainly build on what you're claiming.

Most people will doubt
The existence of such a land,
If they knew not about
Her greatness, firsthand.

This stanza feels more like an attack on anyone who tries to criticise what you've claimed earlier about the country; "You have doubts? That's because you've never been to India."
I recommend removing the stanza. It doesn't contribute anything as such.

Like her, none other
For INDIA, is her name!

Not the best way to end the poem. The grammar is a bit choppy, and the unnecessary capitalization doesn't add much to the feel of the poem.


My overall thoughts:
I like how you maintained your rhyme scheme throughout. Often people give up quality for a rhyme, using words that are out of context, but you don't seem to have done that, so good job.
Again, though, I'd like to point out that criticising this poem is a delicate task.

Have a good day!
~Lee




Phillauthet says...


Thanks for the review! I was actually under a time and word limit when I wrote this, and I didn't have any idea of sharing it with non-Indians. I understand your points, and I'll try to build on them!



LittleLee says...


If you wrote this with limits, then it's actually very good. :)



Random avatar

Points: 0
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sun May 09, 2021 6:47 am
Ruthie4u says...



Hi! I really loved to poem. It is simple and clear yet touches on the important points of the country and its features.

There are forts and temples
In the thousands and lakhs,
Each with own principles
And never any lacks.

I loved this para; however like illy7896 comments, I too feel that the last sentence, especially the word "lacks" could have been replaced with something more substantial. The lacks; although rhymes, doesn't flow well with the previous verses.

I also loved the last verse:

This great mother,
With much proud fame
Like her, none other
For INDIA, is her name!

Very aptly ended

All in all, a good piece. Keep it up!




Phillauthet says...


Thanks!



User avatar
110 Reviews


Points: 83
Reviews: 110

Donate
Sat May 08, 2021 9:16 pm
illy7896 wrote a review...



Firstly, I love the fairly simple but very effective rhyming scheme that you have applied here and how each verse ties up together and each line corresponds with the other. I think that this is a very creative way to express your love for your country and to perhaps share your own personal view of Indian culture with others which is awesome!

I loved the verse:

There exists a land,
With culture old as the seas,
Precious is her sand,
A home to all refugees.


because it gives such an explicit yet magical description of India's land and terrain and not only of the country's geographical nature but even her influence on others and how others people view her as indicated by the 'precious is her sand, a home to all refugees'. Maybe, when you said 'a home to all refugees', you can exclude the 'a' and just keep it as 'home to all refugees.' I reckon that this would diminish the amount of words used and make it more simple and sweet!

However, with the line:

Each with own principles
And never any lacks.


I thought that though it was good and consistent, the last word 'lacks' could be replaced with something that gives greater imagery. Perhaps you could replace the whole last line itself to make it give more vivid context and link back to the idea of forts and temples; something spiritual or philosophical maybe?

Overall, I adored this poem and you have such a great vocabulary and I loved the way you wrote this. Keep writing!




Phillauthet says...


Thank you : ) Will work on the points, glad you liked it!



illy7896 says...


No problem!




It is a happiness to wonder; it is a happiness to dream.
— Edgar Allan Poe